Jace Sternberger

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey CW,
Mentioned those # of att after studying how LaFleur called games as OC w TEN.

We are going to run a F ton. Completely the opposite of the paltry numbers we’ve been used to.

Also studied how they ran. First 8 games they used TEs as Hbacks to lead block. Derrick Henry had just 3.3 ypc weeks 1-8. TEN then signed a true FB, and Henry’s ypc increased to 8+ over their last 8 games.

FB is essential to LaFleur’s O. Also, they had multiple games where their RBs had 50+ carries collectively last season w LaFleur as their play caller, if I remember correctly.

Regardless, a heightened emphasis on running the rock is welcome news to me. It will keep AR healthier, our OL should perform better teeing off in run blocking, rather than absorbing energy from opponents in pass blocking, will keep the clock running, and wear opposing front 7s down, while keeping high powered opposing Os on the sidelines.

I can dig that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I think MLF may call a few more running plays than MM did, I think this idea of the Packers becoming a running team is being blown out of proportion. MLF and the Titans averaged 8 more rushing plays/game than the Packers did last season. That number can be influenced by a lot of things, personnel as well as how often was your team behind and needing to pass the ball to catch up? How often was your team milking the clock and running the ball? The Titans had the better record (9-7) VS (6-9-1), so I am going to guess that they were in game situations more often, that it was advantageous to run.

Finally, when you have #12 at QB, running the ball too much seems to be counter productive to the use of your best weapon.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numbers are skewed a bit, as I was counting RB att only. Aaron nearly added 5 carries per game to our team totals.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Numbers are skewed a bit, as I was counting RB att only. Aaron nearly added 5 carries per game to our team totals.

You are right, but skewed the other way. Rodgers and Kizer ran the ball 48 times (3/game). In Comparison Mariota and Gabbert ran it 70 times (3.89/game).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan ran like a 4.58 at his pro day, he's our burner at TE.
I hope he's learned the little things in this offense because I think he has the potential to really be something for this team. Something has been keeping him off the field and it's not his physical attributes or how he catches the ball. I want to see him have more opportunities this year, a lot more.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he's learned the little things in this offense because I think he has the potential to really be something for this team. Something has been keeping him off the field and it's not his physical attributes or how he catches the ball. I want to see him have more opportunities this year, a lot more.

I watched him quite a bit in Winnipeg (went there with my Dad) and he steamrolled a linebacker on one play - we both nearly jumped out of our seats. He stood out to me, but Boyle and Kizer were just not getting him the ball. Same with Kumerow. That guy was open almost EVERY play.

Side note about Kizer the last game. The Pack were unfortunately clearly trying to run out the clock in the 4th. I wouldn't place a lot of emphasis on his performance as a result. This 4th preseason game will make his career with the Pack.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched him quite a bit in Winnipeg (went there with my Dad) and he steamrolled a linebacker on one play - we both nearly jumped out of our seats. He stood out to me, but Boyle and Kizer were just not getting him the ball. Same with Kumerow. That guy was open almost EVERY play.

Side note about Kizer the last game. The Pack were unfortunately clearly trying to run out the clock in the 4th. I wouldn't place a lot of emphasis on his performance as a result. This 4th preseason game will make his career with the Pack.
Good to hear about Tonyan, and how cool to get to see the Pack up north from the up north :)

And I do think Kizer is still the in the lead for #2 on this team, though I haven't been particularly impressed by either to this point.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to hear about Tonyan, and how cool to get to see the Pack up north from the up north :)

And I do think Kizer is still the in the lead for #2 on this team, though I haven't been particularly impressed by either to this point.

Ya, seeing the bubble guys fighting for roster spots was pretty neat. I can't see the team parting with Kizer either unless say a team like the Colts trades them a draft pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hey CW,
Mentioned those # of att after studying how LaFleur called games as OC w TEN.

We are going to run a F ton. Completely the opposite of the paltry numbers we’ve been used to.

FB is essential to LaFleur’s O. Also, they had multiple games where their RBs had 50+ carries collectively last season w LaFleur as their play caller, if I remember correctly.

Regardless, a heightened emphasis on running the rock is welcome news to me. It will keep AR healthier, our OL should perform better teeing off in run blocking, rather than absorbing energy from opponents in pass blocking, will keep the clock running, and wear opposing front 7s down, while keeping high powered opposing Os on the sidelines.

I fully expect the Packers to run the ball more often this season but there's absolutely no doubt the offense will be predominantly centered around Rodgers throwing the ball.

BTW the Titans never run the ball at least 50 times a game last season. Their season high was 45 attempts vs. the Giants, with that game being the only one with more than 36 rushes.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just going off the top of my head... Sorry for any confusion. The bigger point is how much the Packers will really run under LaFleur, and I believe it will be more than some might expect. No big thing.

We simply have needed a fully balanced attack with run & pass for years, and that never, never, never happened. Aaron Rodgers has stated that he likes to be coached. I think LaFleur will guide him through the remainder of this career in GB by protecting him with an insistence on a healthy dose of running plays.

Makes perfect sense. Keeps opposing front 7s playing honest, rather than pinning their ears back full on in pass rush. More rushes will open up play action, something that really didn't work for Rodgers under McCarthy.... gee, I wonder why? Now, I think we will see the impact of a blocking TE keeping Mercedes Lewis around, and Jace should learn a lot from him this season.

Sternberger and the rest of the TEs will benefit greatly with a heightened emphasis on the run, releasing as receivers off the line on run fakes. There is no "fake" if you never run. I think LaFleur's scheme and leadership in this area will pay big dividends. LaFleur gets it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jace Sternberger has been placed on IR :(

Seen walking around with a boot on his left foot.

Roster moves coming.

EDIT: Lazard promoted to the 53.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he was carted off the field and not just walking to the locker room I figured it was more than a sprain. Well now Evan Baylis can start his magic run. He's only accrued 1 season but he's been around since 2016. He's Kumerow in TE form except he came from a major program. Let's hope his blocking is refined for this level.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
looked terrible, made 2-3 plays, and I didn't notice him as being on or off the field for 98% of the time he's been here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
that's about where i'm at, forgot he was even on the roster.
Yup and it seems like every year we have guys like this, decent draft investment and little return.
  • Josh Jackson
  • Oren Burks
  • Ja'mon Moore
  • Josh Jones
  • Jarel Worthy
I'm sure every team has these guys, players that fans are expecting or hopeful of a breakout year. Truth be told, I'm guessing most of the coaches already know that some of them by their 2nd or 3rd year are longshots to do much.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad part about all of those listed is that they were day 2 (or high day 3) picks, at a position needing an influx of talent and playing time was just waiting for them ... and they never seized the opportunity.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing him get a shot. I think he is a big target, can get open and will show he has good hands. Whether or not he can take the big hit is a question in my mind. But that is not a reason to be down on him right now imho.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sad part about all of those listed is that they were day 2 (or high day 3) picks, at a position needing an influx of talent and playing time was just waiting for them ... and they never seized the opportunity.

Agreed. The semi-silver lining, so far none of these guys went on to thrive with another team. Would be fun to read an actual coaches evaluation and notes on a player like Jarel Worthy. I mean how does he become a 2nd round pick and then just a complete flop in the NFL?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I look forward to seeing him get a shot. I think he is a big target, can get open and will show he has good hands. Whether or not he can take the big hit is a question in my mind. But that is not a reason to be down on him right now imho.

I don't think there is any doubt that Packers fans WANT Sternberger to become a stud TE, but to date, he has done very little to invoke any confidence that it will happen. He is probably going to be hard pressed to even get on the field to prove himself. What is he, about 4th on the depth chart now or maybe 3rd ahead of Deguara?

Staff online

Members online