Is Tom Rossley going to be given play-calling duties again?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Sherman continues to take this duty for the start of the season. I just can't believe that Rossley is still on the Packers staff. If I have to watch him call run, run, pass, punt too many more times no matter what the down and distance, I think I'll scream :!: :!: :!:

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rossley isn't calling the plays he will be up in the booth advising Sherman.

That's just as bad!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you all the way. Why he didn't get canned blows me away. When MS took over the playcalling the team moved the ball and was way less predictable. I hope MS continues the play calling, especially since his butt will be on the line this year.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For once - Steel and I agree completely on a subject..... What's more, I bet I don't like Rossley a whole lot more than he really cares to bother with.... After the AZ game - I was ready to break all of his golf clubs ala Tin Cup --- then he pulls that ***** MNF game where we got so clobbered the fans were leaving Lambeau Field before the game was even into the 4th quarter - THAT is a strong NO-NO on the Frozen Tundra my friends.... Next, we see him hand the game back to the Fleagles when McNabb couldn't even finish the game himself... The guy's toast in my book - I don't really care what the Holmgren Offense gave him for record book stats, either! He can go flip burgers at White Castle!

I'll say this - after the Detroit game last year - things did get better, but then almost went bankrupt in the final Vikings game - where Rossley was stickin his nose in there again - and finally I think the Team just gave up in the Playoff game, with the easily read game plan being run - which is a Rossley trademark.

Since this year Sherman doesn't have to worry about GM duties, he should be focusing heavily on the Offense and the play calls with Favre on the sidelines... a place where Rossley fears to tread! I'm thinkin about writin Sherman a letter to that fact, already!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman is cutting his own throat by keeping Rossley - I hope. It has really cost the Packers to have such a wothless O-coordinator. I believe this is a large part of our playoff problem. Favre, Green and Breightol saves their butts.
:puke:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Packertraxx..i couldn't have said it better myself.....

only now I will probably be attacked for supporting your view of Sherman..

i would be willing to bet that you see the same Rossley crap this year...and it's going to hurt the Pack...what is it going to take people, to be free of this bane to our existence?

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers had to have learned something from last years issues...
They can't be blind. The turn-around was pretty obvious when Mike and Brett took over...

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will be upstairs and he will advise MS. Do I want him on the team? not really but if he helps MS and the offense during the practice week and MS calls the plays with input from a QB with 15 yr experience they should get it right more times than not.

Something else to keep in mind is IF the defense does a better job of holding (no pun intended) the opposition to few yards then the offense won't have to go as far this year as they have had to go in the past. Thus they won't need as many long drives and big plays just to get into scoring position.

ameuret

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is crazy that he is even around yet. Sherman did such a good job last year and that was even when he was trying to jugle being the GM and the head coach. now that he is only one mabey he would do even better.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Want to mention a couple of things here - for P@ck66 and Ameuret, as well as others...

One - I won't badger P@ck for his support against Rossley - never will.
Two - Rossley and Sherman have always been "golfing buddies"...
(What's that make ya think of.. in your Office?)

Three - the real issue with relation to the Team and the Coaching Staff...

Sherman, since his takeover as HC up until last year's Detroit game (Rossley's health problems caused that, remember it) - Sherman had never truly bothered to be a partner so-to-speak with Brett Favre - unsure to think that part of that might have been the opinion of Tom Rossley in Sherman's ear on the Golf course, or not - but it went the way we've all seen. Without the cohesive nature of Coach to Player that Holmgren gave Brett during his stay... well the Whole Team seems to have suffered. Maybe Mike Sherman was tooo literal with how the hierarchy of Coaching the Players works.... after all he was only a TE Coach up until....right? Somehting like that, anyway.....

Once Sherman didn't have Rossley in his ear (in Detroit) ...something came to light - and we all saw the end result - as did "Da Mooch" - much to his chagrin! I am quite sure that game left a bitter taste in Mariucci's mouth.

I still say - IF Sherman gets an extension - then Rossley leaving must be part of the deal -them two can play golf in the off-season. It won't hurt that much! Rossley was as good an OC as he tells people - then he could have proven it with New Orleans...right?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought finally...at last...the canning Rossley talk had died. Like a poisonous Phoenix, up it upchucks again.

The Packers finished third in the NFL last year in total offense. Third. Ahead of the Vikings, etc. So I suppose if Rossley was gone they would have finished first? How utterly backward. How much does Rossley/Sherman have to do for the 'fans' to finally say the problem is on the other side of the ball and parts of the special teams?

swartzcatz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Rossley is he doesn't have an agressive bone in his body. How many time have we wondered why he called a consevative play that was so generic the opposing team knew exactly what the Pack was going to do..and it failed! Dump da bum!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Rossley is one of the best game planners in the NFL. He does not appear to have the knack for calling plays that Mike Sherman does, but he is an excellent OC who probably should not be calling plays.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when the aggressive playcalling leads to interceptions then he's a dope for calling that play?

Sorry...doesn't wash. The offense is fine. I wouldn't care if they ran the single-wing if it worked.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Net,
there is also a little something called calling the right play in the right situation in a big game...and Rosseley and Sherman both suck at this!

they've proven it over and over and over again...

the game in Philly is their crowning achievement of "boneheadedness"...but there are many other examples as well....

the Jets got wise and fired Paul Hackett for the same reasons, yet Sherman must have his albatross....

i have to give it to him though...he is a consistent *******....

(Slowik, Shottenheimer, Rossley...they will finally bring him down in the end....he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys that are drinking the kool-aid that Rossley is a golden god of some sort - need to remember Rossley also called that Arizona debacle - without Sherman getting in the way hardly at all.... THAT WAS NOT Donatell's fault we lost that game against one of "the" worst Teams in the League at that time.... Sure, you could blame some of it on the heat... but not much - we had a pretty deep bench all around at that time... It was only the second game of the season. And, what about that MNF game where they set new records on number of points scored by the opposing team? Every one else BUT Rossley is supposed to take the heat on that? I don't think so!

Rossley's claim to fame IMHO... is he had the Mike Holmgren Offense to work with.
Sure, a few of the guys were gone but they were replaced with Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera..etc. Ross Verba wasn't in the way any longer.... Quite a few of the Offensive Line guys were still around - it was the Defense that was running on half speed and a damn fine DC was holding the damn thing together like nobody's business.

You trade chairs with the quality of lines Donatell and Rossley had to work with...????
You betcha "everybody" would have been caling for Rossley's head after the first four game losing streak... because it woudn't have been just four games... As it was People were screamin' at Donatell - but we knew it wasn't him - it was petulant little college boys like McKenzie who were trying to re-create another Ray Rhodes scenario in the Locker Room - aimed at Mike Sherman. I'm surprised the Packers were able to keep so much of it off the tabloids. Sorry - guys - but with my connections, doing what I do - I hear stuff.... and just take my word for it... At the end of last Season and on into the off-season, when the Tim Couch trip was running it's course - I was told that Sharper was on the block for THAT trade-going to Cleveland! So, that gives you an inkling of what usually can be kept away from the Press.... and the rest of us.

Rossley may have been able to politically gain the OC chair - and that's fine - I always wish people success in their careers... wouldn't matter who it was. But Rossley is no Sherm Lewis.. by any stretch of the imagination. If he was then we'd see a chess playing caliber OC out there.. and not a checkers player....

Swartzcatz is right - he's got no hootspa and no imagination, no courage to take a dare or a gamble - I doubt he could bluff any of us with any poker game at any time. He couldn't fool his own mother... let alone the Chicago Bears.. or if you will... The Arizona Cardinals! HE "proved" that....!

When the man makes a liar out of me - I'll outright admit. That hasn't happened yet - Mike Sherman proved who knows how to make play calls out there - Detroit was NO fluke, Mr. Net - whatsoever!

I'd like to have been a fly on the locker room wall when they found out Rossley wasn't makin' the trip..... You don't think that after the AZ game, and Brett deciding that Rossley needed a little talkin' to... was just for show, do you? I don't! Hardly at all.... It was very very necessary.

I cannot prove it, but ever since Rossley came aboard - his behavior with calling the plays has merited itself like a Man possessed with putting someone "in his place" - and I think it was AIMED at Brett Favre... Why? I have no idea - I certainly don't think the Team was deserving in such a tactic - do you? But, yet, there it was - Brett gettin' his hands tied over and over - when we could all see a TE pass play was called for - or running the old "two Batman plays and... oh, guess we gotta pass now" nonsense was so readable - even Brett looked like he'd rather watch from the Locker Room.... Any of you remember seein' Brett just throw up his hands, near the end, during that Eagles game where ROSSLEY ADMITTED it was his fault on that pass play call? As far as I'm concerned - he cost us the game and that chance to go up against the Patriots! But, since the fix was in... they threw Donatell out the door, instead - when Donatell should have never had to worry about holdin' the line - what was there, two minutes left in the whole game? All we had to do was maintain possession and get one more first down - oh, you shoulda heard the entire fan club scream at the big screen when that pass play was called.... it was damn near a riot - if we'd have been in the same room with Rossley... I don't think he would have survived what some of the Members wanted to do to him.... you HAD to have been there...

Donatell worked miracles with half the manpower that Rossley had...
And got his backside handed to him - Sherman's biggest mistake to date...
Sherman ate crow this last year over it, too - didn't he? DONATELL went on... to the NFC title match...

I'd be very careful about where you point out that some people cannot prove Rossley deserves.... a higher critique level - I think I've just done it quite well. As have others.....

Like I said before - I don't drink the kool-aid....ever! If you want to make a stand about any position on the Packers,....fine! But everyone here is allowed to have an opinion - that's what this Forum is about.... PROVE to us that Rossley is the greatest OC ever... with his deeds.. not just throw ridicule at others who are making valid points.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other boards we talked this stuff to death.

I don't think Rossley is the greatest OC in history. But I simply can't fault a guy for helping produce an offense like the Packers.

You can say it's the players, etc. but he puts the game plan together and the team is the 4th winningest in the league over the last five years. That is in combination with a defense that truly sucked the last few years. Imagine if the Packers had Jim Bates the last two years on defense.

You can nit-pick until your nose bleeds, but there are really many more things pressing than Rossley's fate.

These two things I know for sure:

1)He is going to be OC this season.
2)The Packers offense is going to be be better than average.

Is it possible to move on?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Rossley's game planning but his playcalling seems to be predictable at times which leads to 40-50 yard drives which eventually stall and produce no points. I'd like to see MS call the plays for the whole year and see what the O would do with a Rossley game plan and MS' creative playcalling. That would be scary (for opposing defenses that is).

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IT doesn't matter WHO calls the plays if the players don't excute. THAT is the bottom line.

Like NET, I also agree that Rossley is NOT the BEST but lets quit villifying the guy.

He called BAD games before and he's called GOOD games before. WE really don't know the reason why Sherman took over the play calling for a few games last year... There could be SOOOO many reasons. I know Roosley called some bad ones there but, may be Ropssley was having some problems... WHO KNOWS?

Anyway, since we all know that Rossley is going to call some GOOD games and some bad games, let's see if his play calling has improved this year...

Members online

Latest posts