James Jones is a Packer

do the Packers go after Jones?

• Total voters

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I started a thread talking about we receivers and well a lot of people seem to be asking the question will Jones return to Green Bay?
after being released from the Giants leading that team in receptions in the pre-season with 15 of them and a 12.5 average yards per catch, is he the answer to the Packers lack of Jordy Nelson this season? is it worth going after the old veteran? or do we give some young talent a chance?

I think we should give the young talent a chance.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's pretty unlikely, but I'd be happy to see him back for 1 year. He'd be like a #5 though, which I can't imagine is real high on his "to do" list.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I think it's pretty unlikely, but I'd be happy to see him back for 1 year. He'd be like a #5 though, which I can't imagine is real high on his "to do" list.

I did love Jones when he was on the Packers but after he left I don't have much interest in him coming back. would still be interesting to see what he could do once more with Rodgers cause his last two seasons here were pretty damn good.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As I posted in the Boykin thread, the player in place to "take Jordy's place" is Adams. The #3 WR would take Adams' spot from last season, etc. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest Jones would replace Jordy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
As I posted in the Boykin thread, the player in place to "take Jordy's place" is Adams. The #3 WR would take Adams' spot from last season, etc. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest Jones would replace Jordy.

Neither Adams nor the young talent will replace Jordy but Adams has the best chance. As Silverstein noted in today's blog, look at the Packers receiving corp after Cobb left the preseason game - it would make a lot of sense to have a veteran WR who knows the offense available in that instance. I think Silverstein wrote Jones would be the #3/#4 WR. Adams had 38 receptions for 446 yards and 3 TDs and 11.7 ypc as the #3 WR last season. In his last season with the Packers (2013) Jones had 59 for 817, 13.8 ypc and 3 TDs. The year before that he surpassed Adams’ numbers and scored 14 TDs. I'm in favor of bring him back.

so you think bringing in Jones would be a good move?

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score

Neither Adams nor the young talent will replace Jordy but Adams has the best chance. As Silverstein noted in today's blog, look at the Packers receiving corp after Cobb left the preseason game - it would make a lot of sense to have a veteran WR who knows the offense available in that instance. I think Silverstein wrote Jones would be the #3/#4 WR. Adams had 38 receptions for 446 yards and 3 TDs and 11.7 ypc as the #3 WR last season. In his last season with the Packers (2013) Jones had 59 for 817, 13.8 ypc and 3 TDs. The year before that he surpassed Adams’ numbers and scored 14 TDs. I'm in favor of bring him back.

OH and I totally forgot about Montgomery! where do you think he falls into the mix? slot receiver? as of now do you think he is the number 3? do you think Jones would take the 3 and he would fall to 4 if they bring in Jones?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Always liked Jones. Character guy, you know? I just don't think the Pack will bring him back, choosing instead to follow their draft and develop mantra. They'll now "develop" I'd guess.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Always liked Jones. Character guy, you know? I just don't think the Pack will bring him back, choosing instead to follow their draft and develop mantra. They'll now "develop" I'd guess.

I just honestly can't see TT bringing Jones back, I don't know what it is i just don't see it happening.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO a team with very serious and realistic Super Bowl aspirations can "afford" to lose the "upside" and/or progress of White for a season in favor of veteran experience. BTW, I don't disagree with Thompson's proclivities so this isn't a prediction, just what I prefer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The impression I have of James Jones is that he drops a lot of routine passes. If anyone has the numbers I'd be interested to know if that's based on reality.

Just food for thought: Reggie Wayne is also likely to be available.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Raiders didn't want to keep him and he couldn't make the Giants' roster what does that say about where JJ is at at this point in his career? The Packers will start the season with who they have and unless they really falter don't expect any "names" to be coming in.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
The impression I have of James Jones is that he drops a lot of routine passes. If anyone has the numbers I'd be interested to know if that's based on reality.

Just food for thought: Reggie Wayne is also likely to be available.

that's very good point, I forgot about how many easy balls he dropped! I would get so mad watching him play because of the amount of passes he would drop.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson may prefer to stick with youth in the receiving corp, but the reason not to sign Jones better not be because of the number of balls he dropped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Thompson may prefer to stick with youth in the receiving corp, but the reason not to sign Jones better not be because of the number of balls he dropped. Those who remember him that way are remembering him early in his career in Green Bay. Jones overcame his problem dropping easy catches.

Here’s a story from October 2012: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...nes-grabbing-attention-ii7e8s1-176703731.html

A blog entry from the same month: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/175079831.html

November 2012: Nine games without a drop. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...a-new-name-for-himself-eh7lk68-179600731.html

Through 9 games of 2013. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-of-dropped-passes-b99143278z1-232163131.html

Jones did (past tense) have a problem dropping balls. To his credit, he fixed it.

you are a fact machine and I love it! you are very helpful and I'm glad you're a part of this site. Packers4life

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not like he is as old as he is being made out to be. He is a year older than Jordy with a pretty clean injury history. White is just a guy and I would think 12 is blowing up tt's phone to get him to bring JJ back.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Its not like he is as old as he is being made out to be. He is a year older than Jordy with a pretty clean injury history. White is just a guy and I would think 12 is blowing up tt's phone to get him to bring JJ back.

I don't know if Rodgers really cares who he is throwing to, I think he is invested in the organization and trust in TT and Mike.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do they go after him or would I want them to go after him. Plain and simple I would rather see Cobb, Adams and Jones lining up in the 3 receiver sets than any combination we could put together now. I'd prefer to have more than 1 WR with more than 1 year of service. Will they, I have no idea.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Do they go after him or would I want them to go after him. Plain and simple I would rather see Cobb, Adams and Jones lining up in the 3 receiver sets than any combination we could put together now. I'd prefer to have more than 1 WR with more than 1 year of service. Will they, I have no idea.

Do you think Janis can develop in a good receiver? I mean he has the speed and the size, maybe if you throw him into the mix with the first teamers he will develop fast and be a force.
I don't disagree that it would be nice to see that line up, I am also curious to see what Janis can do with this offense.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Janis can develop in a good receiver? I mean he has the speed and the size, maybe if you throw him into the mix with the first teamers he will develop fast and be a force.
I don't disagree that it would be nice to see that line up, I am also curious to see what Janis can do with this offense.

He has the measurables to be very good. He's just kind of lacking everything else a receiver needs to be good.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
He has the measurables to be very good. He's just kind of lacking everything else a receiver needs to be good.

My only thing with Janis which was pointed out in the last pre-season game is that he is not a pure hands catcher, that would be something he has to work on, it doesn't just come natural to him like it does with some other receivers such as Nelson. I think he has the potential but he would have to work on his hands catching

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts