Is this guy now on the scrapheap better than our backups?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Texans release tight end Miller

KRISTIE RIEKEN

Associated Press

HOUSTON - Veteran tight end Billy Miller, whose production has decreased markedly over the past two seasons, was among 12 players released by the Houston Texans on Monday.

Miller played in every game and started nine last season. He caught 17 passes for 178 yards. The total was down from his work in both 2003 (40-355) and 2002 (51-613). He was the Texans leading receiver in 2002.

He has played more of a secondary role since Mark Bruener joined the team last season and has been hampered by an ankle injury he suffered earlier this month.

"It's one of the tougher decisions we've had to make because you have such strong feelings about Billy and the kind of team guy he's been," coach Dom Capers said. "We wish him well and hopefully he has an opportunity to catch on with another team."

Miller's release comes a day before teams must trim their rosters to 65 players. Houston now has 78 players, including 10 NFL Europe exemptions.

The team also released wide receivers LaTarence Dunbar, Kevin Kasper, Devin Pitts and Kendrick Starling. Pitts hoped to remain on the team with older brother Chester Pitts, a Texans offensive lineman.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound Miller has been with the Texans since their inception and caught the franchise's first touchdown pass.

The Texans rewarded him with a four-year contract worth $4 million, including a $1 million signing bonus following his breakout 2002 season. He was scheduled to make $850,000 this season.

He was a seventh-round draft pick in 1999 and spent two seasons with the Denver Broncos before being cut in 2001. He sat out that season before being picked up by the Texans in 2002.

Besides Bruener, the Texans have three other tight ends remaining on the squad. Matt Murphy is expected to be the backup after a great showing in camp and a 31-yard touchdown catch in Houston's first preseason game.

Others cut Monday were defensive ends Corey Sears, a seven-year NFL veteran who played in 15 games for Houston last season, and Carlos Williams; linebacker D.D. Acholonu; running back Jason Anderson; offensive tackle Chris Johnson; linebacker Quincy Monk, and cornerback Cedrick Williams.

--------------

It's time to cut the cheese with either Martin or Steele. This guy can't be WORSE than either one, can he?

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be worth a look. But he would have to be a clear cut improvement over what we have in camp.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like David Martin, don't really like Ben Steele...Miller could be an improvement on a downfield game that Franks lacks, but then again I could be a better downfield threat than Bubba Franks

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we dont need another TE. Every other week i swore my news said "packers sign tight end _________"

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see the Pack spend a 5-7 rd draft pick on someone that they could develop into a good 2nd TE. That should be able to be done.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever since the Tyrone Davis days, it's been amazing how poor our depth at the TE position has been. I'm not expecting a Jackson or Chmura duo, but you'd think we could do a little better over the years than a lazy and out of shape Tyrone Davis, an injured David Martin, and a guy who has a hard time catching the ball in Steele. It's frustrating that we still haven't been able to improve over Tyrone Davis :(

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers want some no-name TE to develop for the 3rd spot, they should take a look at Denver Bronco Wesley Duke. I've been watching some of the Arizona Cardinal/Denver game, and this Duke guy is impressive. He's an ex Power Forward in basketball at a college school that didn't offer football, but out on the football field he looks very fluid and agile.

He's made some impressive plays and the commentators were saying they asked Shanahan if the Broncos would try and hide him somewhere since it sounds like he'll be caught in a numbers game at TE in Denver, and Shanahan to his credit said he would never try to do that which could take away a players opportunity elsewhere.

He sounds very raw, but looked very athletic and impressive. It would probably take him awhile to learn an offense, but he looks like a natural out on the field. I'd gladly take this guy over any of our 3 TEs. If not, I still hope the Packers keep only 2 TEs and we hold onto Leach.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?i ... entID=4295

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ben Steele has improved greatly since he arrived in Packer mini camp. The Packer have corrected his flaws in the way he hold his hand while receiving and he worked at it during the period between Mini camp and summer training camp. He only has 2 years experience and comes from a small college Mesa State. He is 6'5'' and 2501bs. From watching him at Packer training camp, I think, he could develop into a NFL caliber tight end if not for the Packers some other franchise.In this era of free agency, salary cap and 32 franchises in NFL, NFL teams can no longer have the first string quality back ups of the old days when there were less teams in league, and no free agency or salary cap. The day of San Francisco 49er having veteran Joe Montana at QB and younger Steve Young waiting for five years to replace Joe when he retires, are long gone never to return. We have seen that here in Green Bay with Burnell, Hasselback etc backing up Favre and leaving Green Bay at the end of their contracts to become starters for other NFL teams. There are a few posters who still don't realized the great ramifications of Free agency and salary cap not just to the Packers, but all NFL teams. There is going to be personel changes every year. Teams are going to be losing players, they don't want to lose, but try to maintain their core players. It is fact of life in NFL in the new century.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
i like David Martin, don't really like Ben Steele...Miller could be an improvement on a downfield game that Franks lacks, but then again I could be a better downfield threat than Bubba Franks

C'mon man, quit stating the obvious. Of course Javon Walker is a better downfield threat than Bubba. You silly guy! :pals: :beer: :thumbsup:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry AZ - but I gotta go with PWT36 - he lays it out there pretty well on this line of thought.

TO ME? - Steele is still a player that needs development - so what if we have to do with OJT... in real games. Nick Barnett has had his moments, too! So will Nick Collins... count on it. But Steele had a pretty good second half against the Titans - including two (wasn't it) TD passes caught.... Everyone forgets so quickly that Steele was let go by the Vikings and then not even a week later they wanted him back..... There's something to that..... Steele should get that chance, like what you've seen written (or spoken about) by Mike Sherman for several other players - heck he wants to give Washington another chance when Donnell has essentially been pulling a rookie Hunt routine with the Coaches.

Check out the new PackersNews article I just posted....

Members online

Latest posts