• Ahmad Carroll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joey Thomas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

joeythomasfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the word on Joey? How's he coming along....I went to college with him at Montana State and it's been exciting watching an MSU alum have some success at the next level...I'm a Seahawk fan myself...but I am interested to here how Joey is doing?

Thanks,

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very little heard around these parts about Joey. He could become a big factor if Al Harris gets sent away for the stripper sex thing in Florida. He was Al's main backup last year.
The story after last season was he has tons of ability, but didn't get the complexity of the defense. The defense is simpler this year under Bates and it could help him.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not voting, I think both will become solid contributors, as early as this year. I'm Ahmad Caroll's biggest supporter it seems, an incredible athlete, but thrown in the fire way too early for a cornerback, and he had trouble between the stupid illegal contact rules, and just adjusting to the nfl in general. He'll work his problems out, even champ bailey struggled with the new rules this year, give Caroll some time

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates is not happy with Carroll but is with Thomas. Carroll chose to stay away from GB this offseason whill Thomas was there working with the coaches through the whole thing. I'm not giving up on Carroll, but he doesn't really seem to be too coachable while Thomas, from what I've read, appears to be adapting to Bates' D pretty well and is definitely in contention for a starting job. I still think they both will be fighting for #2 in two or three years when Mike Hawkins takes over.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowing that Joey stayed in Green Bay during the off-season ala Majik Man.. speaks volumes about heart AND intention.... Carroll wants to play it like TO, etc.. then his EGO will end up costing him his Job... his hands have already just about done that anyway.....

And, ony if he's a Miami U alumnus will he get the boot camp training option that several are opting for... Only Grads are allowed as far as I know on that scenario....

I look for great things from Joey Thomas.... fer sure!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted for Carroll and was judging it based on when we had seen them last, which was last season. However, I feel Thomas has the most upside because of his size and the other measurables being not that far apart. In addition, I worry about Carroll's attitude. He keeps getting called for holding, the coaches are on him about it, and then late last year he makes a statement to the effect " I'm not going to change the way I play..." Well I have news for Ahmad, they are not going to change the way they call it. In fact, it will get worse before it gets better because he is "making a name for himself as a CB that holds".

If they both work at it and get their heads screwed on right, I believe they both could be Pro Bowl type CBs. But I question whether they are up to the challenge.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think given a bit if time we will be pleased with Carroll

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who to vote for, but I sure do hope at least one of them can step. We need to see more production out of several of the 2nd year guys in order for our defense to improve.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interesting article about both players in the link below. I don't know how it will shake out, but I am impressed with the dedication Thomas has shown like IPBprez mentioned the way he has stayed a lot in the off season to try and improve himself as a player.

I can't remember who said it, but a poster somewhere said the other week how bad Thomas felt when Favre gave him kind of an evil eye one game when the defense gave away another TD. The poster said Thomas felt bad for letting Favre and the team down and not wanting to do that again. I give Thomas props for trying to improve himself. I hope it pays off.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 2106.shtml

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nice article.

Besides competing for the starting job, Carroll and Thomas also had a highly publicized fight last year after a position-group meeting. In that incident, Carroll took exception to some ribbing and punched Thomas as the two left the meeting room.

either my memory is fading fast, or i completely missed this last year...when did that go down?

OP
OP
J

joeythomasfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joey Thomas and Dedication

I went to school with Thomas at Montana State where he ended up after a short stint at the Univ. of Washington...they wanted to have him switch positions there so he refused, knowing that he had NFL corner size and attributes and went where he could continue to play corner...I guess it paid off.

All I know is that Joey was a mild mannered guy in Bozeman, MT...not flashy...not a hey, look at me type of guy at all...and granted in Bozeman, MT a guy like Joey Thomas could be king...He did his thing, kept out of trouble and my guess is he will emerge ahead of Ahmad Carroll, who has shown all the tendencies towards being a pre-madonna.

Good luck down ther in Green Bay...Hopefully Seattle will crush you in the season finale...but if anyone could keep this Joey Thomas update going that would be great...I will continue to check in to see what you all have to say...I respect fans like you all...I wish we had more like that behind the Hawks!

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it may be a good thing that we do not hear much about joey, that means he isnt getting into any unnecessary troube and that he cant be doing badly, because we would of all heard of that. i believe he has a ton of upside and what if both carrol and thomas step up, we could have two great secondary players who are young. we should wait and see whats happens with training camp. its obvious he wants to play be being at all the voluntary activites, unlike some other people who are trying to show up the team

IU_packfan

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it when there is real competition for a starting position. It can only make both players better.

Members online

Latest posts