Is Ted Thompson A Strategic Genius?

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am serious.

We have now learned that Campen was used as a Henry Kissinger-like emsissary between the Packers and Favre. We also know that Campen recently told Favre that if Favre backs the Packers into a corner, the team will have to welcome him back. At first thought, this looked like Campen taking Brett's side against Thompson, and Brett doing the unseemly thing of outing Campen in a nationally-televised interview.

Then I started thinking about it. Perhaps Campen gave Favre the message that Thompson wanted Campen to give. Dealing with Aaron Rodgers is a delicate matter. The Packers obviously see Rodgers as a starter at some point, and do not want to alienate him. If Thompson were to openly welcome Favre back at this point, Rodgers could feel betrayed and demand a trade himself or refuse to sign a long term contract. So Thompson, aware of Favre's itch to play, and also aware that Favre is likely the better quarterback at this point in time, perhaps devised a way to get Favre back as the starter without making Rodgers mad at him: send Campen to Mississippi to tell Favre that if Favre plays tough with the Packers, Thompson will have to back down and give Favre his old job back. Rodgers would then blame Favre for the mess, instead of Thompson and McCarthy, who by all public accounts were backing Rodgers until public pressure simply overwhelmed them.

Personally, I think Thompson actually is smart enough to orchestrate something like this.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting idea but I'd still have to go with the "nobody's a genius" on this one just because of how terribly messy it's gotten. It's almost to the point of a feud now and if TT were a genius, who wouldn't be getting the bad rap he's got right now. However, we'll have to see how it plays out in the end.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson kidnapped Deanna and replaced her with a clone who is now working for him.

The clone talked Brett into coming back. This was all a plan, not so Brett would come back but so T.T. could tarnish Brett's legacy because all along T.T. has hated Brett.

I saw a black helicopter last year at family day.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Then I started thinking about it. Perhaps Campen gave Favre the message that Thompson wanted Campen to give. Dealing with Aaron Rodgers is a delicate matter. The Packers obviously see Rodgers as a starter at some point, and do not want to alienate him. If Thompson were to openly welcome Favre back at this point, Rodgers could feel betrayed and demand a trade himself or refuse to sign a long term contract. So Thompson, aware of Favre's itch to play, and also aware that Favre is likely the better quarterback at this point in time, perhaps devised a way to get Favre back as the starter without making Rodgers mad at him: send Campen to Mississippi to tell Favre that if Favre plays tough with the Packers, Thompson will have to back down and give Favre his old job back. Rodgers would then blame Favre for the mess, instead of Thompson and McCarthy, who by all public accounts were backing Rodgers until public pressure simply overwhelmed them.

Eye eye.. Captain Jack Sparrow sounding dude.. :lol:

Actually anything is possible in this twisted tale of the demise of one of the proudest careers here in Green Bay.. like a pirate in the night, the fairy tale was sunk in a single offseason. Or according to Brett a couple of offseasons.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I think Thompson kidnapped Deanna and replaced her with a clone who is now working for him.

The clone talked Brett into coming back. This was all a plan, not so Brett would come back but so T.T. could tarnish Brett's legacy because all along T.T. has hated Brett.

I saw a black helicopter last year at family day.

...I was there too and saw it. No kidding.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am serious.

We have now learned that Campen was used as a Henry Kissinger-like emsissary between the Packers and Favre. We also know that Campen recently told Favre that if Favre backs the Packers into a corner, the team will have to welcome him back. At first thought, this looked like Campen taking Brett's side against Thompson, and Brett doing the unseemly thing of outing Campen in a nationally-televised interview.

Personally, I think Thompson actually is smart enough to orchestrate something like this.

i do believe Thompson is capable of this... but.

Wouldn't Thompson make sure to tell Campen to tell Favre not to blast TT in an interview.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am serious.

Well, there you have it, one more option out the window. Won't work now, will it? Thanks alot Tru.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truman said:
I am serious.

i do believe Thompson is capable of this... but.

Wouldn't Thompson make sure to tell Campen to tell Favre not to blast TT in an interview.

No, blasting TT would be part of the process of "backing him into a corner"

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking of this earlier too. Perhaps Favre came off this way in the interview on purpose. To put everything on his shoulders so no blame can be assigned on anyone but himself. Perhaps he was encouraged to do so if he wanted to start in GB. Perhaps. Since we are talking different takes.

If it was an orchestrated plan, it was a Rachmaninoff for sure.

starr15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no he isnt wanna know why? he trades brett favre to the jets for a draft probably for a 4th round draft pick so ted thompson deserves to be hung

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not call him a strategic genius, nor an idiot. He is neither. He's the general manager of the Green Bay Packers, so he currently makes the big team decisions. From past performance he's hit more than he missed. For that, I would rate him in the upper echelons of NFL team management. But that's not to say he's one extreme or the other.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts