1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ted Thompson A Strategic Genius?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Truman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Truman

Truman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am serious.

We have now learned that Campen was used as a Henry Kissinger-like emsissary between the Packers and Favre. We also know that Campen recently told Favre that if Favre backs the Packers into a corner, the team will have to welcome him back. At first thought, this looked like Campen taking Brett's side against Thompson, and Brett doing the unseemly thing of outing Campen in a nationally-televised interview.

Then I started thinking about it. Perhaps Campen gave Favre the message that Thompson wanted Campen to give. Dealing with Aaron Rodgers is a delicate matter. The Packers obviously see Rodgers as a starter at some point, and do not want to alienate him. If Thompson were to openly welcome Favre back at this point, Rodgers could feel betrayed and demand a trade himself or refuse to sign a long term contract. So Thompson, aware of Favre's itch to play, and also aware that Favre is likely the better quarterback at this point in time, perhaps devised a way to get Favre back as the starter without making Rodgers mad at him: send Campen to Mississippi to tell Favre that if Favre plays tough with the Packers, Thompson will have to back down and give Favre his old job back. Rodgers would then blame Favre for the mess, instead of Thompson and McCarthy, who by all public accounts were backing Rodgers until public pressure simply overwhelmed them.

Personally, I think Thompson actually is smart enough to orchestrate something like this.

2. BangTheDrum

BangTheDrum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, interesting point of view... I will agree that Thompson is a genius!

3. djcubez

djcubez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting idea but I'd still have to go with the "nobody's a genius" on this one just because of how terribly messy it's gotten. It's almost to the point of a feud now and if TT were a genius, who wouldn't be getting the bad rap he's got right now. However, we'll have to see how it plays out in the end.

4. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I think Thompson kidnapped Deanna and replaced her with a clone who is now working for him.

The clone talked Brett into coming back. This was all a plan, not so Brett would come back but so T.T. could tarnish Brett's legacy because all along T.T. has hated Brett.

I saw a black helicopter last year at family day.

5. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
  6. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Eye eye.. Captain Jack Sparrow sounding dude.. :lol:

Actually anything is possible in this twisted tale of the demise of one of the proudest careers here in Green Bay.. like a pirate in the night, the fairy tale was sunk in a single offseason. Or according to Brett a couple of offseasons.

7. djcubez

djcubez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ...I was there too and saw it. No kidding.

8. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

i do believe Thompson is capable of this... but.

Wouldn't Thompson make sure to tell Campen to tell Favre not to blast TT in an interview.

9. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Well, there you have it, one more option out the window. Won't work now, will it? Thanks alot Tru.

10. joe_smoe

joe_smoe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No hes a moronic klutz

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
  12. mxchamp004

mxchamp004 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    how long did it take you to think of this idea? I think it'd be great if it is true

13. mi_keys

mi_keys Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No, blasting TT would be part of the process of "backing him into a corner"

14. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I was thinking of this earlier too. Perhaps Favre came off this way in the interview on purpose. To put everything on his shoulders so no blame can be assigned on anyone but himself. Perhaps he was encouraged to do so if he wanted to start in GB. Perhaps. Since we are talking different takes.

If it was an orchestrated plan, it was a Rachmaninoff for sure.

15. starr15

starr15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    no he isnt wanna know why? he trades brett favre to the jets for a draft probably for a 4th round draft pick so ted thompson deserves to be hung

16. walleye

walleye Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    YES he is and we will see it this year with RODGERS.

17. Packman4Favre

Packman4Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No, just an idiot!

18. Pakrbakr4life

Pakrbakr4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  19. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would not call him a strategic genius, nor an idiot. He is neither. He's the general manager of the Green Bay Packers, so he currently makes the big team decisions. From past performance he's hit more than he missed. For that, I would rate him in the upper echelons of NFL team management. But that's not to say he's one extreme or the other.