Jackson struggles

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Mar. 16, 2005
Chris Havel
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jackson struggles with pay inequity

Grady Jackson has my utmost respect, and my deepest sympathy.

The massive nose tackle sounded like he

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i read this article earlier...it's the last thing we need right now.

he makes valid points, but it all comes back to one thing; the contract. dont sign a contract you dont intend to fulfill. there should be some honor behind a man's signature.

im also completely tired of the "well so and so is making this much and im better than him" excuse. it holds no water, and it reminds me of a child whining...if you're unsure about something, don't sign the fu@#ing contract, period.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Thanks for saving me .50 lol i almost bought the paper yesterday for the sole reason to read that. THANK YOU!

I think he should be paid more. He is in my opinion by far the best D Line man we have.

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's too bad for Grady. I agree he is probably playing at a better leven then Hunt, but Hunt signed the contract as a FA (or a soon to be one) and Grady was picked up as a mid-season backup. Grant it, he has played better than that, but there was a reason he was cut from New Orleans, and it wasn't because he was a Pro Bowl player.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is a tough one for TT. you don't want him to hold out,but can you pay him the money he wants? Maybe,they can give him incentives for the season to make more? Hey Prez, what do you think is the answer? :bow: :-?

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think (for me) in the light of all Members/Posters here --- and no offense to anyone..... I really do not mean to slight any Member in here.. when it comes right down to it... We may have our fun once in awhile, but the bottom line for me is the Motto of our Club which "I" wrote....

"There's always room for one more Packer fan!"

Having made this grand statement -- AG & Slick (both) tend to write quite a bit, as I do... and they do usually hit the mark on whatever thread they choose to join in with... And, this time, I have to say hardly anyone else can bring both points to bear, any better than these two have just now.... (no, it's not kissin' up - do any of you ever think you might have what it takes to write sports articles... my friend Packernation does so for PackerChatters.com.. it's an interesting question, eh?)

SO -- With respect to Grady (Gravy) Jackson.... I agree with Slick - they should adjust his contract to bring it in line more closely associated with Hunt's contract. But, like AG is saying (and I outright said so awhile back with regards to McKenzie)... once a player signs a contract - they "should" remember that at the moment of signing they are setting themselves up for future disappointments.... "knowing" that the NFL contracts market will change - we all saw that with Mike McKenzie. Mikey didn't have to wait hardly two years and he was out of the new mainstream of contracts being signed..... Yet... I also think that with the realization of how the Pats have done and are doing business (and getting away with it as well) - then the rest of the Teams out there will without a doubt start doing the very same protocol and the year that McKenzie left us may well be considered the peak of the NFL Player Contract stock market line... and from now on, even though we'll be seeing higher numbers here & there... the comparison in contract dollar in previous years will be higher than it will become from now on....

Both of you strike a chord with respect to Gravy and his stepping in to take Gravedigger's place and end up doing it so well (he has earned the right to a pay raise, by doing a damn fine job, like you or I would expect, in our jobs)... like the article states - with him back in the lineup, even though he had NOT fully healed yet... we then went on to win in the second half of the season. Without him, it would have been as bad (I think) as 1999 - and that.. alone... would have sealed Sherman's fate. Agreed?

Like I was saying when I started this comment - You two have struck the chord more often than most others... But, even Chris Havel's missed one GLARING point... in his article... and that's the fact that in 2003, with both Grady & Gravy out there, sometimes in tandem... we were the Team to beat in the SuperBowl... NO ONE ELSE in the NFL, had two, I repeat TWO... Nose Tackles to work with, spell each other, and double team opponents... So far that was the best Defense Mike Sherman has ever assembled during his tenure. You would agree, I think, as well with this last thought.

In this year's Draft - I feel it is IMPERATIVE... that the Packers do everything they can to grab another truly great Nose Tackle.. somehow, some way... to not only spell Grady, but to stand beside him and give Jim Bates that edge we had two seasons ago. What would the Packers do, if Jackson's knees gave out again... Grady is a prime example of NFL Players truly being over weight.. and doomed most likely to some sort of heart problems and an untimely demise... pending he isn't smart enough to get the right medical support. I think he is an amazing NFL player.. smart, savvy, and he took to heart those tactics that Gravedigger showed him how to emply.... Gilbert Brown, in my book was a perfect example of the Lombardi type player.... He ranks right up there....!

But, if Gravy goes down - we're sunk in Brett's last Season as a Green Bay Packer - we'll be lucky to come up with an 8-8 Season.. make no mistake about it. We are short on Defense and I'd rather wait one year for the Packers to find that better QB to step in and at least try... to fill Favre's shoes... it will not be easy for anyone to do... so I already have myself set for at least one or two mediocre seasons after he leaves...

WE NEED ANOTHER NOSE TACLKLE and I'm in the middle of writing Ted Thompson a letter to that very fact. I'd rather take a D player at every turn of the Draft wheel this year... nothin but Defense... and then do it again for several picks next year... I want to see another Ray Nitschke out there on the Frozen Tundra.. mean as all get out.. ready to hurt some people on the way to OUR SuperBowl!

(Thanks for the cudo, EC)

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that was wordy - but the short short of it was I agreed with Slick more than AG!

One other thing - if all of you go back... I think you'll find a Jim Bates article that describes "HOW" he prefers smaller faster players on Defense, with one exception... and THAT's Gravy's position - he actually likes getting TWO giant behemoths in the middle to plug it up and let the smaller faster "tackle savvy" Defense "go after guys"... not wait for the Offense to come to them...

Agreed?

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. If you look at the Bears (I know, it's hard to do that and not laugh :lol: ) and their defense a few years ago, Urlacher played the best when they had Teddy Washington and Traylor up on the line in front of him. No one was running through them and Urlacher could flow to wherever was needed and make the plays.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely understand that point of view prez...i'm coming at this from more of an ethical perspective though, and often times ethical isn't realistic in the professional sports world.

Mckenzie was underpaid for his contributions to our defense, and while i didn't agree with his hold out, it was clear to most he had gotten a raw deal. the fact that green bay wasn't willing to negotiate seemed unreasonable and stubborn to me.

I don't feel Grady is grossly underpaid in terms of market value, more in terms of comparitive teammate value at his position. so the question is; If they wouldn't budge during mckenzie's holdout, then why would they budge during Grady's,?

p.s. Grabthar-that is a great signature.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mac's gripe was not about his contract,it wasn't reworked when he went to NO. His gripe was with Sherman. So I don't know if that a good comparison with Grady.

Grady has a valid point, but as a man I believe he should honor his contract. Green Bay does not have to rework anything but I believe they should be willing to consider adding some kind of incentives. If they work together they should be able to come up with something. At least it would show the GB cares about it's players. Don't just ignore it like they did with Mac.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Mac's gripe was not about his contract,it wasn't reworked when he went to NO. His gripe was with Sherman. So I don't know if that a good comparison with Grady.

really? i thought his contract was the main reason behind his holdout.

espn.com said:
McKenzie, the team's starting left cornerback since 1999, became upset this offseason when several cornerbacks of lesser talent surpassed him in compensation. McKenzie is entering the third season of a five-year, $17.1 million contract he signed in January 2002.

isn't that primarily the reason behind every holdout?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
PackerTraxx said:

really? i thought his contract was the main reason behind his holdout.

espn.com said:
McKenzie, the team's starting left cornerback since 1999, became upset this offseason when several cornerbacks of lesser talent surpassed him in compensation. McKenzie is entering the third season of a five-year, $17.1 million contract he signed in January 2002.

isn't that primarily the reason behind every holdout?

MM was mainly peeved about his contract which peeved him off about how lame duck Sherman was and is and the lack of improvement on the defense also upset him. It was mainly his contract.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McKenzie's issues were numerous.... and the fact that his contract was old hat in only two years based against others in the game(?) - Well, I guess that's business. There is absolutely NO WAY that "anyone" could have forseen the direction the market took... No one thought that his Contract was all that bad in '99. At the time, everyone thought it was a win-win situation. Everyone!!!

Aside from that glaring reality - McKenzie did feel that a certain Coach should have been promoted - I think it was over Lionel Washington, if I'm not mistaken. And THAT issue is what boiled over into the bigger mess we all saw - He just used the contract thing for leverage. It's hard to say now... but had the Packers promoted Lionel.. he may have just shushed up and kept playing for the Packers.. Like I say - who knows!!!

In certain aspects - one might say these scenarios are similar - I don't think they are. 1) Grady has no plans on playing anywhere else - The Packers rejuvenated his career, period! 2) With his health record - who else would he play for? Who would take him? 3) His knees are just about gone - him playing totally healthy all year without missing a beat this 2005 season is a true stretch of the imagination.... 4) If we don't find a suitable stand-in... the Packers D "will disintegrate!"

If I'm bustin' my butt at the Office - and some other Worker on the crew ends up with the brand new laptop for a job well done - I'm gonna make a stink and my Super's Boss will see my face in front of his lunch till something was corrected. One way or another - that Office pet will end up with sweat on his brow over his job, or else - I'm not carryin' his ***.

I say, give the ol' boy a 1mil bonus on top of his current pay structure and then find a backup right away.... keep him happy... and let's win some football games!

What's one million dollars compared to some of the signings they have done in the last four years? It's pocket change, guys... be real about it!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could not find anywhere on the Saints sight that his contract has been reworked. Therefore I gotta believe he was mostly upset with Sherman. Although, as was mentioned, he did have several issues ,not only with the Packers but with his agents as well. Anyway he's gone. Let's hope we have an outstanding draft. :D

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair to Mike McKenzie - the Saints are impressed with his work ethic and gratified that his play has not diminished in any way... the sad part is the Saints have a horrible record in the NFL... and probably will until their Ownership decides to take the proper steps to upgrade their Mgmt Structure and then their Coaching Staff --- in that order! I call the Saints the Eastern-Black-Hole!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
yeah i read this article earlier...it's the last thing we need right now.

he makes valid points, but it all comes back to one thing; the contract. dont sign a contract you dont intend to fulfill. there should be some honor behind a man's signature.

im also completely tired of the "well so and so is making this much and im better than him" excuse. it holds no water, and it reminds me of a child whining...if you're unsure about something, don't sign the fu@#ing contract, period.

I totally agree. I'm thankful and respect what Grady has done for the Packers, but he signed a contract. When the overpaid players like Joe Johnson and Jamal Reynolds return money they didn't earn, then I'll pay the underpayed players like Grady. It works both ways Grady. Plus, he should be thankful the Packers gave him a chance when not many other teams were going to offer him a chance after the Saints cut him with his bad reputation he had at the time.

Plus, Grady is very close to becoming another Gilbert Brown where injuries could slow him down in his later years. I can't see spending big money on a player at his age and weight who could be injury prone. We need to develop some depth at that position, because I'm not sure Grady can stay healthy enough to stay on the field regardless of his contract situation.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Plus, Grady is very close to becoming another Gilbert Brown where injuries could slow him down in his later years. I can't see spending big money on a player at his age and weight who could be injury prone. We need to develop some depth at that position, because I'm not sure Grady can stay healthy enough to stay on the field regardless of his contract situation.
This would be TT baseline thinking IMHO... There's just no way around it!
Did you hear - someone at Fanfest asked Sherman if he had talked to Gravedigger about coming back.... Mikey blew him off!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts