Kenny Clark

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else notice how good this kid has played this year? This guy hustles every play and is a straight up bully inside. The great thing is he’s only 22 years old and is really starting to come into his own. He is an incredible athlete for his size and really seems to use his hands well. I hope to see him in a GB uniform till he retires. Get well big boy

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else notice how good this kid has played this year? This guy hustles every play and is a straight up bully inside. The great thing is he’s only 22 years old and is really starting to come into his own. He is an incredible athlete for his size and really seems to use his hands well. I hope to see him in a GB uniform till he retires. Get well big boy
Oh yeah, he's been great. I can't think of many that are having a better season than he'd been having relative to their position. I read something that said he "only" had an ankle injury. That would be great news, unless it was an ankle injury like Montgomery had. I hope he can work his way back quickly. I like watching him play.

one thing I hate, is they take him out on passing downs. This kid commands, absolutely commands teams dedicated 2 players to him and still he pushes them back, you put rushers around players like that. Or you take him off the field and free up a blocker to take out our 240lb linebacker we've decided to send into 300+lb lineman instead. Maybe i'm crazy, but I think our pass rush would be far more effective running the smaller faster pass rushers around the big guys eating up blockers and pushing the pocket rather than running them straight into the blockers to get eaten up.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, he's been great. I can't think of many that are having a better season than he'd been having relative to their position. I read something that said he "only" had an ankle injury. That would be great news, unless it was an ankle injury like Montgomery had. I hope he can work his way back quickly. I like watching him play.

one thing I hate, is they take him out on passing downs. This kid commands, absolutely commands teams dedicated 2 players to him and still he pushes them back, you put rushers around players like that. Or you take him off the field and free up a blocker to take out our 240lb linebacker we've decided to send into 300+lb lineman instead. Maybe i'm crazy, but I think our pass rush would be far more effective running the smaller faster pass rushers around the big guys eating up blockers and pushing the pocket rather than running them straight into the blockers to get eaten up.

That would make too much sense.

H

HardRightEdge

...one thing I hate, is they take [Clark] out on passing downs.
Clark's defensive snap count this season is 73.1% to date with some time missed. That's a high count for a big man. By way of comparison, Daniels' snap count in 2016 was 65.3% playing all 16 games. So, you want to run Clark up to 80% and burn him out like the Packers did to Raji?

Clearly, given that snap count, Clark has been in on more than his fair share of pass plays. You may not have noticed because his pass rush has been unimpactful in most games.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know he's been playing a lot of downs, and I know big guys need breaks, but i'm tired of the light fronts on passing downs. We get better pressure with big guys and not blitzing half the time it seems. So we take them all off and give up another 3rd and 15. Maybe it doesn't work. or maybe instead of another series, Clark only has to play one more down. It's not just him, it's that we leave 1 sometimes 0 big guys on the field and run 240 pounders into an offensive line, only to see no push, no pressure and a 3rd and 16 converted, again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just keeping an eye on the news to find out Kenny was smoking a doobie while speeding down the road in a stolen car. Some draft picks are too good to be true. :coffee:

H

HardRightEdge

i know he's been playing a lot of downs, and I know big guys need breaks, but i'm tired of the light fronts on passing downs. We get better pressure with big guys and not blitzing half the time it seems. So we take them all off and give up another 3rd and 15. Maybe it doesn't work. or maybe instead of another series, Clark only has to play one more down. It's not just him, it's that we leave 1 sometimes 0 big guys on the field and run 240 pounders into an offensive line, only to see no push, no pressure and a 3rd and 16 converted, again.
Regardless, a 73% snap count is too high for any extended period of time so more snaps for Clark is clearly not the answer. If you want Clark to take more passing down snaps, then what you want is another run-defending DL, a guy like Guion for example.

There's no point in burning out a good young player in a lost season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not advocating burning out a rising young player on a wasted season. I'm not even saying he needs more snaps. Use the big guys you have and rotate them, but quit taking off Daniels and Clark or putting just one out there on passing downs. Let them push that pocket and then bring some other guys off of their push. Quit running linebackers right into an offensive lineman.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Quit running linebackers right into an offensive lineman.

Can you please print this on a large sign and send it to Capers? Seems like that is all we see....blitzes....right into bodies. You and i have been talking Badger Football. Think of how many times you see a Badger Linebacker stunt and go in completely unblocked. Different levels of talent in the NFL for sure, but it is suppose to be the same level of talent on both sides of the ball.

H

HardRightEdge

i'm not advocating burning out a rising young player on a wasted season. I'm not even saying he needs more snaps. Use the big guys you have and rotate them, but quit taking off Daniels and Clark or putting just one out there on passing downs. Let them push that pocket and then bring some other guys off of their push. Quit running linebackers right into an offensive lineman.
Well, those two guys happen to be the best run defenders. And they happen to be better run defenders than pass rushers. So, there's that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, those two guys happen to be the best run defenders. And they happen to be better run defenders than pass rushers. So, there's that.
There is that, there's also a group they rotate in as well. There's also this defenses propensity to give up 3rd and longs like they're going out of style with a bunch of lightweights providing zero push of the pocket on the field in those situations.

And they don't have to be the pass rushers, they eat blockers and push the pocket allowing the pass rushers to use them and pick areas to attack. Would sure beat sending linebackers into lineman and watching them get stoned at the LOS and seeing clean pockets for opposing QBs time and time again.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is that, there's also a group they rotate in as well. There's also this defenses propensity to give up 3rd and longs like they're going out of style with a bunch of lightweights providing zero push of the pocket on the field in those situations.

And they don't have to be the pass rushers, they eat blockers and push the pocket allowing the pass rushers to use them and pick areas to attack. Would sure beat sending linebackers into lineman and watching them get stoned at the LOS and seeing clean pockets for opposing QBs time and time again.
Thought it was Allison and Jones that were getting stoned.

H

HardRightEdge

And that circles back to the snap count. What you want is better DL stoppers in rotation to free up the better pass rushers to rush. The Packers don't have that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I want is to see if putting Daniels and Clark at least on the field with rushers attacking off their push a few times and see how it works. If it works, surely an extra 3rd down play is worth not having to play another series.

H

HardRightEdge

What I want is to see if putting Daniels and Clark at least on the field with rushers attacking off their push a few times and see how it works. If it works, surely an extra 3rd down play is worth not having to play another series.
I think you're missing something. I've already noted Clark's 73.1% snap count. Daniels is at 53.4% however he missed two games and almost all of a third. At that pace he'd be right around the same 73% as Clark playing the full 10 games. These guys have been on the field together a lot rushing the passer without consistent effectiveness.

Anyway, it's kind of a moot point at this juncture. If Clark's injury is in fact a high ankle sprain, that could be 4-8 weeks depending on severity.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I fully agree...as soon as the Packers find two other reliable pass rushers to put on the field with Clark and Daniels.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark's defensive snap count this season is 73.1% to date with some time missed. That's a high count for a big man. By way of comparison, Daniels' snap count in 2016 was 65.3% playing all 16 games. So, you want to run Clark up to 80% and burn him out like the Packers did to Raji?

Clearly, given that snap count, Clark has been in on more than his fair share of pass plays. You may not have noticed because his pass rush has been unimpactful in most games.
Raji was an impactful nose. But capers uses a couple impactful Dlinemen and the rest on lbs and secondary... raji played next to another great dt at Boston college. Can't remember his name. Together their 4-3 dline dominated... in Greenbay, raji was wasted in the scheme. And he didn't like it. He finally lost motivation imo.

This is where my thoughts are on the whole thing. The old days of the 4-3 Front are all but over. Today's heavy front is a real 3-4-4 or 3-3-5. Capers runs a 2-4-5 with a 3rd safety at ilb...

I bet in the old run first NFL, the 3-4-4 was a crazy idea when it first came out. And I'm not saying capers 2-4-5 isn't a great idea... but not 3/4 of the defensive snaps....

Imo. The dline needs to be the priority... Thompson drafted Clark, and Adams in 1St, 3rd rounds and paid Daniels... but that's where he seems to stop!

We had some good depth. Guion, Francois, price, and the year before released Pennell. lowry, injured rookie Adams. And added dial....

And all we have after Clark goes down is lowry, dial, Daniels, adams.... that's it!?

This defense is going to suffer without Clark I suspect....

H

HardRightEdge

This defense is going to suffer without Clark I suspect....
I would expect so. Pittsburgh has a running back I hear is pretty good, LOL. That's going to be a challenge.

Expect a lot of Ryan/Martinez in combo again like last week. That seems to be the plan this year against teams that can run the ball. I only went half blind watching the replay of the Ravens game. There were actually some good things going on out there, including Ryan/Martinez. They got mixed up on who was covering a TE on an early second half play that went for good yards, but other than that they looked pretty solid in run and pass.

Take away the positives where you can find them. There's always next year.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are you suggesting the Packers switch to a 3-4 defense? Something that actually fits their personnel?

Members online

Latest posts