Jayrone Elliott

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if the light ever truly comes on and stays on for this guy, that he could be an all pro type player in our system. Maybe last night against Seattle is the beginning.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, I want to give a shout out to BJ Raji and our defense. I wish we played Seattle every week because our D gets up for them.

Aaron Rodgers played like the HOFer he is in that game too. And Starks had a good game. Hell, it was a good game all around for us.

GO PACK GO

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if the light ever truly comes on and stays on for this guy, that he could be an all pro type player in our system. Maybe last night against Seattle is the beginning.

Time will tell if he's a full-time player or not. There's no doubt that he made the most of his limited reps last night and made two huge plays.

Not bad for an undrafted free-agent out of Toledo.

Sky King

Reaction score
He has already begun to make his mark on STs and it may now be bleeding over onto the D. Good for him.

This is the type of player the Packers must acquire and develop in lieu of rarely drafting higher in the order. They acquire young guys with raw talent and some flaws that the braintrust hopes will some day blossom into solid, reliable contributors and maybe even a little more.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Matthews playing inside full-time now it's important to get production from other outside linebackers. Elliott's snap count will increase if he continues to make great plays like yesterday.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we played Seattle every week because our D gets up for them.
Seems odd to me that they aren't "up" every week. If the season were 162 games I could see being flat occasionally, but not in a 16 game season. That's on the coaches, imo. As Fox says about his Bears team: "We'll find guys who want to do it."

H

HardRightEdge

With Matthews playing inside full-time now it's important to get production from other outside linebackers. Elliott's snap count will increase if he continues to make great plays like yesterday.
I think he's a liability in run defense compared to Neal and Perry. Passing downs? Sure, why not.

H

HardRightEdge

I haven't seen him defending the run a whole lot so far so it's tough to make an educated guess about his ability.
I've seen defend some runs in preseason, and there's a reason why you have not seen him doing it very much. Even his pass rush technique is one-note and unpolished, but he plays with a lot of energy and runs to the ball, something that is often lacking in this defense, even if that was not the case last night.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've seen defend some runs in preseason, and there's a reason why you have not seen him doing it very much. Even his pass rush technique is one-note and unpolished, but he plays with a lot of energy and runs to the ball, something that is often lacking in this defense, even if that was not the case last night.

PFF had Elliott ranked as the second best outside linebacker in run stop percentage during this year's preseason with seven stops on 41 run snaps.

H

HardRightEdge

PFF had Elliott ranked as the second best outside linebacker in run stop percentage during this year's preseason with seven stops on 41 run snaps.
I am unconvinced. The other 34 run snaps against those 2nd. and 3rd. stringers include snaps showing a guy too often out of position. I think he's a still a year away from being a reliable 3-down player, which he may need to be with Perry and Neal in their contract years.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Would it ever make sense to say 'thank goodness Lacy had to leave the game'? Not really but consider this from Jason Wilde:
Jayrone Elliott’s two game-changing fourth-quarter plays were the direct result of … Eddie Lacy’s ankle injury? ... when Lacy left on a cart during the first quarter, it was the first domino in a personnel chain-reaction. With Lacy out, James Starks took over as the Packers’ lead running back. With Starks in that role, he had to abdicate his special-teams responsibilities. That forced outside linebacker Andy Mulumba to fill Starks’ spots on special teams, but because Mulumba was part of the linebacker rotation on defense, someone had to pick up some of those snaps. That someone was – you guessed it – Elliott, who made a fantastic one-handed interception when he diagnosed a screen pass and then cemented the victory by forcing a fumble on Seattle’s final possession.

http://www.espnmadison.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=21851&is_corp=1

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought all the outside guys looked good, Neal, Perry, and Peppers looked good. If Perry and Neal can stay healthy all year it will be good.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's the reason Elliott was on the field late in the fourth quarter. If I recall it correctly he replaced Mulumba after the latter lost contain on Wilson several times.

Main point he was on the field and produced..I dont think to many people really care what the exact reason was..

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Main point he was on the field and produced..I dont think to many people really care what the exact reason was..
That's right. I too read what captainWIMM's post referred to, but Wilde's story was more fun! (Seriously I don't know which is true.)

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought all the outside guys looked good, Neal, Perry, and Peppers looked good. If Perry and Neal can stay healthy all year it will be good.

As I´ve said repeatedly Neal made some nice plays defending the run and Perry had a maybe TD saving tackle on Lynch but none of them offered anything rushing the passer. The Packers will need at least one of them to improve in that department though with Matthews playing exclusively inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts