Just checking up on the Sherminator

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering just how the Sherminator was doing in his new gig at Texas A&M. His 2008 record was as follows...overall 4 wins, 8 losses. Conference record 2 wins, 6 losses. Standing tied for 5th. No conference division titles, no conference titles, no National Championships, no bowl games. Pretty impressive start there, Mikey! Probably surviving by telling the media they are in a rebuilding year, and that they have made great improvements.

:happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering just how the Sherminator was doing in his new gig at Texas A&M. His 2008 record was as follows...overall 4 wins, 8 losses. Conference record 2 wins, 6 losses. Standing tied for 5th. No conference division titles, no conference titles, no National Championships, no bowl games. Pretty impressive start there, Mikey! Probably surviving by telling the media they are in a rebuilding year, and that they have made great improvements.

I liked him. Not as a GM, though...

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you asked.....

I live and work in Texas and many of my coworkers are A&M alumni and rabid football fans, so I hear a lot about what's going on there.

Sherman inherited a program that was in shambles in every possible sense of the word. A&M is at a traditional disadvantage in getting top recruits who usually go to UT or Oklahoma. And in fact, over the past 50 years only a couple of coaches have managed to win consistently there, including Bear Bryant and RC Slocum.

Last year's team had very little talent, but they've had a good season of recruiting so the talent will be a little better but they're also going to be young.....A&M will be playing lots of freshmen and sophomores this year. Last year, they had a freshman QB and two freshman WRs who both figure to be better this year.

Nonetheless, they are being picked to finish in the bottom of the their division.

I know that people who really want to denigrate Sherman will look at a bad season as an opportunity to say "I told you so", but it's going to be another year or two before you can really evaluate what he's doing with that team because it takes a few years to recruit and develop the players you want before it starts paying big dividends on the field.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sherman had a better record than your Lord and Savior, Thom P. Tedson (aka Mr. 31-33), but we shan't let facts get in the way, shall we, when you have your lips firmly planted on Thompson a**.....

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah D.Levens might be time to move on past the decisions that TT made years ago. Playing out like a broken record now a days, borderline whiny. We understand, lots of people were upset with his decisions, but we are looking FORWARD to the upcoming football season.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No dogs around for you to kick today? Nice work. Your family is very proud of you.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only Lambeau, Lombardi & Holmgren have better coaching records in Green Bay than Mike Sherman. Had he done better in playoffs and gotten his team to the Super Bowl once or twice during his 7 years he'd be celebrated with them in Packers history. He had 6 winning seasons and 5 playoff teams in those 7 years. His one losing season his team was decimated by injuries bt was still competitive; most of the losses were 7 pts. or less. He's taken a lot of heat for his drafts and free agency moves as general manager and anumber of those didn't produce for the club. But we're still playing with Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett, Al Harris, Cullen Jenkins, Scott Wells who were all Sherman draft picks, trades or free agency acquisitions. Sherman can't be faulted for not trying or for achieving a considerable measure of success for the Packers. But I don't think he took kindly to his demotion from gm and probably had some issues with authority toward Ted Thompson that were decisive in TT's decision to let him go. Give Sherm some time to achieve success in his college gig and he'll be getting looked at again for an NFL head coaching job somewhere.

OP
OP
A

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only Lambeau, Lombardi & Holmgren have better coaching records in Green Bay than Mike Sherman. Had he done better in playoffs and gotten his team to the Super Bowl once or twice during his 7 years he'd be celebrated with them in Packers history. He had 6 winning seasons and 5 playoff teams in those 7 years. His one losing season his team was decimated by injuries bt was still competitive; most of the losses were 7 pts. or less. He's taken a lot of heat for his drafts and free agency moves as general manager and anumber of those didn't produce for the club. But we're still playing with Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett, Al Harris, Cullen Jenkins, Scott Wells who were all Sherman draft picks, trades or free agency acquisitions. Sherman can't be faulted for not trying or for achieving a considerable measure of success for the Packers. But I don't think he took kindly to his demotion from gm and probably had some issues with authority toward Ted Thompson that were decisive in TT's decision to let him go. Give Sherm some time to achieve success in his college gig and he'll be getting looked at again for an NFL head coaching job somewhere.
Perhaps it is too early to lay down judgement on the Sherminator for his record at A&M. However, I feel more than justified in my disappointment in his overall coaching abilities. I am not impressed with his lofty record at Green Bay. He clearly inherited a team loaded with talent, and in my opinion, proceeded to, well, do nothing with it. He had a future hall of famer Favre for a QB, some pretty damn good running backs, and a high powered offense, yet continually, year after year come up short in the playoffs. He managed to parlay that experience into another coaching gig at Houston, where he did...well, nothing again. All he had to do with GB was maintain it, just like Mike Tomlin is doing for the Steelers. If I had to watch ol' Mr. no-emotion look up at the scoreboard after losing another game by 7 points, I was going to croak. He was about as high strung as a Christmas bulb. I never saw any passion from him. As far as his college coaching career goes, the bar has been set pretty high by Pete Carrol for that gig. He needs to produce championships and send players to the NFL. Until that happens, I'll consider him a bust. I'll wait about 3 more years to see him get out of football completely.

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman had a better record than your Lord and Savior, Thom P. Tedson (aka Mr. 31-33), but we shan't let facts get in the way, shall we, when you have your lips firmly planted on Thompson a**.....

Please keep talking about TT, regardless of what his apologists say.

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah D.Levens might be time to move on past the decisions that TT made years ago. Playing out like a broken record now a days, borderline whiny. We understand, lots of people were upset with his decisions, but we are looking FORWARD to the upcoming football season.

You guys just want all of us TT haters to sit quietly and let him continue to ruin the team. Regardless of the few of you on this board, there are MANY TT haters who are not going to give him a break, nor does he deserve one.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys just want all of us TT haters to sit quietly and let him continue to ruin the team. Regardless of the few of you on this board, there are MANY TT haters who are not going to give him a break, nor does he deserve one.
No, we don't want you to give a break. We want you to at least admit that we have a good team, a GREAT qb, a couple of GREAT receivers, a GREAT CB and that not all TT's moves are horrible. Because if you don't, you're just that: TT haters...