James Jones is a Packer

do the Packers go after Jones?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

I feel like Janis and Abbrederis are holding us back by the Packers waiting an eternity for them to progress. I honestly think teams knew they were scrubs and didn't give them enough diligence which led to some exciting plays. I would rather we dump both, keep Jones until he has a definite drop off or retires and let Montgomery progress; he's more of the future than either.

Both Abbrederis and Janis have flashed enough potential to stick around. Most likely none of them will be a starter entering next season but they're absolutely fine as the fifth and sixth receiver on the depth chart.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope they are given every opportunity Adams is and don't get playing time relative to their position in the draft.

The fact that Adams was a second-round draft pick will give him a longer leash than those who were drafted later. You may think that unfair or unwise, but that is the reality. Adams had a bad year last year to be sure, but then, Donald Driver didn't make a significant impact until his fourth season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/donalddriver/2500467/careerstats

Jordy Nelson was sub-1000 yards in his first three season:

http://www.nfl.com/player/jordynelson/1032/careerstats

Ditto Randall Cobb:

http://www.nfl.com/player/randallcobb/2495448/careerstats

Patience, especially with young wide receivers, can be a virtue.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that Adams was a second-round draft pick will give him a longer leash than those who were drafted later. You may think that unfair or unwise, but that is the reality. Adams had a bad year last year to be sure, but then, Donald Driver didn't make a significant impact until his fourth season.

Ditto Randall Cobb:

Cobb had 80 catches, nearly 1,000 yards and 8 TDs in his second season. He was injured 10 games in his third, though he was on pace to have an even better year and has that huge catch against Chicago. And keep in mind, Cobb was technically more raw than any of these guys, since he bounced around so many positions in college and was only a featured receiver in his final year.

Cobb is really the only guy you can compare him to since they received many more snaps at this point of their career, and Adams clearly doesn't measure up. Cobb had better guys around him that year, but Adams didn't pass the eye test. He stunk. He hurt the team. He showed no toughness, work ethic, and his athletic ability shown on the field was very underwhelming.

With Abbrederis and Janis, we saw more effort and mobility , so their misgivings were more forgivable. You just can't teach a guy competitiveness, and I don't see that from Adams. His physical tools aren't great, but could make him a good player. I just don't know if he'll be able to make the jump he needs to mentally.

It's not just experience, it is the player as well. The other guys didn't start in year 1, but I'm willing to bet they would have been better at this point than Adams is.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ditto Randall Cobb:

Different players, different situations. It's not that I'm disagreeing with you, Curly. But Adams play for large chunks of last season wasn't even worthy of making an NFL roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb had 80 catches, nearly 1,000 yards and 8 TDs in his second season. He was injured 10 games in his third, though he was on pace to have an even better year and has that huge catch against Chicago. And keep in mind, Cobb was technically more raw than any of these guys, since he bounced around so many positions in college and was only a featured receiver in his final year.

Cobb is really the only guy you can compare him to since they received many more snaps at this point of their career, and Adams clearly doesn't measure up. Cobb had better guys around him that year, but Adams didn't pass the eye test. He stunk. He hurt the team. He showed no toughness, work ethic, and his athletic ability shown on the field was very underwhelming.

With Abbrederis and Janis, we saw more effort and mobility , so their misgivings were more forgivable. You just can't teach a guy competitiveness, and I don't see that from Adams. His physical tools aren't great, but could make him a good player. I just don't know if he'll be able to make the jump he needs to mentally.

It's not just experience, it is the player as well. The other guys didn't start in year 1, but I'm willing to bet they would have been better at this point than Adams is.

I don't mean this in a mean way at all...but effort and work ethic are only seen by teammates or coaches at practice, in the weight room but is difficult to grade from coaches.

I get what you are saying though, but I wouldn't equate what Abb and Janis did to more effort in those last couple games when they excelled. Adams had a monster first year, an underwhelming second year and is entering his third. Those two factors alone is why one cannot write him off....the disappointment and anger he showed at times during his failings this past season told me this is not a man who doesn't care...if he did he'd shrug it off and be joking smiling minutes later. He was pissed and in some eyes would be categorized as a pouter at times, but in reality I think he was just as pissed and frustrated with his play as we all were....again though that interpretation is tough to gauge from a couch as well.

AR kept looking his way, which speaks volumes to what AR thinks of him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, I think people understate how bad Adams was last year. I often hear his numbers through 2 years compared to other receivers who panned out well. The difference is, guys like Nelson did nothing their first 2 years because they had no opportunities to do so.

Adams had a major opportunity and he completely fell flat on his face.

Do I think he will get one more year to prove himself, yes. But some seem to think he's a foregone conclusion to rebound. His stock isn't close to a 2nd round pick anymore. He could easily be passed by Janis on the depth chart or even be among final cuts if he doesn't get it together and have a good camp.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mean this in a mean way at all...but effort and work ethic are only seen by teammates or coaches at practice, in the weight room but is difficult to grade from coaches.

I get what you are saying though, but I wouldn't equate what Abb and Janis did to more effort in those last couple games when they excelled. Adams had a monster first year, an underwhelming second year and is entering his third.

38 catches for 446 yards and 3 TDs is not a 'monster' first year. I would call it a promising first year, but when asked to take the next step in his 2nd season he was unable to do so.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, I think people understate how bad Adams was last year. I often hear his numbers through 2 years compared to other receivers who panned out well. The difference is, guys like Nelson did nothing their first 2 years because they had no opportunities to do so.

Adams had a major opportunity and he completely fell flat on his face.

Do I think he will get one more year to prove himself, yes. But some seem to think he's a foregone conclusion to rebound. His stock isn't close to a 2nd round pick anymore. He could easily be passed by Janis on the depth chart or even be among final cuts if he doesn't get it together and have a good camp.

I think it is more of his youth, inexperience and deer in the headlight look from being asked to instantly be a #2 threat....I think we can all agree he has the potential, he showed that in season one...but he also showed how bad he can be too....second season....the question NO ONE has the answer to is which Adams is the real one. Me personally, I think he is a solid depth WR...a guy who will excel at the 3rd or 4th threat on a receiving corps...hope he proves me wrong and he is more.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
38 catches for 446 yards and 3 TDs is not a 'monster' first year. I would call it a promising first year, but when asked to take the next step in his 2nd season he was unable to do so.

His first season you cannot look at his overall stats, check out how many times he was targeted, his drops and than his catches and yards per. For being basically the bottom option he captured every chance, and as a rookie on that year's offense, yes all things considered was as monster as it could be.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Different players, different situations. It's not that I'm disagreeing with you, Curly. But Adams play for large chunks of last season wasn't even worthy of making an NFL roster.

So you're done with him? Cut him?

I'll give him at least another year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats:
GP REC YDS AVG TDS
2007 16 47 676 14.4 2
2008 10 20 274 13.7 1
2009 16 32 440 13.8 5
2010 16 50 679 13.6 5
2011 16 38 635 16.7 7
2012 16 64 784 12.3 14
2013 14 59 817 13.8 3
2014 16 73 666 9.1 6
2015 16 50 890 17.8 8

Adams:

2014 16 38 446 11.7 3
2015 13 50 483 9.7 1

The top player grew into one of my favorites but didn't really light the league unfire early on....and while solid never has been a "huge threat or weapon".

I am not delusional and think Adams will have the career of the above player...but I'm also not delusional enough to say we've seen enough to know either way.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams had what, one big game his rookie year? That, and considering opponents were focused on Nelson and Cobb, I thought, while not as bad as his second season, he was no great shakes his rookie year either.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're done with him? Cut him?

I'll give him at least another year.

He's gonna get at least one more year no matter what; in Green Bay, it sometimes seems being on the roster one season gets you something akin to tenure.
But yeah, if I didn't see major improvement in training camp and pre season, I'd pull the plug.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams had what, one big game his rookie year? That, and considering opponents were focused on Nelson and Cobb, I thought, while not as bad as his second season, he was no great shakes his rookie year either.

Adams had two great games as a rookie vs. New England and Dallas in the playoffs. In addition he made a veteran play on the fake spike at Miami.

He's gonna get at least one more year no matter what; in Green Bay, it sometimes seems being on the roster one season gets you something akin to tenure.
But yeah, if I didn't see major improvement in training camp and pre season, I'd pull the plug.

The Packers cutting Adams would result in the team only having Nelson and Janis best suited to play outside. As long as the team doesn't draft a receiver early there's zero chance of Adams getting released.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then let's settle for mediocrity again and have the same conversations this time next year about why we fell short again and there goes another year of Rodgers career, and so on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then let's settle for mediocrity again and have the same conversations this time next year about why we fell short again and there goes another year of Rodgers career, and so on.

I'm absolutely fine with Adams having to battle for a starting spot but talking about releasing him is a huge overreaction to his struggles last season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm absolutely fine with Adams having to battle for a starting spot but talking about releasing him is a huge overreaction to his struggles last season.

I posted if he doesn't show huge improvement in training camp and preseason.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So, you believe either Adams has to go, or the season is lost. Is that right?

I hope you don't really believe that. That would constitute a textbook example of over-reaction.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, you believe either Adams has to go, or the season is lost. Is that right?

I hope you don't really believe that. That would constitute a textbook example of over-reaction.

The over reaction would be yours. Where did you extrapolate all that from my post?.

Ah, I see. My fault Curly, I wasn't too clear there. I meant it would be more indicative of the slow to change / don't rock the boat attitude at 1265 Lombardi.

D

Deleted member 6794

I posted if he doesn't show huge improvement in training camp and preseason.

What is your backup plan in that case as the team only has two other receivers on the roster best suited to play outside in Nelson and Janis???

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is your backup plan in that case as the team only has two other receivers on the roster best suited to play outside in Nelson and Janis???

Get New England type aggressive; there's draft, trade, free agency(at this point guys cut loose). Don't just settle for mediocrity.

D

Deleted member 6794

Get New England type aggressive; there's draft, trade, free agency(at this point guys cut loose). Don't just settle for mediocrity.

The draft will be long over by the time training camp finishes and no player released will be close to as talented as Adams. A trade would be an option but you need another team willing to trade an impact receiver in the first place.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft will be long over by the time training camp finishes and no player released will be close to as talented as Adams. A trade would be an option but you need another team willing to trade an impact receiver in the first place.

The draft is still to come. Back yourself up with a prospect. I'm not talking 'impact' WR; I agree that ain't gonna happen. But if last year is the real Adams, then you can't do worse by other means.

D

Deleted member 6794

The draft is still to come. Back yourself up with a prospect. I'm not talking 'impact' WR; I agree that ain't gonna happen. But if last year is the real Adams, then you can't do worse by other means.

There's no doubt Adams struggled last season but he still caught 50 balls, you can do way worse.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His first season you cannot look at his overall stats, check out how many times he was targeted, his drops and than his catches and yards per. For being basically the bottom option he captured every chance, and as a rookie on that year's offense, yes all things considered was as monster as it could be.

38 catches on 66 targets...11.7 YPC. I'm just not seeing it. He wasn't the bottom guy, he was the #3 essentially all season.

You could look up a lot of other WRs drafted around him and see more of them as rookies. Again I think he has a nice rookie year, I just think you're overstating his rookie success.

Members online

Latest posts