1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Schwartz and Les Frazier Fired

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HardRightEdge, Dec 30, 2013.

1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,678
    Darn it.

I think of all the personalities in the game to dislike (and there's always a plentiful supply), I think I have Schwartz on the top of my list. He may have been the top enabler of bad behavior in the league. Further, I hate seeing talent wasted through undisciplined play, and Detroit serves as a poster child in that department.

I'll miss him.

2. Packers_16-0

Packers_16-0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Wouldn't this be cool if Leslie Frazier becomes the new head coach for the Lions and Jim Schwartz becomes the head coach of the Vikings

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    No

I dont want Schwartz anywhere near the NFL again

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bignutz

Bignutz I'm a victim of coicumstances!

Ratings:
    +50
    May da Schwarts be wit ya!
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,267
    I can kind of understand Frazier getting the bullet, but Schwartz built a strong team, even if we dont like them personally,(although I will admit to a soft spot for the Lions myself). Wasn`t him team hit with important players being injured ?, not unlike our own coach.

6. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Hey, let's hire one of those guys to replace Dom Capers!

Surprised no one else mentioned it yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +371
    The rumor among Lions fans here in the U.P. of Michigan is that the Lions want Tony Dungee as their next head coach.
    I don't know if that's wishful thinking or what, but he is from Michigan (Jackson) and he would bring credibility to a team woefully short of it.

8. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    Crap. This means both teams might actually stumble across a real coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +643
    yea, this news sucks. the lions deserve the trash they have.

10. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,314
    Martin Mayhew is the GM of the Lions, he’s the one who hired Schwartz and has acquired talent the last five years. I’m particularly sorry to see Schwartz go because IMO he has excelled at wasting a very talented roster in Detroit. It was obvious his teams lacked discipline but he was either unwilling or unable to instill it. If they stumble upon a good HC, they'll be a problem for the Packers for seasons to come.

The other teams in the division really missed out on a great opportunity by failing to take advantage of Rodgers’ injury, particularly the Lions: They completely imploded by losing 6 of their last 7 games. I did get a kick out of Schwartz, in answer to a question, saying he didn’t consider this season a failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,678
    Frazier's a 4-3 guy. MM and TT would need to first believe that a change to 4-3 is needed, then find a guy who fits. I seriously doubt that will happen. I also doubt they'll dump Capers, as much as I'd like to see it. If by chance they do, they'll be looking for a guy with 3-4 credentials.

Schwartz? When hell freezes over, regardless of scheme. Instances of on-field thuggery and off-field nonsense are often cited as evidence of the utter lack of discipline imposed in Detroit. I'll make it a trifecta...their style of play is undisciplined, starting at the QB position.

12. Forderick

Forderick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +82
    The lions collapsed. That is why he got fired. Once Rodgers and to an extent Cutler went down with injuries the division was the lions to lose, and lose they did. The lions have the talent to be really good, but Schwartz couldn't get them to play disciplined and fundamental football. He was given a fair chance in detroit and didn't get it done.

Depending on who the Lions hire as their next coach, and if the players buy into the new coaches philosophy, they could be a force next year.

13. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I should have put: ;) :p :D :laugh: or :roflmao: in my post.
    Kidding! I was just kidding.

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,678
    Yeah, you should have. :confused:

15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,678
    As a side note, the Matthews contract is indicative of an irrevocable commitment to the 3-4. I think it would take a head coaching change to move the football operation in that direction, and that's not going to happen in any foreseeable future, nor should it.

16. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +253
    Judging from the preliminary reports and speculations of who they're considering as candidates those organizations appear to be ready to repeat what they've done in the past about their head coaches. Darrell Bevel, really?

The good candidates available at this time will go to Washington and Houston before Minnesota or Detroit.

As long as the Packers can keep their team healthy there's not a lot to fear about a shift in the power balance in the NFC North in the foreseeable future.

17. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    It's always interesting when this happens, especially in our division.

The Lions for all their issues are a very talented team, if they make the right hire, they could turn things around in a big way, which is slightly worrisome.

18. robertk328

robertk328 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    my thoughts as well! :)

19. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,487
    The Frazier firing was unfortunate because he is one hell of a guy. I'm not sure that many coaches can win with their shoddy QB situation. The Vikings will struggle to get a good coach as the QB situation doesn't look likely to improve with only the 8th pick in the draft and several QB-needy teams ahead of them. They may have to reach at #8 and put another new coach in an awkward QB situation again. They should have just kept Frazier.

Schwartz, as said, is an idiot and somebody should be able to thrive with that roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    I actually didnt think Frazier was that bad. Felt like he did a decent job with what he had to work with as far as talent. a RB alone can't lead you to great success.

21. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,487
    I think that Spielman rightly felt like he's infused the team with more talent the past two years through the draft and FA, but that it didn't result in a better record. However, there were still many holes on the team and the fact is that this is a 3-4 win team that only made the playoffs because AP went out and had the second best season ever for a RB. Take that away and you got a team that needs a better OL, bettter receivers, a legitimate QB, youth on the DL, better LBs besides Greenway, and much better CBs. The Vikings have a good safety, good TEs, a phenominal RB, and great kickers. That doesn't get you much in the NFL these days.

It wasn't your fault Leslie

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Wonder if he got canned for how he treated their punter (we have a thread about it)

23. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Some injuries but not like the Pack

Schwartz is a bad coach...He coached them to stomp on a player when player is down..Coached them to be aggressive..

They faltered the last 5 or so games EVERY year because the team was coached bad..

They have so much talent but nothing to show for it..

24. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,678
    You're supposed to use a ;) or the like to indicate you're joking.

25. robertk328

robertk328 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Doubt it. That team was struggling ... Hard to know if they would amount to anything, though if we look back with the right QB just about anything is possible.