Jared Allen

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
True, but they have 29 free agents as well after next season.
So? Packer have 19. A good portion are players that probably won't be on the team when this season starts. Take the core FA of both team, those most likely to be on the team when this season starts and see what there. Let's re-visit this once the teams cut down to 53 and see how bad Chicago's cap space is going to be. You can sign a lot of player at less then $600,000 a year. Which is what the Packer have an abundance of right now.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So? Packer have 19. A good portion are players that probably won't be on the team when this season starts. Take the core FA of both team, those most likely to be on the team when this season starts and see what there. Let's re-visit this once the teams cut down to 53 and see how bad Chicago's cap space is going to be. You can sign a lot of player at less then $600,000 a year. Which is what the Packer have an abundance of right now.

The Bears might end up with cap issues or they might also be okay, but Emery has not shown much regard for this cap this offseason so if it keeps up, I could see cap trouble. After draft picks this year, they'll only be a couple million under and Marshall is one of their upcoming free agents.

Cutler, Peppers, and Allen have not been cap smart moves. They've gotten slightly better this offseason while using a lot of money and currently have about 12 million in dead money on the cap.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Bears might end up with cap issues or they might also be okay, but Emery has not shown much regard for this cap this offseason so if it keeps up, I could see cap trouble. After draft picks this year, they'll only be a couple million under and Marshall is one of their upcoming free agents.

Cutler, Peppers, and Allen have not been cap smart moves. They've gotten slightly better this offseason while using a lot of money and currently have about 12 million in dead money on the cap.

The Packers might end up with cap issues or they might also be okay, I could see cap trouble. After draft picks this year, they'll only be a about 8 million under and Nelson, Cobb, and Bulaga are three of their upcoming free agents for 2015.

If the Packers can do it within their cap space, I am sure the Bears can handle it with what they have.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers might end up with cap issues or they might also be okay, I could see cap trouble. After draft picks this year, they'll only be a about 8 million under and Nelson, Cobb, and Bulaga are three of their upcoming free agents for 2015.

If the Packers can do it within their cap space, I am sure the Bears can handle it with what they have.

My point is that the Bears with Peppers, Allen, and restructuring Cutler after only a few months show a lack of cap awareness that could lead to trouble.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can all but guarantee that the Packers will not have to cut one of their star players in order to stay within the cap. It's not how they do business. Restructuring is a different story and I could see some of that going forward. Why is this even a discussion. Name me one big name player that the Packers have had to cut due to cap issues? What's the last contract they've had to restructure, outside of Hawk which was a pay cut due to performance, in order to create cap space?

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats because Eli Manning should never be grouped in with Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.

Really? Aside from two remarkable SB runs where he played unconscious football, Eli has played entire seasons (yes, that's a plural, and it's on purpose) where his play has been arguably the single biggest detriment to his team's playoff aspirations. He has two rings, and he'll probably have people who suggest that makes him a HOFer, but his regular season play is mediocre at best, and I defy anyone to tell me his regular season passing stats aren't grossly inflated by garbage time yards when his team is so far down they can't see daylight to catch up...

I thought Kurt Warner's commentary on Eli's career following his last Superbowl win was the fairest and most accurate (non-hating, non-blind worshipping) assessment of a player whose upside is tremendous but so rarely and inconsistently tapped over a very long sample size...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Aside from two remarkable SB runs where he played unconscious football, Eli has played entire seasons (yes, that's a plural, and it's on purpose) where his play has been arguably the single biggest detriment to his team's playoff aspirations. He has two rings, and he'll probably have people who suggest that makes him a HOFer, but his regular season play is mediocre at best, and I defy anyone to tell me his regular season passing stats aren't grossly inflated by garbage time yards when his team is so far down they can't see daylight to catch up...

I thought Kurt Warner's commentary on Eli's career following his last Superbowl win was the fairest and most accurate (non-hating, non-blind worshipping) assessment of a player whose upside is tremendous but so rarely and inconsistently tapped over a very long sample size...

You must think very highly of Dilfer and Johnson.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what happens when you don't draft well and get good young players on the roster before they're needed. Briggs is only going to get older and I doubt he'll stay healthy all year. Tillman had three separate injuries last year. Ratlif WAS (read that again, W-A-S) one of the better DTs two or three years ago. Houston is a massive upgrade over McCllelan and Wooton but Allen doesn't play the run as well as Peppers. They absolutely needed to go get a guy who could rush the passer and they got one, but in the long run doing it this way will have a downside.

Who cares? If they win the SB who cares? I remember when ppl said the same thing about Denver having cap issues when they beat guess who in the SB? Green Bay. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares? If they win the SB who cares? I remember when ppl said the same thing about Denver having cap issues when they beat guess who in the SB? Green Bay. I'm sure they know what they're doing.
Because when you still fail to win you suck for the next 5+yrs. Or you can do it the packers way and be in the mix EVERY year. What is there not to get?

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because when you still fail to win you suck for the next 5+yrs. Or you can do it the packers way and be in the mix EVERY year. What is there not to get?

The patriots do this every year and are more competitive than the packers are. The packers have been essentially one and done the past 3 years. At this point with the core they have, one and done isn't good enough. And honestly are they really in the mix? With Seattle and San Fran where they are now, the packers are still a ways away from that level. I am not saying they can't get there, but the free agent pick up of Peppers is refreshing for a change, now lets hope the last few draft picks can start doing something useful. And hope this years draft provides something better than the last few have.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The patriots do this every year and are more competitive than the packers are. The packers have been essentially one and done the past 3 years. At this point with the core they have, one and done isn't good enough. And honestly are they really in the mix? With Seattle and San Fran where they are now, the packers are still a ways away from that level. I am not saying they can't get there, but the free agent pick up of Peppers is refreshing for a change, now lets hope the last few draft picks can start doing something useful. And hope this years draft provides something better than the last few have.

The Patriots build through the draft and patch with free agency. How many big name free agents were on their roster last season? Maybe Amendola if you count him as big name and Talib if you include trades. They have unheard counts contribute consistently. In no way do they approach cap issues.

How are we not in the mix with the 49ers? Explain how a 3 point loss is a ways away. Without Matthews, Shields, and literally playing guys out of position due to injuries. If that's a ways away, what do you consider close?

Finally, to generalize all the last few years of drafting as not good is not accurate considering last year's class had as much impact as any in the league.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
********. The Packers have won 5 playoff games including a Superbowl in the last 5 years. The Patriots have won 4 playoff games and no Superbowls. And the Packers have done this with greater competition in the NFC compared to the slack-*** AFC - the NFC has won 4 of the last 5 SBs.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
********. The Packers have won 5 playoff games including a Superbowl in the last 5 years. The Patriots have won 4 playoff games and no Superbowls. And the Packers have done this with greater competition in the NFC compared to the slack-*** AFC - the NFC has won 4 of the last 5 SBs.

yabut....yabut....but....:tdown: hmmmmmm....well.....:whistling:....ummmmm...:unsure:.....ahhhhhh

:laugh::tup:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Bears are carrying a lot of "dead money" this year that won't count against the cap next year. The Bears cap includes former players like Peppers, Gabe Carimi, Michael Bush, ect. Add that to the fact that Peanut Tillman is only on a one-year and it is the last year of Lance Briggs' contract and the situation might not be that bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Bears are carrying a lot of "dead money" this year that won't count against the cap next year. The Bears cap includes former players like Peppers, Gabe Carimi, Michael Bush, ect. Add that to the fact that Peanut Tillman is only on a one-year and it is the last year of Lance Briggs' contract and the situation might not be that bad.

Actually the cap situation doesn´t look that bad for the Bears, and in comparison to the opinion of a lot of posters here it doesn´t look that great for the Packers. As of right now, only 9 teams have committed more towards the 2015 cap than the Packers.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the cap situation doesn´t look that bad for the Bears, and in comparison to the opinion of a lot of posters here it doesn´t look that great for the Packers. As of right now, only 9 teams have committed more towards the 2015 cap than the Packers.

But I will still maintain that we won't lose any of our star players because of it. TT knows what he is doing and that's why spending outrageous money this offseason just because we had a little extra was a pipe dream.

D

Deleted member 6794

But I will still maintain that we won't lose any of our star players because of it. TT knows what he is doing and that's why spending outrageous money this offseason just because we had a little extra was a pipe dream.

The numbers I posted above are obviously without the rollover cap space from 2014 (where the Packers do have more cap space available than most other teams), and although it will result in $5 million of dead money, releasing Peppers before next season would save $7 million in cap space.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My point was that the patriots use all 3 avenues of acquiring players while the packers generally just draft. And signing free agents don't break the bank and screw up your cap for 5 years afterwards. 4 of those packers playoff wins were from the super bowl run. What have they done since then? 1 win over the Joe Webb Vikings, that to me isn't good enough.

and until the packers can make a conference final and walk the walk of being an elite team, then they just aren't there yet. Yes I agree the NFC is a lot tougher the last few years but since the packers won the super bowl, they have been essentially one and done. Are they not better than that or are we just seeing this team through rose coloured glasses? they are close but until they actually advance in the playoffs and start doing anything other than just making it in, this team isn't on the elite level. They have the core to do it and like I said earlier signing Peppers was a breath of fresh air. Lets just hope the draft actually brings in some talent.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All I'm saying is that they haven't been very cap friendly this offseason. I can't guarantee it will cause cap issues, but it would worry me some if I were a Bears fan as it could continue. Especially restructuring such a recent contract, which shows a cap miscalculation.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point was that the patriots use all 3 avenues of acquiring players while the packers generally just draft. And signing free agents don't break the bank and screw up your cap for 5 years afterwards. 4 of those packers playoff wins were from the super bowl run. What have they done since then? 1 win over the Joe Webb Vikings, that to me isn't good enough.

and until the packers can make a conference final and walk the walk of being an elite team, then they just aren't there yet. Yes I agree the NFC is a lot tougher the last few years but since the packers won the super bowl, they have been essentially one and done. Are they not better than that or are we just seeing this team through rose coloured glasses? they are close but until they actually advance in the playoffs and start doing anything other than just making it in, this team isn't on the elite level. They have the core to do it and like I said earlier signing Peppers was a breath of fresh air. Lets just hope the draft actually brings in some talent.
So you are saying, that the Patriots, despite less success, use all three avenues to build their team so they are better. And you are also saying, that despite signing Woodson, Peppers and Pickett, that Thompson doesn't sign FAs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Lets just hope the draft actually brings in some talent."

You're still acting like every recent draft class has not been good. Last year's class was very good. It seems like you're just choosing to ignore that.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are saying, that the Patriots, despite less success, use all three avenues to build their team so they are better. And you are also saying, that despite signing Woodson, Peppers and Pickett, that Thompson doesn't sign FAs.

Good post. I've heard others try to argue this same thing. It's always "look at this other team that uses more than just the draft." I respond with, "well, the Packers have been better than them doing it their way." For some reason, that reasoning doesn't work though. It's like some fans want to sign and trade for guys just because it's an option no matter what the results have been.

Plus, getting a 3rd and 5th rounder out of not doing anything in free agency last season is a win to me.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Lets just hope the draft actually brings in some talent."

You're still acting like every recent draft class has not been good. Last year's class was very good. It seems like you're just choosing to ignore that.

Stop trying to bring logic to the discussion, you're wasting your time.

Members online

Latest posts