Jace Sternberger

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
After this I am done explaining our TEs. Dafney is the ONLY TE on the roster equipped to be or serve in the Dequara role. Sternberger is worthless in that role, shoot Tonyan is nearly worthless in it too.

Deguara out solely benefits Dafney.
I get what you are saying. Different styles of TEs. Appears it doesn't matter. Sternberger is unemployed at the moment.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Jace is so unexceptional, why did Gute waste a 3rd round pick on him? I agree he has shown very little and is a classic bust, but he must've had some talent. I hope he gets back on the practice squad to get one more chance. It's a sore spot to give up on a high draft pick.

He made plays in college against lesser competition (i.e. compared to the NFL) that just did not translate.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In college he was named as a semi finalists for the nation's top TE. He was first team SEC and a first team consensus All-American. He tied his schools TD record for a TE as well. I remember him being compared to Gronk when he was coming out of college. There was a lot to like about him. That's what Gute saw in him and they were also looking for a TE at the time. He does have yet to prove that he does anything exceptional in the NFL, but his college career speaks for itself. The emergence of Tonyan has been nice and also shows that maybe we give Sternberger a little more time to develop.

With Deguara out, and looking awfully injury prone, I bet he suits up and we deactivate a WR. I don't think Deguara will be ready this week and should free up a spot to give Sternberger a chance. No reason to have 7 WRs on the active roster anyway.

If Sternberger apologists are having to go back to his college career in order to support him, that kind of proves my point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I bet Dallas swings at him.

Saints possibly too. Bottom line, he was the 5th and maybe 6th (behind Bronson Kaufusi) best TE on the Packers and they didn't see a big enough future in GB for him not to expose him to the waiver wire.

I think some of us over value our own guys. Perhaps due to where they were selected in the draft and/or just our familiarity with them.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
If Sternberger apologists are having to go back to his college career in order to support him, that kind of proves my point.
Oh, I don’t care that he got cut. Someone just mentioned that they wonder what Gute saw. Is what it is. He isn’t the first & wont be the last cut.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was happy when they picked him, but for two years plus a training camps he did nothing and showed nothing. Time to move on.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We evaluate coaches and players based on outcomes, why do fans give GMs the benefit of the doubt?

I’m not and in grading overall draft picks Jace for sure goes in the missed category, but anyone pretending in hindsight now with the present knowledge that picking him in the third was dumb or made no sense is just playing dumb IMO

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what he does at Seattle. Seems like a good spot for him to land. That would give his draft grade a different look.

D

Deleted member 6794

We evaluate coaches and players based on outcomes, why do fans give GMs the benefit of the doubt?

I don't believe anyone is giving the general manager the benefit of the doubt. In hindsight the selection of Sternberger in the third round should be considered a mistake. I understand the reasoning behind the decision at the point it was made though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what he does at Seattle. Seems like a good spot for him to land. That would give his draft grade a different look.

Really wouldn't change much, at least for me. His final draft grade as a Packer was a D- for me.

As a matter of fact, a draft bust for the Packers somehow becoming a good player elsewhere, might raise a few questions within the Packer organization. First, maybe the Packers didn't utilize the Player well enough? Second, maybe the positional coach for that particular player should be reevaluated? Of course there is always the case where a player just finally blossoms in a new atmosphere, and scheme, has weaker competition to compete for snaps and/or stays injury free.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've had this talk, as long as you disclose are you talking about the NFL player as a whole for grading or just the initial drafted team - either approach is 100% valid.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really wouldn't change much, at least for me. His final draft grade as a Packer was a D- for me.

As a matter of fact, a draft bust for the Packers somehow becoming a good player elsewhere, might raise a few questions within the Packer organization. First, maybe the Packers didn't utilize the Player well enough? Second, maybe the positional coach for that particular player should be reevaluated? Of course there is always the case where a player just finally blossoms in a new atmosphere, and scheme, has weaker competition to compete for snaps and/or stays injury free.
It would not change anything...I agree. But if he turns out to be a player, besides all those things you brought up, it would mean he deserved to be picked at that spot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It would not change anything...I agree. But if he turns out to be a player, besides all those things you brought up, it would mean he deserved to be picked at that spot.
The difference between you and I, is that you are viewing it from a players point of view, I am viewing it from the Packers point of view. Again, I don't think him playing well elsewhere suddenly makes it a successful pick for the Packers. The moment he was cut by the Packers, he was a busted pick for the Packers. I understand why they drafted him, but just like many players before Sternberger, he contributed very little, especially considering he was the 75th player selected in the draft.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference between you and I, is that you are viewing it from a players point of view, I am viewing it from the Packers point of view. Again, I don't think him playing well elsewhere suddenly makes it a successful pick for the Packers. The moment he was cut by the Packers, he was a busted pick for the Packers. I understand why they drafted him, but just like many players before Sternberger, he contributed very little, especially considering he was the 75th player selected in the draft.
I'm viewing it from the Packer's scouts side. They would have made a good pick. Also Gute. We'll see if he does well. Would not surprise me either way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We've had this talk, as long as you disclose are you talking about the NFL player as a whole for grading or just the initial drafted team - either approach is 100% valid.
Agreed, but people trying to grade a "Player as a whole" that has just been cut by the Packers is silly. That kind of grade comes much later, perhaps when that player is nearing the end of their career. Meanwhile, unless somehow Sternberger makes his way back to being a Packer, I am comfortable saying that he was a bust for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm viewing it from the Packer's scouts side. They would have made a good pick. Also Gute. We'll see if he does well. Would not surprise me either way.
How was it a good pick for Packer scouts or Gute? Sternberger cost the Packers the 75th pick in the draft and contributed very little. Explain how him having success elsewhere somehow vindicates the Packers scouts.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How was it a good pick for Packer scouts or Gute? Sternberger cost the Packers the 75th pick in the draft and contributed very little. Explain how him having success elsewhere somehow vindicates the Packers scouts.

I'll take this on, with the caveat that I agree w/tynimiller that either position is totally reasonable. The scouts' job is to identify and promote players that they believe can succeed in the NFL as a whole, and in the Packers' systems specifically. If those scouts do their job, players arrive who could grow and thrive on the Packers. If the development or use of those players is stunted by inadequate coaching or usage, then those players don't become who we want, and in some cases may develop or thrive elsewhere. For instance, I believe that the ascent of Hayward and Hyde elsewhere indicates there were deficiencies with the Joe Whitt/Dom Capers axis of coaching and development, which may be borne out by the fact that HHCD, Josh Jones, and Damarious Randall have all had DB careers after their departure from the Packers.

Not saying this is an absolute or a black-and-white answer in any case -- but hopefully it might illustrate how the acquisition of players in the draft could be considered successful, and the responsibility for them washing out in GB could lie instead at the feet of a coaching staff/coordinator.

Members online

Latest posts