Jarrett Bush's Future

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush has done an admirable job of sticking with this team. He's kind of our Rudy. The guys in the locker room seem to love him. He obviously doesn't have the skills to be an elite anything, but he plays hard and has become one of our best on special teams. When called into action during the Super Bowl, I would argue that he was a semi-serious contender for MVP of the game - although he made some errors that negated his great plays.

He's got a 3 year contract that pays him $1.75M per season through the 2014 season. With the up-and-comers at CB do you see Bush making the roster next season, even if just as a veteran special teams ace? Does he play out his contract? Could he play well enough to get it extended?

Where do you see Jarrett Bush's future with GB?

H

HardRightEdge

He doesn't return kicks. He couldn't snag a safety spot when the youngsters struggled. He's just plain bad at cornerback. His sole value is as a gunner.

MM loves the guy and the way he goes about his business. Nonetheless, when he loses a step or the contract is up he'll likely be gone, whichever comes first.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well at first glance ... that is one helluva lot of money for a gunner. I'll leave it at that because I'm not a JBush fan. Then again, I'm also not an NFL G.M. or Special Teams coach.

H

HardRightEdge

Well at first glance ... that is one helluva lot of money for a gunner. I'll leave it at that because I'm not a JBush fan. Then again, I'm also not an NFL G.M. or Special Teams coach.

I guess the fact he can play dime corner, cover corner in a pinch (an extreme pinch in my opinion) and serve as the #4 safety gives MM more flexibility and some kind of comfort factor when putting together the 45 man game day roster.

There are some intangibles we can't see...such as why he's a special teams captain.

Add it up and the pay still seems out of line.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose that it's a tough line to tow between paying a captain of your team the veteran minimum or giving him a slight bump in recognition of his status/contribution.

I'm kind of with HRE on this in that while he is a high-priced gunner, he also likely knows our defense as well as anybody and provides knowledgeable insurance in emergency situations. He might also be a player/coach/mentor in the secondary.

Personally I think that he'll play out his contract unless all of our young secondary guys pan out, in which case there just won't be any room next season for an aging special teams player.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Bush is purely a ST stud, but pretty putrid in coverage. That's a lot of money for a gunner. And I think TT realizes that because part of the speculation following the draft was that Micah Hyde was a good ST player and obviously plays the same position as Bush. If Hyde shows that he's capable at gunner and some promise as CB or S, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bush cut.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Bush has done an admirable job of sticking with this team. He's kind of our Rudy. The guys in the locker room seem to love him. He obviously doesn't have the skills to be an elite anything, but he plays hard and has become one of our best on special teams. When called into action during the Super Bowl, I would argue that he was a semi-serious contender for MVP of the game - although he made some errors that negated his great plays.

He's got a 3 year contract that pays him $1.75M per season through the 2014 season. With the up-and-comers at CB do you see Bush making the roster next season, even if just as a veteran special teams ace? Does he play out his contract? Could he play well enough to get it extended?

Where do you see Jarrett Bush's future with GB?

You know ? I REALLY need to get my eyes checked. When I first read this I SAW "When he was called into action in Superbowl I". I just thought ffs, "how old is this guy ????" :roflmao: