James Jones is a Packer

do the Packers go after Jones?

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Jordy is back at 100% and with the addition of Cook, our receiving corp. should be much faster then the one we saw last year. Given that, if there was an injury to any of the other wideouts, I'd be fine with a #3 like Jones, despite his slowness and lack of hoodie.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More like Plan F. The lack of team speed was the offense's chief liability last season. Jones was once a fairly speedy guy, but lost it somewhere along the way.

Yes, and he's now 32 years of age. Last season he was pretty productive in the first half of the season, less so as the year wore on. The one thing he has going for him is his familiarity with the system and Aaron Rodgers, but I don't know if that is enough anymore.

Class guy all the way, though. I wish him and his family nothing but the best.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, and he's now 32 years of age. Last season he was pretty productive in the first half of the season, less so as the year wore on. The one thing he has going for him is his familiarity with the system and Aaron Rodgers, but I don't know if that is enough anymore.

I wouldn't hold his age against him, Jordy is 31 and there have been plenty of successful WR's in the NFL older then 32. I also have read a few posts of people saying "his production slowed down the last half of the season". Did it? Was that James Jones alone or the Packer offense in general? He had some pretty good games the second half of the season against Minnesota (twice), Oakland and Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesjones/2507183/gamelogs?season=2015

But I get it, people see him as being washed up, same way the Giants viewed him last year. Fortunately for GB he was available after Jordy went down and his familiarity with AR and the Packer offense allowed him to be the Packers leading receiver with a nice average of 17.8 yds/catch.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Class guy all the way, though. I wish him and his family nothing but the best.
I'd take him over Adams right now. There's chemistry there that is lacking with any of the other receivers. As the 3rd option behind Cobb and Nelson, especially if Cook is a factor, he should be a contributor, especially in the red zone.

Adams is more athletic at this point on paper, but I don't see that translated on the field other than during his bubble screens. He can't get open or catch it consistently enough for me to prefer him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold his age against him, Jordy is 31 and there have been plenty of successful WR's in the NFL older then 32. I also have read a few posts of people saying "his production slowed down the last half of the season". Did it? Was that James Jones alone or the Packer offense in general? He had some pretty good games the second half of the season against Minnesota (twice), Oakland and Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesjones/2507183/gamelogs?season=2015

But I get it, people see him as being washed up, same way the Giants viewed him last year. Fortunately for GB he was available after Jordy went down and his familiarity with AR and the Packer offense allowed him to be the Packers leading receiver with a nice average of 17.8 yds/catch.

The first six games of the season: 6 touchdowns. The last 10 games: 2 touchdowns. Sure, it's not all his fault, and the Packer offense as a whole did suffer, but he didn't do much to change it.

I could be wrong, but I think his time in green and gold is over now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The first six games of the season: 6 touchdowns. The last 10 games: 2 touchdowns. Sure, it's not all his fault, and the Packer offense as a whole did suffer, but he didn't do much to change it.

You are correct, if you are basing your measurement of productivity solely on how many touchdowns a WR scores in a game.

But if you split the season in 1/2 (9 games each half)

Jones had 33 of his total 57 catches and 488 of his 971 total yards in the last half of the season. So I don't understand the "slowing down", unless you are also taking into account nagging injuries that may have been accumulating, which seems to happen with every player no matter their age.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take him over Adams right now. There's chemistry there that is lacking with any of the other receivers. As the 3rd option behind Cobb and Nelson, especially if Cook is a factor, he should be a contributor, especially in the red zone.

Adams is more athletic at this point on paper, but I don't see that translated on the field other than during his bubble screens. He can't get open or catch it consistently enough for me to prefer him.

I wouldn't. James Jones had a lot of drops early in his career also, including a memorable one in the Super Bowl. Green Bay reaped the benefits of hanging in there with him awhile. Patience with young receivers sometimes yields that.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't. James Jones had a lot of drops early in his career also, including a memorable one in the Super Bowl. Green Bay reaped the benefits of hanging in there with him awhile. Patience with young receivers sometimes yields that.
I'm not saying to give up on him completely, but i believe this season, Jones is a better player and would help the team to win. He never developed into a star, just a guy who could and still can produce because of his chemistry with our QB and having good complementary receivers.

Adams isn't inconsistent, he's just plain bad at this point. When he's not dropping balls, he's not doing much to convince me of the tremendous upside everyone is discussing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time to put the James Jones talk to bed Poker. As much as I would love to see it, barring another catastrophic injury, it just ain't happening. I think James Jones is a more polished, more consistent and better receiver than anyone the Packers have right now not named Nelson or Cobb and I think he could be a great #3 but if you have your downfield #1 guy and your slot#2 guy you kinda want your #3 guy to be able to go downfield too. I just don't see it in Jones.

He has been my favorite Packer player for a while now but I think that ship has finally sailed for good. If you want to continue to bang the drum though and want some company I'll get in step behind you.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time to put the James Jones talk to bed Poker. As much as I would love to see it, barring another catastrophic injury, it just ain't happening. I think James Jones is a more polished, more consistent and better receiver than anyone the Packers have right now not named Nelson or Cobb and I think he could be a great #3 but if you have your downfield #1 guy and your slot#2 guy you kinda want your #3 guy to be able to go downfield too. I just don't see it in Jones.

He has been my favorite Packer player for a while now but I think that ship has finally sailed for good. If you want to continue to bang the drum though and want some company I'll get in step behind you.
He was the most effective downfield WR last year. Adams average a whopping 9 YPC last year, and I don't see any of the others really making much of splash in the deep game.

Trevor Davis seems fast enough and can track a deep ball, though he's probably not fast enough to blow by CBS and seems a bit one-dimensional. I'm not sure if we'll have an ideal lineup anytime soon.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm convinced the Packers have moved on from James Jones. He was a productive receiver and a class act off the field for many years but it's time to develop younger guys.

Staff online

Latest posts