Jerry Porter

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
365
Reaction score
0
Zero2Cool said:
TomAllen said:
Zero, you can't see a pattern in the man by now? TT is in it for the long haul, he is not trying to win it now. That much is obvious.

And Tromadz, how is it "playing the sky is falling" to want TT to sign some talent on the team that doesn't take 4-5 years to develop?

Man, you seem to be extremely thin skinned if anyone has an opinion or mentions TT, the GM of the GB Packers, aren't you?

Is this your quick response to fill the void while you dredge up a valid reply to my question?

I've seen a pattern, somewhat and it was similar to Wolfs. Trading a 1rd for a QB that was basically a cast off who wanted to party more than play football was hardly going for the win in short term.

I could go on, but lecture is going to resume in a few minutes. I think I've proved my point though.

Point..what point?

That Wolf recognized the talent in Favre that others missed because he was scouting him since his college days? That's pretty agressive, wouldn't you say?

Also, wouldn't you say that Wolf signed more veteran FA's then TT has as well? It's been a pretty well established fact that TT is a "draft guy" and not much on the FA market. Think about all the vets that the Packers had when Wolf was around. Something tells me TT won't follow that pattern.

I could go on, but I think I proved my point. Wouldn't you agree?
 

porky88

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
3,991
Reaction score
0
Location
Title Town
Zero2Cool said:
TomAllen said:
Zero, you can't see a pattern in the man by now? TT is in it for the long haul, he is not trying to win it now. That much is obvious.

And Tromadz, how is it "playing the sky is falling" to want TT to sign some talent on the team that doesn't take 4-5 years to develop?

Man, you seem to be extremely thin skinned if anyone has an opinion or mentions TT, the GM of the GB Packers, aren't you?

Is this your quick response to fill the void while you dredge up a valid reply to my question?

I've seen a pattern, somewhat and it was similar to Wolfs. Trading a 1rd for a QB that was basically a cast off who wanted to party more than play football was hardly going for the win in short term.

I could go on, but lecture is going to resume in a few minutes. I think I've proved my point though.

It would make logical sense that Thompson runs the team similar to Wolf. Wolf did train TT to be his replacement from what I've read. In the end it comes down to which players pan out and who is the better scout. Way to early to play a judge on TT like you said. 2 years from now ehhh things could be interesting.
 

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Joined
Dec 12, 2004
Messages
11,903
Reaction score
4
Location
Green Bay, WI
TomAllen said:
Zero2Cool said:
TomAllen said:
Zero, you can't see a pattern in the man by now? TT is in it for the long haul, he is not trying to win it now. That much is obvious.

And Tromadz, how is it "playing the sky is falling" to want TT to sign some talent on the team that doesn't take 4-5 years to develop?

Man, you seem to be extremely thin skinned if anyone has an opinion or mentions TT, the GM of the GB Packers, aren't you?

Is this your quick response to fill the void while you dredge up a valid reply to my question?

I've seen a pattern, somewhat and it was similar to Wolfs. Trading a 1rd for a QB that was basically a cast off who wanted to party more than play football was hardly going for the win in short term.

I could go on, but lecture is going to resume in a few minutes. I think I've proved my point though.

Point..what point?

That Wolf recognized the talent in Favre that others missed because he was scouting him since his college days? That's pretty agressive, wouldn't you say?

Also, wouldn't you say that Wolf signed more veteran FA's then TT has as well? It's been a pretty well established fact that TT is a "draft guy" and not much on the FA market. Think about all the vets that the Packers had when Wolf was around. Something tells me TT won't follow that pattern.

I could go on, but I think I proved my point. Wouldn't you agree?

Yes, the point in which you are making an un educated statement is very apparent. Sorry for getting you riled up sir. I apologize.
 

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Location
SE Wisconsin
digsthepack said:
The rumors have picked up and it appears obvious that Joey (Jerry, actually) Porter is being shopped by the Raidahs. They need DL and secondary help and we have lots of depth at both spots.

Along the D-line, some talented players are not going to be with us. A guy like Colin Cole might become expendable with the performance that Kendrick Allen is laying down for the staff. Or a Corey Williams. Kenny Peterson is already on the bubble.

In the secondary, players like Roman, Underwood, anf Horton...or Atari Bigby might be tempting.

What say you? Should we move to bring a guy like Porter in to complement Driver and take the underachieving Rod Gardner, or the enigmatic Fergy out of the equation?

yes, trade al harris for jerry porter
 

tromadz

Cheesehead
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
999
Reaction score
3
Location
Chicago
you dont wanna throw them out in the fire like that....thats WHAT WE DID WITH CARROLL ADLIJADFBFBAF!! LEARN FROM OUR MISTDARKKRES!!!!!!!! RAORAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

porky88

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
3,991
Reaction score
0
Location
Title Town
dhpackr said:
digsthepack said:
The rumors have picked up and it appears obvious that Joey (Jerry, actually) Porter is being shopped by the Raidahs. They need DL and secondary help and we have lots of depth at both spots.

Along the D-line, some talented players are not going to be with us. A guy like Colin Cole might become expendable with the performance that Kendrick Allen is laying down for the staff. Or a Corey Williams. Kenny Peterson is already on the bubble.

In the secondary, players like Roman, Underwood, anf Horton...or Atari Bigby might be tempting.

What say you? Should we move to bring a guy like Porter in to complement Driver and take the underachieving Rod Gardner, or the enigmatic Fergy out of the equation?

yes, trade al harris for jerry porter

That would be a horrible deal for the Packers. Porter hasn't even proven he can be a solid starting WR in this league. He's an underachiever. Harris has proven that he can be a #1 CB. Corners are harder to come buy than receivers. With Charles Woodson being injury proned and Green Bay having nothing but yound depth that is too raw to start, GB needs Al Harris much more than Jerry Porter. Porter would be an upgrade over Ferguson, Gardner,Jennings, and Boerighter but not that big of an upgrade over them. The downgrade from Al Harris to Ahmad Carroll is greater than the upgrade of Robert Ferguson to Jerry Porter. It'd be a bad move on the Packers to do that. Good thing they probably won't. I'd like to see Robert Ferguson and Mark Roman go for Porter. That'd be nice.
 

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
0
Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions president Matt Millen insists the team could cut WR Mike Williams, regardless of his draft status, financial commitment or salary cap implications. Millen said, "I think we would be willing to cut anybody. I think we just have to be. There's realities of where we're at, but ... everybody has a chance to define what they are. Here we go." However, Millen softened his stance on Williams a little. Millen said, 'Mike's got a ton of talent, and we're a thousand percent behind him. Mike's a young player who's trying to figure it out. It's not uncommon. It really isn't. We have high expectations for him because his talent's so high. There's a couple of bumps, but we have a tendency to try to make it sound sometimes worse than it is at times because there's an urgency. I want it to happen right now. But you take a step back. OK, you give him a little bit of understanding, but not too much."

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions president Matt Millen insists the team could cut WR Charles Rogers, regardless of his draft status, financial commitment or salary cap implications. Millen said, "I think we would be willing to cut anybody. I think we just have to be. There's realities of where we're at, but ... everybody has a chance to define what they are. Here we go." However, Millen praised Rogers' offseason work earlier and said he "made great strides." Millen added, "He was catching everything with his hands. He was running excellent routes. He was going full speed all the time."

what about picking up one of these players if they get cut instead of trading for porter?
 

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Location
SE Wisconsin
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
digsthepack said:
The rumors have picked up and it appears obvious that Joey (Jerry, actually) Porter is being shopped by the Raidahs. They need DL and secondary help and we have lots of depth at both spots.

Along the D-line, some talented players are not going to be with us. A guy like Colin Cole might become expendable with the performance that Kendrick Allen is laying down for the staff. Or a Corey Williams. Kenny Peterson is already on the bubble.

In the secondary, players like Roman, Underwood, anf Horton...or Atari Bigby might be tempting.

What say you? Should we move to bring a guy like Porter in to complement Driver and take the underachieving Rod Gardner, or the enigmatic Fergy out of the equation?

yes, trade al harris for jerry porter

That would be a horrible deal for the Packers. Porter hasn't even proven he can be a solid starting WR in this league. He's an underachiever. Harris has proven that he can be a #1 CB. Corners are harder to come buy than receivers. With Charles Woodson being injury proned and Green Bay having nothing but yound depth that is too raw to start, GB needs Al Harris much more than Jerry Porter. Porter would be an upgrade over Ferguson, Gardner,Jennings, and Boerighter but not that big of an upgrade over them. The downgrade from Al Harris to Ahmad Carroll is greater than the upgrade of Robert Ferguson to Jerry Porter. It'd be a bad move on the Packers to do that. Good thing they probably won't. I'd like to see Robert Ferguson and Mark Roman go for Porter. That'd be nice.

i think the raiders want a solid player for jerry porter. so guys like fergie, roman, peterson would never be cosidered. in most of the posts i've read in this thread, ppl are offering up players that the packers may cut. I like the prospect of porter and driver as brett's 1 & 2 WRer(driver as #1).

there have been some CB to start their first seson in the NFL. its not totally out of the question. we have hawk, barnett, hodge, popinga, taylor, playing LB(all have good speed)woodson, carroll, blakmon, dendy,hawkins(at CB). and collins manuel at S, so if anything, GB has some depth on Defence.

RU sure harris wants to be in GB?

Harrris thinks his contract will be renogiated, i'd beg to differ, and I bet TT does as well.
 
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
7,033
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
RU sure harris wants to be in GB?

Harrris thinks his contract will be renogiated, i'd beg to differ, and I bet TT does as well.

From what I have read, Harris DOES want to stay in GB, and I think come showdown time, TT will keep him. Harris wants more money now, a la Richard Seymour last year. Ted may be obliged into doing something very low key, or making a minor tweak to Harris's contract, because Ted learned from his mistake with Walker. TT isn't about to let this guy go, not when the coaches (yes, more than one) want him to stay.

Harris isn't about to turn his back on GB, he has a solid relationship with Washington, and he isn't going to forget that he became a top CB in GB. I'd have to say I might not like TT caving into Harris, but I can live with him making a minor tweak to his contract, pro-rate a portion of his bonus so Harris gets more money this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Andrew is being held up with Harris's agent, on the other line. His agent did a very smart thing, he immediately got the "real" story out on Harris not being serious about holding out, and I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes. (Anyone with more sources wanna confirm, that would be great.)

Zero, you make a valid point. It's just that when it came down to it, I couldn't get in touch with your pizza guy (are you sure you gave me the right #?), so I had to settle for pft.com.
 

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Joined
Jul 18, 2005
Messages
1,868
Reaction score
2
Location
Portland, OR Local Packer Fans P.M me.
porky88 said:
Porter hasn't even proven he can be a solid starting WR in this league. He's an underachiever.

Porky.. I enjoy your posts, but I think the satement setforth above is a really silly statement.

Cut Jerry a little slack please.

Jerry Porter had 76 catches last year. 942 yards. and 5 TD's. (Over 60% of his catches were for first downs, 45 First downs and he is money over the middle or on the fly.)

Now look at Driver, who I love as well.... Driver had 10 more catches than JP, the same amount of T.D.s (5)

Driver had Brett throwing him the ball and Chatman and Fergy as the other options. Jerry Porter had Collins throwing him the ball and Moss as the the other option.

Are you getting my drift here?

What did Fergy have last year? How many catches? 27? Chatman 48?

To say that Jerry Porter has not proven himself as a starting WR in the NFL. is like saying people in Idaho hate the Potato.

I am a Packer Fan... But I will tell you this in all honesty. I travel a great deal... And I would say that most (Not all) but most Packer fans are the least informed about what is out there beyond there own team than any other NFL Fan base.

This is a fact.

Most Packer fans have tunnel vision, and could not name the starting WR for any team outside the NFC North and what they did last year or the year before.

This is not a bad thing... It is just an observation I have made in my travels through every N.F.L. city.

R.P.
 

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon
Raider Pride said:
porky88 said:
Porter hasn't even proven he can be a solid starting WR in this league. He's an underachiever.

Porky.. I enjoy your posts, but I think the satement setforth above is a really silly statement.

Cut Jerry a little slack please.

Jerry Porter had 76 catches last year. 942 yards. and 5 TD's. (Over 60% of his catches were for first downs, 45 First downs and he is money over the middle or on the fly.)

Now look at Driver, who I love as well.... Driver had 10 more catches than JP, the same amount of T.D.s (5)

Driver had Brett throwing him the ball and Chatman and Fergy as the other options. Jerry Porter had Collins throwing him the ball and Moss as the the other option.

Are you getting my drift here?

What did Fergy have last year? How many catches? 27? Chatman 48?

To say that Jerry Porter has not proven himself as a starting WR in the NFL. is like saying people in Idaho hate the Potato.

I am a Packer Fan... But I will tell you this in all honesty. I travel a great deal... And I would say that most (Not all) but most Packer fans are the least informed about what is out there beyond there own team than any other NFL Fan base.

This is a fact.

Most Packer fans have tunnel vision, and could not name the starting WR for any team outside the NFC North and what they did last year or the year before.

This is not a bad thing... It is just an observation I have made in my travels through every N.F.L. city.

R.P.

Where did you come from? I must've not been paying attention before but you are a very logical poster and an asset to this board, no bull$hit. you've got to remember it happens in all fanbases though, total homerism takes it's toll on the best of boards not everyone here falls into the same genre.(Oh my God, I think I just stuck up for Cheesey , Arrowgantuann(sp), Tromadz(Yes we have our beef but you make it so fun and I respect you, especially if you become a MOD :wink: ) and a few other logical posters on here as well. A lot of Fudgie fans here are well informed on what else is going on in the NFL and in our division for that matter. Being a Bears fan, I may not respect the Packers as a team but I respect other peoples rights to root for another team without discriminating(too much :wink: ).To each his own, but if your going to post and disrespect certain teams(rivals) use some facts once in a while. Blind homerism tends to lead to disappointment(I know I'm a Bears fan).

P.S. Cheesy, Arrow, Tromz, we still hate eachother....right?
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
R.P. I love man but "This is a fact" ? C'mon. How about "Based on my well-educated opinion....most Packer fans are the least informed..........."


That's like saying "most Raider fans have been involved in incestious affairs over the past ten years". This is a fact.....because I travel alot!
 

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
491
Reaction score
0
Location
Wisconsin
The only Packer fan I can think of that is really blind to other teams in the NFL would be my mom. But then again, she's the woman who asks me at halftime, "Who are we playing again?"

Then she usually goes into a rant about how ugly the opponent's jerseys are. You should have heard her go off on the Bills and Vikings one time.
 

cheesey

Cheesehead
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
1,000
Reaction score
3
Location
Wisconsin
[quote="PackerSacker54(Oh my God, I think I just stuck up for Cheesey , Arrowgantuann(sp), Tromadz

P.S. Cheesy, Arrow, Tromz, we still hate eachother....right?[/quote]

Awwww Sacker! You made me BLUSH!!! Of COURSE i still hate you! How can you even ASK that???LOLOLOLOL!!!! :lol:
(I darn near fell off my chair laughing when i read that! Good job Sacker!!!LOLOLOL!!!) :lol:
 

porky88

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
3,991
Reaction score
0
Location
Title Town
Raider Pride said:
porky88 said:
Porter hasn't even proven he can be a solid starting WR in this league. He's an underachiever.

Porky.. I enjoy your posts, but I think the satement setforth above is a really silly statement.

Cut Jerry a little slack please.

Jerry Porter had 76 catches last year. 942 yards. and 5 TD's. (Over 60% of his catches were for first downs, 45 First downs and he is money over the middle or on the fly.)

Now look at Driver, who I love as well.... Driver had 10 more catches than JP, the same amount of T.D.s (5)

Driver had Brett throwing him the ball and Chatman and Fergy as the other options. Jerry Porter had Collins throwing him the ball and Moss as the the other option.

Are you getting my drift here?

What did Fergy have last year? How many catches? 27? Chatman 48?

To say that Jerry Porter has not proven himself as a starting WR in the NFL. is like saying people in Idaho hate the Potato.

I am a Packer Fan... But I will tell you this in all honesty. I travel a great deal... And I would say that most (Not all) but most Packer fans are the least informed about what is out there beyond there own team than any other NFL Fan base.

This is a fact.

Most Packer fans have tunnel vision, and could not name the starting WR for any team outside the NFC North and what they did last year or the year before.

This is not a bad thing... It is just an observation I have made in my travels through every N.F.L. city.

R.P.

Like I said Porter is an upgrade over Ferguson but if I had a choice of Jerry Porter as my #2 WR ahead of Robert Ferguson or Al Harris my #1 CB ahead of Ahmad Carroll, I'll take Harris any day.

I don't really consider 900 yards and 5 TD's a solid for #2 WR or even that good. I think it's average especially with someone as talented as Porter. Now a days I think consistency is needed opposite of your starter. In Oakland they tried to go down the field and Porter is built for that and he didn't really "explode" like some thought he could. 2004 was really his only good year that is worth recognizing when he caught around 10 TD's (9 I believe). Outside of that this guy still has a lot more to prove in the NFL as a consistent legit NFL starter in my opinion.

Actually for a side note, Rod Gardner has more 1,000 yard seasons than Jerry Porter which would be 1
 

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
0
PackersNews.com reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson wouldn't say whether he has had talks with the Oakland Raiders about a trade for WR Jerry Porter, who wants out of Oakland.
 
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
7,033
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
PackerLegend said:
PackersNews.com reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson wouldn't say whether he has had talks with the Oakland Raiders about a trade for WR Jerry Porter, who wants out of Oakland.

It won't happen.

Porter needs time to learn the new system, and while it would be good in the long run, TT isn't going to trade away what the Raiders would likely demand, a young prospect that has a bright future and a high draft pick. Ferrgy/Gardner + draft pick just won't cut it.
 

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
810
Reaction score
0
Location
Bismarck North Dakota
all about da packers said:
PackerLegend said:
PackersNews.com reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson wouldn't say whether he has had talks with the Oakland Raiders about a trade for WR Jerry Porter, who wants out of Oakland.

It won't happen.

Porter needs time to learn the new system, and while it would be good in the long run, TT isn't going to trade away what the Raiders would likely demand, a young prospect that has a bright future and a high draft pick. Ferrgy/Gardner + draft pick just won't cut it.
How about KGB straight up! His one trick pony pass rush and very weak run support has left me uninspired.
 

tromadz

Cheesehead
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
999
Reaction score
3
Location
Chicago
DakotaT said:
all about da packers said:
PackerLegend said:
PackersNews.com reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson wouldn't say whether he has had talks with the Oakland Raiders about a trade for WR Jerry Porter, who wants out of Oakland.

It won't happen.

Porter needs time to learn the new system, and while it would be good in the long run, TT isn't going to trade away what the Raiders would likely demand, a young prospect that has a bright future and a high draft pick. Ferrgy/Gardner + draft pick just won't cut it.
How about KGB straight up! His one trick pony pass rush and very weak run support has left me uninspired.

i like!
 

Members online

Top