Jason McCourty released by the Titans

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing if the Pats still have interest, it won't matter, unless of course his twin brother comes here first

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's thought he & his twin (a NE Pat) want to play together but he'd have to take less $$ to play for the Pats than he might get on the open market.
Why did he get released? The Titans are $37M under the cap.
Guessing that his groin injury in 2015 (and age) has slowed him down a bit and he's more a slot CB or Safety now. We don't need another slower #3 or #4 CB :(.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did he get released? The Titans are $37M under the cap.

He was in the last year of his contract slated to make 7 million with no dead money. they tried to work out some sort of deal, whether it was an extension or a restructure I don't know, but they couldn't agree.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCourty might be an upgrade over the cornerbacks currently on the roster but there's no reason to sign him close to $7 million a year. I expect him to end up with the Patriots.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
McCourty might be an upgrade over the cornerbacks currently on the roster but there's no reason to sign him close to $7 million a year. I expect him to end up with the Patriots.

I agree on the "no reason to sign him close to $7 million a year", but from what I have read about the guy, I would love to see the Packers land him in GB for House like money or a bit more. He is a team first guy, respected in the community, great tackler, solid cover guy. Unless he would have a major dropoff in his game, I would view him as a much needed upgrade over anyone currently on the roster or what we could expect this year from a rookie.

Good article (below) about McCourty and why the Packers should be taking a look at him. I would add to it, I think if McCourty is signed, it takes the pressure off of finding an immediate starter at CB in the draft. I'm not saying it completely fixes the position, but it buys the Packers some time to see how the young CB's respond and makes it less imperative to try to find THAT guy with 1 of our top 2 picks. I would much rather see the Packers go after an Edge rusher with their first round, someone who I think could have a bigger impact this year and beyond. Then find a guy at CB mid to late round that can hopefully develop. Someone like Sidney Jones, if available in the 3rd, could be THAT guy.

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/04/15/green-bay-packers-jason-mccourty-free-agency-radar/

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unfortunately I have almost come to expect that with just about everybody.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts