James Jones is a Packer

do the Packers go after Jones?

• Total voters

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
38 catches on 66 targets...11.7 YPC. I'm just not seeing it. He wasn't the bottom guy, he was the #3 essentially all season.

You could look up a lot of other WRs drafted around him and see more of them as rookies. Again I think he has a nice rookie year, I just think you're overstating his rookie success.
Beat me to it. Caught 57% of his targets from a 66% QB. Those numbers are fine for a rookie, you have to start somewhere. Monster year compared to his second, but not much else.

By comparison, Nelson caught 65% of his targets his first two years. Adams is at 55% now.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The over reaction would be yours. Where did you extrapolate all that from my post?.

Ah, I see. My fault Curly, I wasn't too clear there. I meant it would be more indicative of the slow to change / don't rock the boat attitude at 1265 Lombardi.

Fair enough.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew someone was going to bring up Driver. Driver came from a different era when draft picks were allowed to develop. In today's NFL if you're drafted in Rounds 5-7 you're lucky to make the team in some instances.

I'll give you credit, Janis and Abbrederis don't have many opportunities. But let me ask you this, why are we stringing them along then? We don't need 6 or 7 WRs on the roster. We can do fine with 5. As long as we have a receiving type RB which we do in Starks and perhaps add an athletic TE in the Draft or FA they can fill in if necessary.

Janis and Abbrederis aren't raking in serious cash but that money tied up could have been spent in FA or to re-sign key guys if necessary.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis and Abbrederis aren't raking in serious cash but that money tied up could have been spent in FA or to re-sign key guys if necessary.

Janis and Abbrederis have accounted for close to only $300,000 more in cap hits since entering the league than rookies on a minimum would have. The Packers couldn't have done anything in free agency with that money.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say that money alone could lock up a FA but that could be the difference in a signing bonus or total salary that puts a guy in Green and Gold or back on the plane to go meet with another team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't say that money alone could lock up a FA but that could be the difference in a signing bonus or total salary that puts a guy in Green and Gold or back on the plane to go meet with another team.

$300K over three seasons doesn't even qualify as peanuts in the NFL.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis and Abbrederis have accounted for close to only $300,000 more in cap hits since entering the league than rookies on a minimum would have. The Packers couldn't have done anything in free agency with that money.
Agreed. The effect their salaries have on the big picture aren't even worth contemplating, though he had the point of having 7 players on the roster being unnecessary. But I wouldn't worry about their potential going to waste, because if they are dressed on Sunday, they could have their shot. If not, they'll be put on the PS and can be picked up by any other team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is like saying I couldn't make my mortgage payment but then I found a dollar in my jeans doing laundry and I was good to go.

If we absolutely had to free up $300K in cap space it would be as simple as making a call to Rodgers asking him to convert a tiny piece of his base salary this year to a prorated bonus.

Last edited:

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
I knew someone was going to bring up Driver. Driver came from a different era when draft picks were allowed to develop. In today's NFL if you're drafted in Rounds 5-7 you're lucky to make the team in some instances.

I'll give you credit, Janis and Abbrederis don't have many opportunities. But let me ask you this, why are we stringing them along then? We don't need 6 or 7 WRs on the roster. We can do fine with 5. As long as we have a receiving type RB which we do in Starks and perhaps add an athletic TE in the Draft or FA they can fill in if necessary.

Just hope that they do get many opportunities. As it is time to step up and let them do so. At least three W.R. are enough for any team. Not just the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. The effect their salaries have on the big picture aren't even worth contemplating, though he had the point of having 7 players on the roster being unnecessary. But I wouldn't worry about their potential going to waste, because if they are dressed on Sunday, they could have their shot. If not, they'll be put on the PS and can be picked up by any other team.

I agree there's no reason to keep seven receivers on the roster. But the Packers have kept six several times and I expect that to happen again this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

James Jones is visiting with the Chargers today after Stevie Johnson injured his meniscus during yesterday's practice.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones is visiting with the Chargers today after Stevie Johnson injured his meniscus during yesterday's practice.

Good for him, it's a crime he hasn't caught on somewhere. He can still play and deserves a chance to play.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good guy, good player, keep playing as long as you can.

Watching Favre on that Gruden QB Camp show, he talked about what he missed the most. It wasn't the game, it was the locker room stuff, the in-the-huddle stuff, jumping on teammates, etc. Any player that has a shot to keep playing at the highest level should do it because they'll never feel that same love again.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He pulled off some great contested grabs last year. I think he screwed himself with the " see you should have paid me" , and "time for an extension" talk... I shouldnt have used quotes, but something similar was said after he had that run of tds early on.

It didnt help he lost a step towards the end of the year. Banged up i suppose...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

He pulled off some great contested grabs last year. I think he screwed himself with the " see you should have paid me" , and "time for an extension" talk... I shouldnt have used quotes, but something similar was said after he had that run of tds early on.

Jones said that he hoped to do enough in 2015 where he can get an extension and finish out his career in Green Bay. But at the same time he understood the business end of it and that Nelson is coming back this season.

He didn't mention anything close to what you made up.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones said that he hoped to do enough in 2015 where he can get an extension and finish out his career in Green Bay. But at the same time he understood the business end of it and that Nelson is coming back this season.

He didn't mention anything close to what you made up.
Oh get lost.
It was mentioned he was ribbing people at practice. Bringing up them not resigning him and that they should keep him. I thought right away, that mustve been awkward and not good strategy to actually stay... Humility wouldve been a better aproach...

You need to get off my case. I dont hold it against you that you are a know it all who doesnt like anything that doesnt fit nicely in your box... You shouldnt hold it against me that i dont care enough to search an hour for the link to a dumb article from last years practice...

You want to start another **** throwing contest. Be my guest.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was mentioned he was ribbing people at practice. Bringing up them not resigning him and that they should keep him. I thought right away, that mustve been awkward and not good strategy to actually stay... Humility wouldve been a better aproach...

You shouldnt hold it against me that i dont care enough to search an hour for the link to a dumb article from last years practice.

Well, if you want to denounce Jones for what he supposedly said last season you should at least be able to back it up. But I know by now that you have huge trouble understanding that.

Members online

Latest posts