Just A Thought.....

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
This may seem dumb to some but... What if a team went clean house (a bad one like lets say the Jaguars) and drafted and picked up a whole team straight out of college. I know in the short run this won't be successful but after a few years your whole team will be young and in their prime. They would be athletic and would be easier to mold with no veterans to interfere with them. You would need a good coaching staff of course.

As I said this is just an idea. An intriguing one to me. Thoughts?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I like the idea but I think it wouldn't mold correctly without a single veteran on the roster for the whole rookie class to look up to and learn from. But it could be possible, you never know.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I like the idea but I think it wouldn't mold correctly without a single veteran on the roster for the whole rookie class to look up to and learn from. But it could be possible, you never know.

I think it might. I look at a few college teams and know they could beat these lower end NFL teams.

Reaction score
If I were the Bills right now, I would definitely do that. It would be something for them to look forward to.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you drafted an entire team out of college, I'd imagine it'll go like this.

First 3 years, they'll be awful. Next 4 years, they'll be SB contenders. Then the last 3 years, you'll be awful again. And then you start over.

They'll have a hard time winning games until they get used to the NFL enough for them to play good football. Then, they'll gain even more experience when they make it to the postseason for their first taste of playoff football. After a few contending years, you'll have a team full of washed up vets looking to either retire or become free agents. Then, you start over by drafting another college team and the cycle begins again.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may seem dumb to some but... What if a team went clean house (a bad one like lets say the Jaguars) and drafted and picked up a whole team straight out of college. I know in the short run this won't be successful but after a few years your whole team will be young and in their prime. They would be athletic and would be easier to mold with no veterans to interfere with them. You would need a good coaching staff of course.

As I said this is just an idea. An intriguing one to me. Thoughts?
Thing is, playing bad and losing for 3 years straight can do a number on your team. If a QB is sacked multiple times and hit multiple times in 3 years, he has a tendency to develop happy feet. Players can lose morale and never develop.

I understand the logic, but if you're that bad of a franchise, there's also the distinct possibility that your scouts aren't that good in finding great college players, that your coaches aren't that great in developing talent...

There's also the monetary issue. Who's gonna attend games and buy merchandise if you tell them your team is gonna suck for 3 years? The franchise would be broke by then.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
If you drafted an entire team out of college, I'd imagine it'll go like this.

First 3 years, they'll be awful. Next 4 years, they'll be SB contenders. Then the last 3 years, you'll be awful again. And then you start over.

They'll have a hard time winning games until they get used to the NFL enough for them to play good football. Then, they'll gain even more experience when they make it to the postseason for their first taste of playoff football. After a few contending years, you'll have a team full of washed up vets looking to either retire or become free agents. Then, you start over by drafting another college team and the cycle begins again.
I understand your logic here. But you gotta remember they will be drafting 7 fresh young guys every season along with any undrafted players they pick up as well. Keeps the steady flow going. I'm just thinkin some teams have been in a rut for a while and need a fresh start like this.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it might. I look at a few college teams and know they could beat these lower end NFL teams.

If the best college football team played the worst football team, I think it would be: Carolina 85 Wisconsin 3. I heard a college coach asked this question a few years ago, his team had just won the championship. He said it would be a slaughter. There is no way the college offense would be able to handle the complexities of a pro defense. Remember these kids practice a fraction of the time that the pros do. Even the best of college teams will only have 3 or 4 players who are NFL ready. How are they going to compete against an entire team of NFL capable players?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like AmishMafia's response to this but would like to expand.

Having an entire team of young guys would be a great thing...if they were all top prospects at their position every single year. The fact is in the draft this can never happen, sure you can find a sleeper every now and then but the vast majority of players graduating college or declaring for the draft do not turn out well. You can see an example of this by looking at past nfl drafts.

You usually want to add 1-3 pieces, you never wanted to add 22 offensive/defensive starters and special teams players and try to win games. There are a few reasons veterans are important 1. they have the capability to be another coach on and off the field either by work ethic, guidance, or both. 2. there playing ability has allowed them to be around for a while whereas young guys coming out of college have no experience at all.

All that said I don't think a team that just drafted all new starters would win a game.

Members online

Latest posts