James Starks was almost a Bear

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL playoffs rookie report card | National Football Post

...On draft day last year while I was still Director of College Scouting with the Bears, we had a lot of discussion about Starks. Three different people had graded Starks (the area scout, me and Jerry Angelo) and all three of us had high grades. Going into the draft, the running back position was not a big need because we had Matt Forte and had just signed Chester Taylor as a free agent. When we got to the 6th round and Starks was still on the board he stuck out like a sore thumb,...

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
You snooze you lose.

I think someone just recently posted here that Ray Lewis was almost a Packer.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
ivo posted that Ray Lewis was almost a Packer. Every team has a few could of's, think of how the 49'ers feel, Smith versus Rodgers.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
The worse "Could of" in Packer history has to be drafting Tony Mandritch before Barry Sanders......sigh.

Great read. He was so close to becoming a Bear. Wow. I agree with the scout, that backing out at the last minute made the Bears look bad. Classy move there Angelo.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worse "Could of" in Packer history has to be drafting Tony Mandritch before Barry Sanders......sigh.

Great read. He was so close to becoming a Bear. Wow. I agree with the scout, that backing out at the last minute made the Bears look bad. Classy move there Angelo.

I dont know, would we have gone after Favre? Would Ron Wolf have been hired? We might have been the lions of the 90s.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I dont know, would we have gone after Favre? Would Ron Wolf have been hired? We might have been the lions of the 90s.

Well, my could of theory goes, Barry Sanders and Brett Farve on the same team. Bet Barry wouldn't have retired so soon.

And GB winning 2 more SBs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Only the Bears

If the agent agreed then I would call the player and give him the news that the Bears were going to take him. This is exactly what happened with Starks. I was on the phone for a minute or so with Starks when Angelo walked in my office and told me he had changed his mind and was drafting LeFevour.

I put Starks on hold and then said to Angelo that Stein had already talked to the agent and I had the player on the phone…we couldn’t do business like that.

He said he was sorry but he decided he wanted LeFevour and the card had been turned in.

I then had to tell the player (a player that I had developed a good relationship with over the previous two years) that in fact we were not drafting him. Hearing a kid go from being extremely excited to silence was not easy. It was the most embarrassing moment I had experienced while scouting.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
starks is on a consistent team. we consistently have winning seasons and go to the playoffs. the bears on the other hand have 4 bad seasons then a playoff run then 4 bad seasons

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Bears were afraid he was a party animal., and he is. Proof: After a breakout game against the Eagles, Starks did the following:
1) He listened to Gospel music
2) Talked to his mother and his pastors
3) Watched a movie
4) Went to bed

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
The Bears were afraid he was a party animal., and he is. Proof: After a breakout game against the Eagles, Starks did the following:
1) He listened to Gospel music
2) Talked to his mother and his pastors
3) Watched a movie
4) Went to bed

hahaha o hes crazy lol where did u find this out at?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Bears were supposed to draft a RB that they did not need in the 6th round?
A month and a half AFTER they signed Chester Taylor to back up Matt Forte?
And how many other teams passed on this guy who has had a grand total of one good game in the NFL?
[FONT=&quot]
Packer fans should NEVER talk about a draft in hindsight.

[/FONT]

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Phil, I dont question why they didnt draft him...

Just interesting he was called and said your a Bear, then while on the phone with him still they said, opps our bad, your not a Bear

Thats just effed up

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Bears were supposed to draft a RB that they did not need in the 6th round?
And how many other teams passed on this guy who has had a grand total of one good game in the NFL?
[FONT=&quot]
Packer fans should NEVER talk about a draft in hindsight.

[/FONT]
Yeah, instead they drafted a QB they didn't need, and they cut the guy before the season starts...

Angelo was a **** by telling him he was going to be drafted and backing out of the deal, then he WASTED a draft pick on the other guy, all while the Packers get a RB that was a major reason why they advanced past the wild card round.

No no. It was a great move by the bears...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score

Yeah, they just drafted a bust QB instead and looked disingenuous in doing it. Guess that is par for the course in Chicago. Not how I want my team doing business.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil, I dont question why they didnt draft him...

Just interesting he was called and said your a Bear, then while on the phone with him still they said, opps our bad, your not a Bear

Thats just effed up

Probably because Jerry Angelo is an idiot.
It would be hard to find any Bears fans that don't feel that way.

I dread seeing him conduct another bears draft.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's your name?

Bond, James Bond.

Starks. James Starks.

A tip of the hat to ilovemypackers a good poster and reporter for Packer Forum, who gave me the idea.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles blame Starks as part of the reason why they lost. They referred to him as an "unknown" running back that they did not game plan for! I just love that so much!!!!!

Starks jerseys anyone? :)

Staff online

Latest posts