Joe Barry is our new DC

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chandon Sullivan has done fine as the Nickel. When Raven Greene comes back, we will have another option in Nickel/Dime packages

Chandon Sullivan is a free agent. Sure, I expect the Packers to re-sign him but a secondary with a top-3 cornerback group of Alexander, Sullivan, and Greene isn't putting up any resistance against a top-shelf offense.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chandon Sullivan is a free agent. Sure, I expect the Packers to re-sign him but a secondary with a top-3 cornerback group of Alexander, Sullivan, and Greene isn't putting up any resistance against a top-shelf offense.

I was assuming we would fill the CB2 spot....

Whether draft a stud or a good value FA

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As nice as that sounds, I don't think the Packers will be able to afford a Free Agent CB that would be considered good enough to be a starter. I think they are going to have a hard enough time retaining enough of their own players and figure out a way to still meet the cap limit, that shopping for high end free agents like a starting CB won't be plausible, at least in the initial stages of Free Agency.

Now what could and I think most likely happens this year in Free Agency is a Ted Thompson Wet Dream. Due to a lower than predicted cap, the initial free agency period is going to be a buyers market, with few buyers having the pick of the liter on top free agents, but still probably having to pay "going rates." After the dust settles, there should still be a huge supply of players that went unsigned. This is when the TT's of the NFL salivate and swoop in for some bargain deals.

So sure, they might find some bargain 1 year deals on CB's, DL, WR's etc. but they still are going to have to scrimp and save to do it and definitely will have to cut some of their own fat in the process.

I completely agree. I also think that there will be corners the Packers can sign and expect them to be starting level corners; e.g., Desmond King, Mike Hilton, Troy Hill, or Brian Poole could all probably be had for less than $8m per season. Some of those I listed are probably slot corners but that position is important enough in the league today that I would be perfectly willing to spend that much on a slot corner if the team drafted a cornerback high in the draft.

And yes, they will have to cut some players but that was the point of my defending the cutting of Preston Smith, signing a decent second corner is more valuable than having 3 starters at OLB.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree. I also think that there will be corners the Packers can sign and expect them to be starting level corners; e.g., Desmond King, Mike Hilton, Troy Hill, or Brian Poole could all probably be had for less than $8m per season. Some of those I listed are probably slot corners but that position is important enough in the league today that I would be perfectly willing to spend that much on a slot corner if the team drafted a cornerback high in the draft.

And yes, they will have to cut some players but that was the point of my defending the cutting of Preston Smith, signing a decent second corner is more valuable than having 3 starters at OLB.

Troy Hill has a strong chance signing considering he was with the Rams

I would be totally fine with him

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well, he had three years without competent inside linebacking play. Our GM's haven't been able to find a halfway decent ILB for sometime now. It spoke volumes when a UDFA was our starter last year.

While I agree with you, that it would be awesome to have a stud ILB, it comes back to the fact that you can have only so much paid talent on a team. It isn't like the Packers have not spent a ton of resources on the Defense (Clark, Smiths X 2, Amos, 3 1st rounds (Alexander, Gary, Savage), 2nd Round (King). Basically, 8 of the 11/12 starters are premium resourced players. Those are just the players that panned out, I won't list the busts.

I wanted Patrick Queen as much as most did, but we didn't get him. Pettine I still believe did less with quite a lot of talent, than he could have. I'm ready to see how Barry does.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that he didn't interview a coach on one of the SB teams.

The article in the paper this morning was not very uplifting about Barry. I just don't get it.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frown what I get, he runs a cautious D similar to Pettine and is also tactically less adaptable to in game situations.... just like Pettine.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green can't stay healthy. He is good if and when he does play. They can do better than Redmond as a backup though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You were way ahead of them.

In all fairness, I liked the hiring of Pettine. I thought that we were getting a guy that had a very good defensive mind and the bigger bonus, he had head coaching experience. He spent his first year coaching from the booth, which I didn't like. However, it didn't seem to change much when he started coaching from the sidelines in 2019. Bottom line, I don't think he was that big of an improvement over Capers and while Matt is taking the fall for the terrible defensive play call at the end of the first half against the Bucs, I put that on Pettine.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You agreed with it by saying “why not”. Go back and read it.
I was responding to your “that’s generous of you” comment which was referring to my “I’ll give him one season” remark. I should have been more clear, I know.

But still....I never said Barry should be fired after the defense gives up a first down or two.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My choice would have been little jim leonhard I guess he must of turned them down...

Last edited:

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all fairness, I liked the hiring of Pettine. I thought that we were getting a guy that had a very good defensive mind and the bigger bonus, he had head coaching experience. He spent his first year coaching from the booth, which I didn't like. However, it didn't seem to change much when he started coaching from the sidelines in 2019. Bottom line, I don't think he was that big of an improvement over Capers and while Matt is taking the fall for the terrible defensive play call at the end of the first half against the Bucs, I put that on Pettine.
I definitely don't like coaching from the booth. I know other coaches do that, I just don't like coaches not being around their players, personal preference. No guarantees that he'll be on the sidelines, but after his "bend don't break" defense let Tampa score in the final seconds of the first half, Capers had to go. My god, that alone was unforgivable in my book.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, I think some of you need to see the "big picture" with Barry... is/was his track record good? not really...but it's not like he's been absoutely terrible (except in DET but can't blame him lol)

This is obviously a hiring for the scheme fit, I am 99.9% sure they want that new scheme installed; which would also help most of our current pieces.

If you think about it, it's kind of like when we hired Capers. Dom Capers, didn't really have a strong track record, although he was HC before, but we hired him to install the Attacking 3-4 scheme at the time. Which worked out quite well for us during the earlier parts of his career, probably first 4-5 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts