Is this the worst draft in this decade for the Packers?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well, there were plenty of times when Favre in fact did not find a way to score last. In his very last game with the Packers with a chance to take them to the Super Bowl, he had the ball and a chance to score last and instead threw a really terrible pass and sent the Giants to the Super Bowl.

This Favre vs. Rodgers in the 2008 season is just a really weird hill to pick to die on. It's obvious that you've decided to dig in on this argument and no amount of evidence is going to convince you otherwise, but you have just offered nothing in good supporting arguments as to why we should have stuck with Favre in '08 and let Rodgers ride the pine for a 4th year.

Aaron Rodgers was ready to start in his 4th year, there's no doubt. His performance in '08 was fine, and actually, quite good for a first year starter. His defense was very bad, there's a reason the entire system was overhauled in '08 before the '09 season. If your 1st round pick is not ready to play by his 4th year, he probably isn't your guy.

Would Favre have given us a better chance to win in '08 than Rodgers? I don't know, maybe? We were a 6-10 team. Favre wasn't taking the '08 Packers to the Super Bowl. And again, Rodgers was quite good in '08 and Favre was quite mediocre with the Jets. I realize that the offensive system changes and receivers play a part in that, which is why I said "maybe". I really don't know, but even if so, it wouldn't have made a significant difference. The '08 team as a whole played much worse than '07. And the '07 team, frankly, much like '19, played a bit over their heads.

Finally, again, even if Favre DID give the Packers a better chance in '08 than Rodgers, you cannot look at all this stuff in a vacuum. This is not a video game. If Favre comes out of retirement and Rodgers has to sit and hold a clipboard for a 4th year, he is almost certainly asking for a trade. Even if he doesn't ask for one then, Favre played for 3 more seasons from '08 to '10. You think Rodgers was just going to sit and wait that out? You think that the Packers were going to go ahead and give him starter money after his rookie contract to just be Favre's backup for 6 seasons when they had never even gotten a chance to see him start?

You're making an emotional argument rather than a rational one because you loved Favre when in reality there is absolutely no supporting logic whatsoever that the Packers erred in making the move to Rodgers in '08 after Favre's initial retirement.
Nailed it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was quite mediocre with the Jets.

Favre was 8-3 before struggling out the season with injury. He beat the Pats as well IIRC. He was doing pretty good before tearing his biceps. I wouldn't say he was mediocre, but leading the Jets to 9-7 is probably average for Favre.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to note that Favre led the league in TD's thrown 4 times. Aaron has done it only once. Not sure what that means. You'd think Rodgers would have done that more often.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No...Favre would've figured out how to score when he had the ball last

Just for reference, in 2008 in the 4th quarter, Favre completed 63% of his passes and had 7 TD's and 7 INT's.

Rodgers completed 61% of his passes for 8 TD's and 5 INT's in the 4th quarter in 2008.

Now, to dive in further, if you look at the 4th quarter stats while within 7 points of your opponent, Rodgers stats stay pretty much the same. Favre, on the other hand, drops to around 61% completion, 4 TD's, and 6 INT's.

So yeah, you're wrong.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was 8-3 before struggling out the season with injury. He beat the Pats as well IIRC. He was doing pretty good before tearing his biceps. I wouldn't say he was mediocre, but leading the Jets to 9-7 is probably average for Favre.

22 TDs and 22 INTs was a pretty mediocre season by his standards, but I can understand your point. They did get out of the gates quite well.

So he wasn't bad, and was good in stretches. His overall 2008 was not fantastic, however. There is a reason the Jets elected to release him after one season despite giving up a 3rd round draft pick for him.

None of that was really the point of my post, though.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for reference, in 2008 in the 4th quarter, Favre completed 63% of his passes and had 7 TD's and 7 INT's.

Rodgers completed 61% of his passes for 8 TD's and 5 INT's in the 4th quarter in 2008.

Now, to dive in further, if you look at the 4th quarter stats while within 7 points of your opponent, Rodgers stats stay pretty much the same. Favre, on the other hand, drops to around 61% completion, 4 TD's, and 6 INT's.

So yeah, you're wrong.

Favre had some really, really horrible playoff games and moments his last 5 or so years with the Packers.

He had a 6 INT playoff game against the Rams which is really hard to do even by his standards.

In the 4th and 26 game, we STILL got the ball in OT with a chance to win with a FG. Favre threw an awful pass on 1st down off his back foot to essentially sink us.

His last pass as a Packer in the NFCCG was yet another chance for him to win in OT in the playoffs and his ball was just terribly thrown and was thrown way too far inside for an easy pick.

Vikings fans are well aware of his short playoff history there.

He's a Packer legend, and rightfully so but anyone who won't recognize how horrific he was late in his career in big games simply isn't being honest with themselves.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to note that Favre led the league in TD's thrown 4 times. Aaron has done it only once. Not sure what that means. You'd think Rodgers would have done that more often.

That got me wondering... After a quick search I found that Favre led the league in passing attempts three times in his career while Rodgers has never led the league in passing attempts. Even more surprising is Rodgers has only been top 5 in passing attempts twice in his entire career (2016 and 2018).

Reaction score
Had Gute found a way to trade out of the 1st round (picks up an early 2nd and 4th), he would have had the firepower to pick one of those coveted WR's in Round 2 with either his first traded for pick or using his 4th rounder(s) along with the #62 pick to slide further up the board.
I guess the next 3-4 yrs will tell us if he made the right moves.
I remember Gute saying something to the effect of him wanting to explore certain pocket areas where he saw draft value. I believe we confirmed one of those areas at Receiver was from the time Shenault went off the board until Mims was taken. That would’ve been a feasible time to move there round 2 without being too costly. I’m pretty sure Gute tried to get something done, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Our fallback was a very powerful, bruising RB who I think Gute feels like will give him Lacy type running production. But if he can get him equipped and employed in rolling off blocks and use him in the passing game? His upside then becomes a combo of Henderson’s powerful short game, Henderson’s receiving game and a young Eddie Lacy wrapped up in one. While Lacy tried to improve his passing game, it always seemed like he was too short and not nimble enough. Hitting Dillon in space with a yard or two or a blocker and he’s much more dangerous than Lacy.

That in itself could really take pressure off of Rodgers, it keeps him upright more and gives him another underneath option to dump the ball quickly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

On the other hand Favre led the league in interceptions three times as well, something Rodgers hasn't even come close to at any point in his career.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand Favre led the league in interceptions three times as well, something Rodgers hasn't even come close to at any point in his career.

They're different players. Favre took big risks and wanted his receivers to make a play (and needed to be reeled in by his coaches) Rodgers takes more calculated risks. They both have the same amount of superbowl wins. One has been to the dance twice (so far). I don't really ever make an attempt to say who is better. Part of me wishes that Rodgers would gun sling it a little more for entertainment sake as I think Favre was the more exciting player to watch.

Members online

Latest posts