JSonline - Update - FA's in the fold

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers picked up some depth at linebacker by signing Michigan's Roy Manning and Alabama-Birmingham's Zac Woodfin to free-agent contracts.

The Packers also signed Chaz Williams (5-10, 213), a quarterback from Georgia Southern who will be converted to running back and kick returner.

...good LB signings, Roy Manning always was a force. Again, I like to see
big college guys brought in, I think they adjust easier to the NFL. Woodfin, if he tackles like the numbers show, good.

Chaz Williams, alright, another kick returner, this Terrence Murphy kid better be really good, why do we keep bringing in kick returners (bragg, williams) if we found it necessary to reach for murphy at #58.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
The Green Bay Packers picked up some depth at linebacker by signing Michigan's Roy Manning.

i like it. i agree with the big school thing. the jump isn't so shocking if you are used to playing in front of 100k every saturday.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
JavonWalker084 said:
The Green Bay Packers picked up some depth at linebacker by signing Michigan's Roy Manning.

i like it. i agree with the big school thing. the jump isn't so shocking if you are used to playing in front of 100k every saturday.

This Manning guy was so saut after, why didn't anyone draft him? I keep reading how he had 5-7 teams offering him contracts.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thankfully, a few here understand the significance of drafting from major universities w/ successful football programs. It's just common sense that more than likely these players have recieved better coaching, practiced and played against better competition on a regular basis, have been more successful and therefore are more likely to be NFL ready. Sure, you could probably find a good family doctor from the Uni of Memphis, but wouldn't you rather have one from Northwestern or Vanderbilt? No doubt, you can and there have been quality players found from small schools, but aren't the odds against you in the long run. GB needed to hit on this draft, yet they spent at least 1/2 their draft picks on players from small school programs or mid majors. Sherman did a lot of this in his drafts as well. I think history shows it hasn't been all that successful. I was suprised at the number of small school selections N. E. made. Then again they're a little better off than we are...not quite so many holes to fill. Checkout were the other elite NFL teams (Pitt, Philly, S.D, Indy and our division rivials drafted from. You'll find the majority of their picks were from major universities w/ outstanding football programs.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
Thankfully, a few here understand the significance of drafting from major universities w/ successful football programs. It's just common sense that more than likely these players have recieved better coaching, practiced and played against better competition on a regular basis, have been more successful and therefore are more likely to be NFL ready. Sure, you could probably find a good family doctor from the Uni of Memphis, but wouldn't you rather have one from Northwestern or Vanderbilt? No doubt, you can and there have been quality players found from small schools, but aren't the odds against you in the long run. GB needed to hit on this draft, yet they spent at least 1/2 their draft picks on players from small school programs or mid majors. Sherman did a lot of this in his drafts as well. I think history shows it hasn't been all that successful. I was suprised at the number of small school selections N. E. made. Then again they're a little better off than we are...not quite so many holes to fill.

Gotta love how denny green is running arizona, almost every player from a big school--Virginia, Miami, signed Shazor from Mich., etc.

I like Will Whittiker, steamroller guard at Michigan State, and playing in the big ten you play in front the biggest stadiums...Beaver, Camp Randle, Michigan, the horseshoe, etc...should already know how the silent count works...just because Whittiker is a 7th rounder, it doesnt mean anything, Tauscher and I believe Wahle were 7th round picks

Members online

Latest posts