Is this the worst draft in this decade for the Packers?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I rarely post anymore because for some reason this site refuses to work on my computer. Gute and MLF, this is over their heads. We are Fked. No way a team with an owner picks the way we have the last 2 years. We are the laughing stock of the draft and since we don't have an owner these clowns will be here 4 years longer than they should be just like MM. If I'm AR I'm telling my agent get me out of this train wreck. Wonder what our two DE FA from last year are thinking? Kenny Clark? We could have drafted ANY position except QB and we would all understand. Then follow that up with a RB in the 2nd? unfing believable.

What does it do(or doesnt do) on your computer?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We weren't an F draft nor were we a B-. For me I'd say C-. If Kamal Martin works out that's an A pick deep in the draft, as well as Runyan. The top of the draft was C- or worse all the way through what we drafted in Round 4...which is an absolute F

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with all those who have expressed the idea that evaluating a draft class within hours of its conclusion is premature. Silly, in fact. Just my opinion.

As I recall, some Packer fans were furious with Ted Thompson for selecting Aaron Rodgers in the first round while a perfectly viable future first ballot HOF quarterback was on the roster. In hindsight, most would conclude it was the best draft pick of his tenure in Green Bay.

Whether that proves to be true or not for Gute is yet to be determined....Although I am sure some already think they know, and no one is going to talk them out of it.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with all those who have expressed the idea that evaluating a draft class within hours of its conclusion is premature.

Imo, it's pointless to evaluate a draft class on it's own without considering team impact. And the AR12 parallels is just nonsense. AR12 being a hyped #1 pick getting to us was a miracle, which is not the case here.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Do the people making these grades have a track history of being accurate or even close 2-3 years later? Or do they just follow the crowd for clicks. All three teams that got an F also got a B. All the teams that got a D also got an A.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Do the people making these grades have a track history of being accurate or even close 2-3 years later? Or do they just follow the crowd for clicks. All three teams that got an F also got a B. All the teams that got a D also got an A.

Much like Mock Drafts, these are the same people making "Mock Draft Grades", days after the draft. Trying to project out into the future as to how they think a draft class will turn out. Obviously, nobody has a crystal ball and I am pretty sure that if you charted every Mock draft grade given out in the history of the draft, they would be about as random in accuracy as these guys Mock Drafts. Some people might do it a bit better than others and they become the next "draft guru".

Just like a lot of things in this world, people have fun forecasting and pontificating over something they had no real active role in.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just like a lot of things in this world, people have fun forecasting and pontificating over something they had no real active role in.
Definition of media these days. "I'll tell you the facts based on my own biases." And most people denigrate astrologers, psychics, and prophets. Call it news and get paid. At least weather forecasters use a model based on historical events for their short term guesses.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going into this draft, the goal is to do whatever it takes to close the large gap between the Packers and the 49ers, and it is large.
This draft was done like the 49ers do not exist.
Rd1- could have had Tee Higgins WR- Clemson-1167 yards and 14 TD's
or Michael Pittman, USC 1275 yards and 11 TD's
Rd2- could have been Zack Baun, Wisconsin- to replace martinez

The Packers are not better than last year and did not close the gap to catch the 49ers.

Bad Draft!!!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, it's pointless to evaluate a draft class on it's own without considering team impact. And the AR12 parallels is just nonsense. AR12 being a hyped #1 pick getting to us was a miracle, which is not the case here.

I'm not saying they are exactly the same thing. I will say, however, that if Love goes on to have a solid career for the Packers, it will have turned out to be a worthy pick. By the same token, if he turns out to be Brian Brohm, it will have been a wasted pick. Only time will tell.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Going into this draft, the goal is to do whatever it takes to close the large gap between the Packers and the 49ers, and it is large.
This draft was done like the 49ers do not exist.
Rd1- could have had Tee Higgins WR- Clemson-1167 yards and 14 TD's
or Michael Pittman, USC 1275 yards and 11 TD's
Rd2- could have been Zack Baun, Wisconsin- to replace martinez

The Packers are not better than last year and did not close the gap to catch the 49ers.

Bad Draft!!!

Personally, I think its a bad idea to draft around beating one team, in this case the 49'ers. Seems like a good way to end up just chasing your tail.

If anything, the 49'ers woke the Packers up to what they should be doing more of on offense and that is just pounding the rock and throwing periodically when they have you leaning in to stop the run.

This is beginning to feel more like a draft to begin completely retooling the offense into what MLF wants it to be (less dependent on #12's arm). Year #1, Fix Defense. Year 2, Inject new pieces into offense for eventual change.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D+

Deepest WR class in years, Packers drafted none. Three backups with their first 3 picks. Didn't draft any potential cornerbacks for 2021 when Kevin King will be leaving. Only reason it's not an F is because they didn't draft a kicker in the first two rounds.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I told everyone last year this would be the year our new head coach would be getting players he wants to make his offense go after last was his year to learn what he had on the team already and what he needed to replace or get

:)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like Mock Drafts, these are the same people making "Mock Draft Grades", days after the draft. Trying to project out into the future as to how they think a draft class will turn out. Obviously, nobody has a crystal ball and I am pretty sure that if you charted every Mock draft grade given out in the history of the draft, they would be about as random in accuracy as these guys Mock Drafts. Some people might do it a bit better than others and they become the next "draft guru".

The people that write the mock drafts often also give out the grades - And if the actual team draft doesn't match their mock, that team gets a bad grade. After all, the mock can't be wrong, must be the team that got it wrong...:p

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rotoworld.com gave the Packer draft an F. Sounds right.

I don't know of anyone not employed by the Packers who thought this was a good draft.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you touting the "fact" that the Packers haven't prioritized WR in the Rodgers era, that's not exactly true. While they never spent a first round pick on it, TT drafted wideouts higher in the draft than Mike Sherman or Ron Wolf on average.

Average Round of WRs Taken
4.5 - Thompson
5.0 - Mike Sherman
5.1 - Ron Wolf

Percentage of Draft Picks that were WRs
19% - Ron Wolf
15% - Ted Thompson
14% - Mike Sherman

From the above, Ron Wolf drafted wideouts more often but in lower rounds. Old Teddy was consistently wiffing on his defensive picks, so he spent more picks on defense but selected WRs in higher rounds. Both general managers selected 18 wideouts, but Ron Wolf did it over 10 seasons and Ted Thompson over 13 seasons.

Wolf also never spent a 1st round pick on a WR. Only twice did he attempt in the 2nd round, with Derrick Mayes and Robert Ferguson. He had better success in the 3rd round with Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman, but again those were the only two picks in the third. Wolf drafted only four receivers in the top 3 rounds. His only late round success was in Bill Shroeder and Donald Driver.

Thompson spent five 2nd round picks on WRs: Terrence Murphy, Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, and Davante. He only used two picks in the 3rd round selecting James Jones and Ty Montgomery. All of TT's late round wideout picks were busts...unless you're still on the Jeff Janis bandwagon!

In summary, Wolf only provided Favre with 4 wideouts from the first three rounds but he did have a little luck in the later rounds. Thompson has provided Rodgers with 7 wideouts from the first three rounds, with at least 5 of the 7 becoming stars.

** This info came from my spreadsheet tracking Packers drafts back to the 1950s. It all came from public data so feel free to verify the facts.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For those of you touting the "fact" that the Packers haven't prioritized WR in the Rodgers era, that's not exactly true. While they never spent a first round pick on it, TT drafted wideouts higher in the draft than Mike Sherman or Ron Wolf on average.

Average Round of WRs Taken
4.5 - Thompson
5.0 - Mike Sherman
5.1 - Ron Wolf

Percentage of Draft Picks that were WRs
19% - Ron Wolf
15% - Ted Thompson
14% - Mike Sherman

From the above, Ron Wolf drafted wideouts more often but in lower rounds. Old Teddy was consistently wiffing on his defensive picks, so he spent more picks on defense but selected WRs in higher rounds. Both general managers selected 18 wideouts, but Ron Wolf did it over 10 seasons and Ted Thompson over 13 seasons.

Wolf also never spent a 1st round pick on a WR. Only twice did he attempt in the 2nd round, with Derrick Mayes and Robert Ferguson. He had better success in the 3rd round with Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman, but again those were the only two picks in the third. Wolf drafted only four receivers in the top 3 rounds. His only late round success was in Bill Shroeder and Donald Driver.

Thompson spent five 2nd round picks on WRs: Terrence Murphy, Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, and Davante. He only used two picks in the 3rd round selecting James Jones and Ty Montgomery. All of TT's late round wideout picks were busts...unless you're still on the Jeff Janis bandwagon!

In summary, Wolf only provided Favre with 4 wideouts from the first three rounds but he did have a little luck in the later rounds. Thompson has provided Rodgers with 7 wideouts from the first three rounds, with at least 5 of the 7 becoming stars.

** This info came from my spreadsheet tracking Packers drafts back to the 1950s. It all came from public data so feel free to verify the facts.

I will put Gutes 3 drafts in for you:

3 WR's drafted (all in 2018)

Percentage of picks used on WR: 10.7%

Average draft position 5th round.

Correct me if I am wrong, but TT and Gute so far have not drafted or signed a WR that I would call "successful", after the 3rd round. Maybe Lazard, ESB or MVS will change that, but for my money, I would be investing higher draft picks in WR's and if you can't do that, then Free Agency is another route.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mistake. For some reason I was thinking this occured during the midst of the Brock Osweiler era in Denver when they still had hope that he was their guy. I was mistaken.

I still don't believe that the Jordan Love pick is the reason for poor draft grades. I think that's one of the easier picks of theirs to justify, frankly.

I believe we are getting lousy grades because Gute and company didn't draft what most folks assumed was a huge need: WR and ILB. It is clear WR was not deemed to be a dire need to MLF and Gute.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I will put Gutes 3 drafts in for you:

3 WR's drafted (all in 2018)

Percentage of picks used on WR: 10.7%

Average draft position 5th round.

Correct me if I am wrong, but TT and Gute so far have not drafted or signed a WR that I would call "successful", after the 3rd round. Maybe Lazard, ESB or MVS will change that, but for my money, I would be investing higher draft picks in WR's and if you can't do that, then Free Agency is another route.

If Gutekunst is to be believed, he actually agreed with you so strongly that when his guys weren't there at #62 or #94, he decided to punt altogether.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live here
The fan base here is beyond annoying
They usually get allot more pop than they deserve but the offense they’ve assembled is pretty impressive and they will score a ton of points... I mean a TON
Defense is pretty pourous but they’ll make noise ... 10-6 or 11-5

Yes, Cowboy fans are insufferable, just like NE fans. There are a slew of them down here in southwest FL. But at least they have a legit reason to be cocky, unlike Dallas fans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Gutekunst is to be believed, he actually agreed with you so strongly that when his guys weren't there at #62 or #94, he decided to punt altogether.

I think in most drafts and with most rosters, I would have been fine with that. However with as "deep" of a WR class that this draft saw and with as thin as our group appeared to be, this was the perfect year to buck the trends and find a starter even in the 4th round. Oh wait, we didn't have a 4th round pick :whistling:

I am still hopeful that the current group of WR's ends up being more impressive than I am giving them credit for possibly being. Or Gute picks up another Vet WR via a trade or Free Agent situation.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had the Gutekunst stats but didn't want to throw them into that mix because we are just starting to see the results (or lack of) from his first drafts.

To your point, it's pretty clear that the majority of the Packers success at WR has come in the top rounds. I find that when having these types of discussions, we also have to remember what the team needs were in prior years. What did the Packers desperately need out of the draft when he took a bunch of late WRs in 2018.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think in most drafts and with most rosters, I would have been fine with that. However with as "deep" of a WR class that this draft saw and with as thin as our group appeared to be, this was the perfect year to buck the trends and find a starter even in the 4th round. Oh wait, we didn't have a 4th round pick :whistling:

I am still hopeful that the current group of WR's ends up being more impressive than I am giving them credit for possibly being. Or Gute picks up another Vet WR via a trade or Free Agent situation.

There is so much swirling around this time of year that's not verifiable, but according to Peter King, Gutekunst was trying to trade up in round 2 for one of his WR targets but couldn't get a deal, and then stopped trying after they came off the board.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Cowboy fans are insufferable, just like NE fans. There are a slew of them down here in southwest FL. But at least they have a legit reason to be cocky, unlike Dallas fans.
The new dynasty is assured to start this year.... (according to DFW media)
They have assembled a pretty talented offense which cannot be overlooked but the defense is full of ????

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gutey is either stupid or a liar. Anyone who looks at the current Packers receiver corps and thinks all is well--that person is a moron.

I also give Gutey no credit for saying WR's weren't there when they drafted. He orchestrated that by moving up in the first to take a project QB. He wasted both his first and his fourth to do that.