Janis??

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are reasons Janis- and Abby- couldn't get on the field most of the year at a position that was screaming for help. You saw a good example of it in Janis blown route in the end zone.
Great game, but one game does not a career make.

There's timing issues on both sides of that relationship. Rodgers also once again under threw him when he was open on a fly route. I don't know if it's just because Rodgers isn't used to having big fast targets but a WR should never have to slow down on a fly route. The ball should be thrown so he can catch it in stride and take it to the house.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to think Janis is a mediocre practice field player who seems to elevate his play under the lights. We can ask where has Janis been but have we seen the closed practices? Back in T-camp the word from the press was that Janis was a bubble player who hadn't shown much improvement as a wide receiver. Then in the pre season games he decisively emerged It can't be denied that he had one of the greatest games for a wide receiver in our hallowed Post Season history. You can teach a guy to run better routes, and you can teach a guy the playbook. But you can't coach a guy to be 6'3 220 pounds and then coach him again to run a 4.3-4.4 second forty. You also have to admire how he goes up and fights for a contested ball, I haven't seen a Packer player go up for jump balls like that since Javon Walker was in his prime.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I see the people lauding Janis for being such a gamer all I can wonder is if they realize he has played in other games this year.

He came up big. Let's see if he can build on it. But acting like a single good game, or even great if you want to argue, isn't proof that he's a star just waiting to shine.

R Rodgers had a huge game this year also. Nobody started calling him Gronk but there's a ton of people that are so infatuated with Janis that it blinds them to a degree.

He's our 5th best WR heading inot nextra season. 4th at best if you've jumped on the Adams is a bust bandwagon and that doesn't even take in to account if the Packers draft a wideout.

All I'm saying is take it easy on how much your going to fawn over him. It's still just one game.

Sky King

Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...s-playoff-failures-b99651946z1-365591411.html

Excerpt from the above article:

Speaking of playmakers, it took injuries to Davante Adams and Randall Cobb to get Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis extended playing time and opportunities. Both responded well Saturday and Janis was brilliant down the stretch.

That raises the question of why neither figured more prominently in the offense earlier. The idea that Rodgers didn't have confidence in the young receivers and the generally accepted theory that Janis was an unpolished route runner seem to be, in hindsight, bogus. (emphasis added) Shouldn't McCarthy have known that either or both could have contributed when the offense struggled for long stretches?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a month ago he was dropping easy slant passes and he was running wrong routes, heck 2 days ago he was too. He had a good game, I hope he can build on it. But am I the only person that thought it was amazing how much more time Rodgers had on Saturday than at pretty much any other time in the season? There seemed to be an actual pocket at times even. To me, that was the obvious difference over a lot of our games, especially the last one we played. Somehow I think we would have been better with a healthy Adams and Cobb in there too, but hey, it's easier to write an article about bad coaching if you don't consider that possibility

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I see the people lauding Janis for being such a gamer all I can wonder is if they realize he has played in other games this year.

He came up big. Let's see if he can build on it. But acting like a single good game, or even great if you want to argue, isn't proof that he's a star just waiting to shine.

R Rodgers had a huge game this year also. Nobody started calling him Gronk but there's a ton of people that are so infatuated with Janis that it blinds them to a degree.

He's our 5th best WR heading inot nextra season. 4th at best if you've jumped on the Adams is a bust bandwagon and that doesn't even take in to account if the Packers draft a wideout.

All I'm saying is take it easy on how much your going to fawn over him. It's still just one game.

He also made a couple splash plays against San Diego. I'm not in the camp of Janis as a future star, but it's hard to overlook the guy's playmaking ability.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
During the history of the NFL, there have been so many one hit wonders that went no where after one shining game. Not saying this is the path Janis will take and as a Packer fan I hope it isn't. But...everything in regards to Janis prior to Saturday has me leaning towards not yet declaring him the second coming of anyone. Kudos on his 2 hail mary catches for 101 yards. Before that he had 5 catches for 44 yards in the game and 2 catches all season long. Let's hope Jeff can prove himself during training camp, the class room and practices and see if maybe he is THAT guy.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...s-playoff-failures-b99651946z1-365591411.html

Excerpt from the above article:

Speaking of playmakers, it took injuries to Davante Adams and Randall Cobb to get Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis extended playing time and opportunities. Both responded well Saturday and Janis was brilliant down the stretch.

That raises the question of why neither figured more prominently in the offense earlier. The idea that Rodgers didn't have confidence in the young receivers and the generally accepted theory that Janis was an unpolished route runner seem to be, in hindsight, bogus. (emphasis added) Shouldn't McCarthy have known that either or both could have contributed when the offense struggled for long stretches?
I wouldn't say it's bogus, but I think it has been exaggerated just how awful his route running is.

In the past, they've seemed to either ignore him or try to force plays to him, instead of allowing him to just run the route tree like Adams or anyone else. We saw he could handle the sideline back-shoulder throw, the slant route, and the scramble drill with Rodgers.

I can't blame Rodgers for being hesitant to go to him in the past, because an inexperienced player being out of position could result in disaster. I'm not saying he should take Adams job, but he needs to be out on the field more. You don't have to just have 3 WRs in the entire game.

Sky King

Reaction score
a month ago he was dropping easy slant passes and he was running wrong routes, heck 2 days ago he was too. He had a good game, I hope he can build on it. But am I the only person that thought it was amazing how much more time Rodgers had on Saturday than at pretty much any other time in the season? There seemed to be an actual pocket at times even. To me, that was the obvious difference over a lot of our games, especially the last one we played. Somehow I think we would have been better with a healthy Adams and Cobb in there too, but hey, it's easier to write an article about bad coaching if you don't consider that possibility
Cobb, yes. But that may be somewhat contingent upon him playing with a complimentary deep threat. Cobb got open more often when Jordy drew extra attention from the S position. Adams is not a deep threat nor is Jones. Janis is.

Even with a healthier ankle Adams will never become fast. He also needs to overcome his aversion to making the clutch catch. Janis may have a smaller body of work but the results have been superior to anything Adams has produced, especially in the clutch.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lets not forget about who threw those 2 passes to Janis, who by the way didn't really run some amazing route that freed him up on either catch. Awesome catches, yes but Janis was in the right spot at the right time on 2 amazing throws. I remember after Richard Rodgers Hail Rodgers catch, a few people slacked off on his criticism, but few hoisted him up on their shoulders, ready to say "Richard is our man". Time will tell who Jeff Janis really is as a WR in the NFL. But for those criticizing MM because "Janis didn't get more playing time" this year, you might want to look at the big picture as to why he was not on the field more in previous games and why he was on the field more for this one. If Janis's contract were up and you were TT, how much would you be willing to pay him? OK......got my answer.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the history of the NFL, there have been so many one hit wonders that went no where after one shining game. Not saying this is the path Janis will take and as a Packer fan I hope it isn't. But...everything in regards to Janis prior to Saturday has me leaning towards not yet declaring him the second coming of anyone. Kudos on his 2 hail mary catches for 101 yards. Before that he had 5 catches for 44 yards in the game and 2 catches all season long. Let's hope Jeff can prove himself during training camp, the class room and practices and see if maybe he is THAT guy.
That's true, but it's the situations in which he made those plays that is just as encouraging. Most of his catches were either on 3rd down or impossible 4th down situations.

Adams is as much of a one hit wonder, IMO. He has maybe 2 big games in his career, while getting starter reps for the majority of it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb, yes. But that may be somewhat contingent upon him playing with a complimentary deep threat. Cobb got open more often when Jordy drew extra attention from the S position. Adams is not a deep threat nor is Jones. Janis is.

Even with a healthier ankle Adams will never become fast. He also needs to overcome his aversion to making the clutch catch. Janis may have a smaller body of work but the results have been superior to anything Adams has produced, especially in the clutch.
I don't think so, Adams' playoff game last year against Dallas was every bit as good, if not better than Janis' last night. I think Adams was coming around quietly the past few weeks and then was out with an injury again. We'll see if either of these guys has what it takes to sustain next year, but Janis has had other opportunities and he's breaking out and up when he should have been breaking across. He's taken himself out of plays by horrible misjudgements of the ball in the air and he's dropped some right in his hands. It's not as if this guy is all money all the time.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so, Adams' playoff game last year against Dallas was every bit as good, if not better than Janis' last night. I think Adams was coming around quietly the past few weeks and then was out with an injury again. We'll see if either of these guys has what it takes to sustain next year, but Janis has had other opportunities and he's breaking out and up when he should have been breaking across. He's taken himself out of plays by horrible misjudgements of the ball in the air and he's dropped some right in his hands. It's not as if this guy is all money all the time.
You just described many of Adams mistakes, yet he's staying in the games. Adams had a very good game last year, but had the benefit of a zone defense against a weak unit and Cobb and Nelson on the field. Janis didn't have any of those things working in his favor against Arizona.

Teams manned Adams up this year, and he couldn't get open. An entire year has passed since the Dallas game, and Adams hasn't had any performance close to comparable since.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I do not think it really matters who is better. None of our receivers are on contract years besides Jones who was signed to a one year deal, we should just be happy that if and when we are healthy, we are actually pretty deep at the position. Should we not resign James Jones, I still feel ok about the position. If Adams is not working, plug him in with JJ. If Cobb is hurt, put in Abby. We are in a good position for next year.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The development of receivers is hurt by the coaching staff. Alex Van Pelt splits receivers and qb coaching duties. That is unacceptable. All positions deserve a dedicated coach.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not think it really matters who is better. None of our receivers are on contract years besides Jones who was signed to a one year deal, we should just be happy that if and when we are healthy, we are actually pretty deep at the position. Should we not resign James Jones, I still feel ok about the position. If Adams is not working, plug him in with JJ. If Cobb is hurt, put in Abby. We are in a good position for next year.
We do have good depth, unless Nelson goes out again. Then we have no #1 receiver, and possibly the same mess we did this year.

Sky King

Reaction score
Adams benefited from the attention that both Nelson and Cobb drew last season. Better than Janis's last game by comparison? Not IMHO. The circumstances were not the same and Janis had the much tougher task.

Janis had neither Jordy nor Cobb to draw some attention away from himself this past Sunday in the same way that Adams had benefited from all of last season.

May I presume that your criticism of Janis dropping a long pass was the one early in the season? I'm not so sure that a single drop outweighs a season full of them for Adams. Cobb, too, for that matter.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What the play of Janis and Abbrederis late in the season tell me is Thompson needs to concentrate on acquiring players at other positions. Of course it’d be great to acquire a sure-handed speed demon WR but there are too many other spots in need of upgrades. With the return of Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, and Adams along with Janis and Abbrederis that’s six WRs, all under contract. (Only Jones is a UFA.) As some of us suggested when injuries hit the WR position, Janis should have been used as a deep threat, even if his routes had to be simplified. IMO Saturday’s game proved at the very least if he still hasn’t learned the nuances of the position by next season, those kinds of routes should be called to take advantage of his physical talents. That would mean Nelson and Janis could provide the deep threat missing this season and with the return of a deep threat and number 1 WR, all the other receivers should be better. IMO the number one upgrade for the passing game would be acquiring a veteran OT who could challenge Bakhtiari at LT or at least serve as a competent backup OT, leaving Tretter the primary backup inside. The number two upgrade for the passing game would be acquiring a receiving threat at TE (and if he were an average blocker, that’d be great too).

Sky King

Reaction score
... IMO Saturday’s game proved at the very least if he still hasn’t learned the nuances of the position by next season, those kinds of routes should be called to take advantage of his physical talents. That would mean Nelson and Janis could provide the deep threat missing this season and with the return of a deep threat and number 1 WR, all the other receivers should be better...
Amen. When the QB is capable of making all the throws there seems to be no compelling argument to avoid calling plays that should complement the strengths of any receiver.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen. When the QB is capable of making all the throws there seems to be no compelling argument to avoid calling plays that should complement the strengths of any receiver.
Given our current offensive scheme, we need players in the mold of Nelson and Janis, rather than Adams, Cobb, Jones, etc. Big, fast players who are mismatches and can create separation with speed on iso spread routes.

Nothing against the other guys, as they could be studs in a scheme like NE, which rely on quick hitting plays and WRs with quickness to make things happen after the catch. But Janis really seems like the only player who can be the "next man up" if Jordy is out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Given our current offensive scheme, we need players in the mold of Nelson and Janis, rather than Adams, Cobb, Jones, etc. Big, fast players who are mismatches and can create separation with speed on iso spread routes.

Nothing against the other guys, as they could be studs in a scheme like NE, which rely on quick hitting plays and WRs with quickness to make things happen after the catch. But Janis really seems like the only player who can be the "next man up" if Jordy is out.

The Packers need slot receivers like Cobb and Abbrederis as well and all of the receivers will benefit from hopefully getting Nelson back at full strength for next season.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis isn't able to run an actual route, but damn
Nice post. The Oline was key and I can't help but wonder how things would have turned out had we not lost Cobb in this one. As for Janis, he has the speed we are missing at WR, and I like him on special teams, but he's not Jordy.2. Because of his struggles with route running (and changing direction), there may be limits to the number of ways he can be utilized. I'm glad he got the opportunity this week to contribute and up his game. Same goes for Abby.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This fan's opinion as of Jan. 19th 2016

1) Nelson
2) TBD WR (Draft or FA)
3) Cobb/Abby
4) Janis/Adams (Vertical routes)
5) Montgomery (Underneath, Backfield)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets not forget about who threw those 2 passes to Janis, who by the way didn't really run some amazing route that freed him up on either catch. Awesome catches, yes but Janis was in the right spot at the right time on 2 amazing throws. I remember after Richard Rodgers Hail Rodgers catch, a few people slacked off on his criticism, but few hoisted him up on their shoulders, ready to say "Richard is our man". Time will tell who Jeff Janis really is as a WR in the NFL. But for those criticizing MM because "Janis didn't get more playing time" this year, you might want to look at the big picture as to why he was not on the field more in previous games and why he was on the field more for this one. If Janis's contract were up and you were TT, how much would you be willing to pay him? OK......got my answer.

Richard Rodgers is a player of limited overall ability apart from his body control and vertical. Janis on the other hand has shown not only that he does have plus speed and athleticism but that he has a knack for making big plays at big moments. See Az and SD. Whereas Rodgers has marginal speed at his position, Janis is something of a physical freak.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we need at WR is a real deep threat. Not just someone who can run fast but who can run sharp routes and get open and then catch the ball consistantly when it's thrown to them. We have a lot of Slot guys but Jordy is really the only other proven outside threat. If Janis will ever learn the offense how to run good routes, he could be that guy. Adams, I think will be better simply by Jordy being there but I'm seeing him as a #4 right now, with Jordy 1, Cobb 2 and Ty-Mo 3.

Latest posts