King, Randall, Carroll, etc

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it me or does our Defense always have some idiot playing opposite a stud CB that costs us games

Save for the SB year obviously...and 2014 with Shields and Tramon and Hyde in slot

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it me or does our Defense always have some idiot playing opposite a stud CB that costs us games

I'd need to know how old you are before I can answer that, I'm 35 and it is just you. If you're younger than it is possible, because yes, we have struggled to find that solid more than one year CB2 outside.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd need to know how old you are before I can answer that, I'm 35 and it is just you. If you're younger than it is possible, because yes, we have struggled to find that solid more than one year CB2 outside.

32. We had McKenzie and Harris (other guy before Al, can't remember his name) way back... but I think moreso in the Aaron Rodgers years and later years of Brett we have really had some bad ones. Earlier years of Brett we had some pretty decent tandems with no real superstar, but very consistent and reliable types

But especially in the Rodgers years, my God... it basically seems like we have some stud (Shields, Gunter, J'Aire) and just total trash out of the league type opposite him

Chandon Sullivan is an UDFA, who has done well in my opinion given his circumstances, but he routinely plays as our Number 2 or Number 3 opposite J'aire.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had Shields, Tramon, and Woodson for a while.

Good CB’s are hard to find. We have unfortunately not done well at finding them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
32. We had McKenzie and Harris (other guy before Al, can't remember his name) way back... but I think moreso in the Aaron Rodgers years and later years of Brett we have really had some bad ones. Earlier years of Brett we had some pretty decent tandems with no real superstar, but very consistent and reliable types

But especially in the Rodgers years, my God... it basically seems like we have some stud (Shields, Gunter, J'Aire) and just total trash out of the league type opposite him

Chandon Sullivan is an UDFA, who has done well in my opinion given his circumstances, but he routinely plays as our Number 2 or Number 3 opposite J'aire.

Um....no. Sullivan *is our inside slot CB. Motion and rare calls do put him outside, but no.

*soon to be was.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um....no. Sullivan *is our inside slot CB. Motion and rare calls do put him outside, but no.

*soon to be was.

I thought that was Greene?

I mean point is... Chandon Sullivan sometimes OUTPLAYS King which is pretty embarassing for King

But Sullivan is definitely playing at his ceiling at best... he's more like a 3rd or 4th good depth type guy

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL at the time he was....considering who else we had on those teams at CB depth
as I recall ....Gunter started out 5th on the depth chart that year before everyone got hurt. He may have ended up starting... but he certainly wasn’t a stud.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as I recall ....Gunter started out 5th on the depth chart that year before everyone got hurt. He may have ended up starting... but he certainly wasn’t a stud.

He was by far the best CB on that team with Shields out.

Heck, he's 28 and available.

Despite poor speed, he may actually be an upgrade over King to be honest

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As I said .... he was 5th on the depth chart....

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean he's a guy who won't likely make mental mistakes and can tackle....

He definitely isn't like a 5 interception type of guy

But we have J'Aire on the other side, so it doesn't really matter... You just basically need someone to not Eff up or get torched all the time

He played decently well against OBJ if I recall.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that was Greene?

I mean point is... Chandon Sullivan sometimes OUTPLAYS King which is pretty embarassing for King

But Sullivan is definitely playing at his ceiling at best... he's more like a 3rd or 4th good depth type guy

King and Sullivan play different positions. If you played Sullivan where King plays, he would do far worse than King.

Sullivan is a decent slot CB. Nothing more, maybe less. He should be upgraded.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I get it, frustration with someone can elevate another in our minds, let's not kid ourselves one bit that Gunter was better than King.

Folks, I know some say opinions cannot be 'wrong', but that's false - some opinions are false.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean he's a guy who won't likely make mental mistakes and can tackle....

He definitely isn't like a 5 interception type of guy

But we have J'Aire on the other side, so it doesn't really matter... You just basically need someone to not Eff up or get torched all the time

He played decently well against OBJ if I recall.

They bracketed OBJ if I remember correctly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King and Sullivan play different positions. If you played Sullivan where King plays, he would do far worse than King.

Sullivan is a decent slot CB. Nothing more, maybe less. He should be upgraded.

I cannot even begin to imagine how BAD Sullivan would be outside...it is similarly how bad Hyde would have been.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had Shields, Tramon, and Woodson for a while.

Good CB’s are hard to find. We have unfortunately not done well at finding them.

There's multiple other factors like scheme and safety play. Do safeties roam, do they provide help over the top. Is the player at the position worthless etc. IMO we have had pretty solid CBs over the years and even a few great ones. I think that right now we are dealing with a first round miss in Kevin King and the Capers Defensive black hole for draft picks. IMO we will see improved play at the position with more investment. I'm looking for perhaps 2 draft picks at CB and perhaps a Vet pickup.

More on Capers, we basically drafted multiple players who were supposed to be impact type players in Capers scheme. Randall with his background as S and CB was a perfect example. Josh Jones as well and Rollins probably fits there too. Naturally all of these guys failed to develop. I dont think Ted drafts any of these guys were it not for Capers defense and his wants as a DC.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Save for the SB year obviously...and 2014 with Shields and Tramon and Hyde in slot
Well, that is good offensive scheming by our opponents. Remember when Richard Sherman's arm was limp as a noodle in the championship game yet McCarthy never realized it? Belichek, Arians, and others scheme their best WRs to get matched up with the nickel and dime CBs (who are rarely good) so that they make big plays.

Our DC should be scheming to cover up our weaknesses to prevent them from getting exploited.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that is good offensive scheming by our opponents. Remember when Richard Sherman's arm was limp as a noodle in the championship game yet McCarthy never realized it? Belichek, Arians, and others scheme their best WRs to get matched up with the nickel and dime CBs (who are rarely good) so that they make big plays.

Our DC should be scheming to cover up our weaknesses to prevent them from getting exploited.

Absolutely, of course the vexing thing about that end of half tuddy is that that ball was basically a punt. Our deep man should have been ready for a gimme pick, but instead was nowhere to be found.

Members online

Latest posts