Johnny Jolly applies for reinstatement

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -- Johnny Jolly is a free man, says he has been sober for eight months and is now looking for work.
Indefinitely suspended by the NFL, Jolly has applied for reinstatement and is hoping to prove he is a changed man, writes Brad Biggs of the National Football Post. Jolly hasn't played in the NFL since 2009. After multiple arrests for possession of the drug codeine led to Jolly eventually spending six months in jail. Last month, Jolly was released early from his six-month sentence after applying for "shock probation."
He is on probation for the next 10 years.
Now, the 29-year-old is aiming to resume his pro career.
“I know that the NFL doesn’t need me,” Jolly told Biggs. “I need it way more than it needs me. I really want to be a part of it and I am hoping to go back and show that I am a good reliable citizen that the league and others can depend on and trust.”
To stay clean, Jolly said he is taking "regular drug tests" and attending "extensive meetings," the article states. He adds that he is at 332 pounds and would like to lose about 10 pounds. Inmates were allowed to work out two times per day and three times when daylight savings time began, Jolly said.
Green Bay owns Jolly's rights if he is reinstated. Jolly hopes the Packers give him another chance and thinks they would.
“I think they would,” he said. “I am dedicated to really make a change in my life and come back and be a positive role model. I think I have a great shot at going back to those guys. They’re a great organization. The coaches are very good, the players are good. I know they have supported me 100 percent.
“I want to say that would be a dream come true, but I made it in the NFL before. So, I would say it would be like another dream. It would be a journey and going back to do the things I love and showing everybody you can make mistakes but it’s the way you correct the things you’ve done wrong. I want to make the Packers look good if they want to take me back or not."
Currently, the Packers have two suspended defensive ends on their roster in Anthony Hargrove (eight games) and Mike Neal (four games). Rookies Jerel Worthy and Mike Daniels were brought in, but maybe the Packers at least explore this all if Jolly is reinstated. A big "if," sure. But commissioner Roger Goodell has shown a willingness to give troubled players a second chance. The prime example, of course, is Michael Vick. After spending 21 months in jail for his involvement in a dog-fighting ring, Vick was reinstated and now he's the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles.
Maybe Jolly gets a second chance himself. From 2007- '09 with the Packers, Jolly had 74 tackles, two sacks and batted down 16 passes.

What do you guys think? I actually hope he comes back cheap and competes for a roster spot. Can't have too many of these D linemen around. After last season, I want as many men up front as humanly possible.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see him back in green and gold. But first things first, he needs to stay clean and sober so he can take back control of his life.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mixed feelings. Not "Packer people" but part of me wants to see him compete for a spot.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jolly had a problem with codeine, not violence, not gambling, not poor attitude. He was always friendly toward fans and the Packers should give him every chance at a roster spot if he is reinstated, which is something Herr Goodell should do. How much more should a man have to pay that he already has? He doesn't need to be labeled an outcast. I doubt he would ever be a starter again, but he can probably be a solid backup for a low price.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
He isn't "Packer People" but holy smokes, if someone is going to give him a look and chance it's gotta be Green Bay. I'd love to see this guy turn his life around and he seems highly motivated to make a positive impact.

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys kidding me? This wasn't a "whoops" isolated incident. After he was caught using codeine the first time, he had the nerve to brush it off and not only continue using, but he had intended to distribute, which means he was a drug dealer. While on probation he was also arrested for using a controlled substance. So he had three strikes pretty quick.

Never mind if he's a "nice guy", this is a business and unless he's COMPLETELY turned his life around I can't see the Packer organization essentially giving him a "4th" chance.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sports is all about second (and third, fourth, etc. chances). Chances are not good for him but maybe he would prove otherwise.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett got his opiates from team doctors in absolutely crazy amounts. Is that much better than getting it from purple drank like Jolly? Both were addicts and I don't think the line between the two is so great that Jolly should be banished forever. He needs help the way Brett got it.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett got his opiates from team doctors in absolutely crazy amounts. Is that much better than getting it from purple drank like Jolly? Both were addicts and I don't think the line between the two is so great that Jolly should be banished forever. He needs help the way Brett got it.

And he has a much better chance of staying clean in the NFL than he does back in Houston. If you really are rooting for him to stay clean, then you should be rooting for his reinstatement.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys kidding me? This wasn't a "whoops" isolated incident. After he was caught using codeine the first time, he had the nerve to brush it off and not only continue using, but he had intended to distribute, which means he was a drug dealer. While on probation he was also arrested for using a controlled substance. So he had three strikes pretty quick.

Never mind if he's a "nice guy", this is a business and unless he's COMPLETELY turned his life around I can't see the Packer organization essentially giving him a "4th" chance.

The intent to distribute charge was probably based on the amount of codeine that Jolly had in his possession when he was arrested, not any sort of determination about his actual intent. It's a bit naive to brand him a dealer because of the way a statute is written.

On a tangential note, self-righteousness might be the ugliest of human traits.

Regardless, Jolly was caught with the stuff multiple times and clearly had/has a substance abuse problem. But why not give him another shot when the cost to the organization is practically nil? Or at least relinquish his rights so another team can give him a look. If the guy can't make a productive living outside of prison, his chances of going back there are tremendous.

All of this is dependent on his reinstatement of course...

Shopgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he is ready for a comeback yet. Not enough understanding of his addiction yet. When he is ready he can come back to GB. I think everyone should have a second chance.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with this purple drank stuff is that you could buy all the ingredients at the store and they treated it like it was just a enhanced version of a mixed drink. While he had a large amount of coedine according to the law in his reality he had a case of liquor to stock the bar for him and his crew.

The worst thing is that he is addicted to this crap. As long as he is fighting the good fight against his addiction and winning I have no issues with him returning to the Pack.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This kid is a monster when his on the field and I for one would welcome him back. At least for tryouts.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it would be nice to have a guy like Jolly competing on the D-line. I'm for giving Jolly another chance as well, more for what it could do for the guy. Darth Garfunkel is right on about Favre and his vicodin addiction. In fact, to take that further look at Koren Robinson. He repeatedly burned the Seahawks causing Holmgren to cry when they released him. Then Koren had his drunken high speed chase in MN. Favre begged TT to bring in Koren...and he did. Koren was suspended by the league for a year and still came back to help GB. He then went back to Seattle and then I think a few minor league football teams. He cleaned himself up.

Now who knows about Jolly. The only knock that I have is that the guy didn't serve his full six year sentence. I would like to see him actually complete a stint in rehab and then agree to strict conditions if signed with Pack, such as moving to Green Bay, having someone assigned to be his live-in mentor/role model, and weekly **** tests. If he's 5 minutes late for a meeting he's on the first Greyhound out of town.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

How many of us have made mistakes in our own lives that we regret? Granted the severity of what he did may be greater, but must his punishment be componded. He has and will continue to pay the court for his actions. At this critical point in his life he could tip baskwards, however given the chance to move forward can make all the difference.
Also, realize this man is eager to prove himself and I would not want to line up accross from someone with that kind of motovation. Keep a close watch on him, but allow him an oppertunity to try. Forgiveness may follow given the way he
carries himself.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There are a couple of obvious differences between Favre and Jolly and their respective relationships with the NFL regarding their addictions: Favre voluntarily entered the NFL drug program and Jolly didn't. Another difference is Favre didn't hang out with a group of criminal thugs and Jolly did. Jolly's addiction came to light when he got arrested in a vehicle he was driving (it was never clear to me if it was his vehicle) with marijuana, an unregistered hand gun, and purple drank. He was arrested while keeping company with at least two guys with criminal records in an area of Houston known for drugs and violence. He then proceeded to show disrespect for the court system in his first appearance and of course wasn't smart enough to get out of Houston and away from his "friends" ASAP. And of course he re-offended and re-offended again.

Having said that I too believe he deserves another chance in the NFL. The irony of the NFL rules regarding suspensions for behavior emanating from addiction is many times the best atmosphere for such a person would be the NFL team's facilities which own his rights. Green Bay is the best example IMO: Jolly would have had a much, much better chance at getting sober if he would have gone to Green Bay permanently as soon after his arrest as possible. A relatively small community in which nearly everyone knows who he is would be ideal for an addict trying to get and stay clean. He turned 29-years old in February and hasn't played a snap for a couple of years. If the NFL deems fit to give him another chance, time is of the essence or he won't have a legit chance to play NFL football again.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Meh. Jail has changed guys before, He's got the shot if he wants it IMO. Real talent to put the rookies in place, even if we just use him as camp fodder. I'd like to think that as one of our players we'd just hold his rights until he gets his life right for his own good, but if he can't make his case to return to us it probably won't happen

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. Jail has changed guys before, He's got the shot if he wants it IMO. Real talent to put the rookies in place, even if we just use him as camp fodder. I'd like to think that as one of our players we'd just hold his rights until he gets his life right for his own good, but if he can't make his case to return to us it probably won't happen
Still never have been told what "meh" means. It's not in any Webster that we own.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
What is MEH?
MEH is "Indifference, equivalent to shoulder shrug"

I googled just to be sure for the ones that want proof!:sneaky:
I have 20 something sons, and nephews and neices...they all use that at certain times.