Is MM on the hot seat for 2016

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Don't trust what Belichick says. His comments are self-serving. Just like how he said Seattle throwing the ball instead of running Lynch in the SB was a great play call.
I don't think so. If that were true, Belichick would be throwing praise left and right and I don't think that's the case. IMO Belichick genuinely respects McCarthy. And he should. McCarthy’s Packers lost to him at Gillette Stadium 31-27 in 2010 with Matt Flynn starting at QB and beat him at Lambeau last season 26-21.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what Florio said:

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/mike...ter-another-green-bay-packers-playoff-failure

Hard to disagree with that - MM has had both Favre and Rodgers for a decade, and somehow only has 1 Super Bowl appearance.

That makes sense. MM is just an average coach, he's not a good coach.

MM snuck up on everyone as the 6 seed in 2010. Since then, everyone has figured him out, and he's lost a lot of playoff games when the Packers are favored.

Is there a complacency with the Packers? Are TT and MM just happy to make the playoffs every year? We are like the Atlanta Braves of the 90s - make the playoffs every year, but have a postseason disappointment every single year except for one year. We shouldn't be like the Bears, who would be happy just to make the playoffs. We are the Packers, and our standards should be higher than that.

Not complacent at all. They are out to win it all every year. It's just not feasible. MM may not be the 'best' coach out there, but he's not hamburger either. There are few who come along who are heads and shoulders above the rest. Guys like Lombardi and Walsh were just that much better than everyone else. But still, there aren't that many out there today that could do better, so, just like players, you can't just fire the coach because he doesn't win the SB every year. You may end up with a coaching carousel like the Bears, Lions or Browns to name a few.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The next great coach is an upcoming young assistant who hasn't gotten his shot yet. That's who I'd want a new HC to come from when the time comes. Like Twiddlemylobes points out, I'm not interested in a group of 'not availables'.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well when most say they hate him and/or his coaching philosophy I'd say it counts

True RRyder. Hating someone you don't know for a sports result is over the top. But it's been applied to fans with legitimate criticism.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not complacent at all. They are out to win it all every year. It's just not feasible. MM may not be the 'best' coach out there, but he's not hamburger either. There are few who come along who are heads and shoulders above the rest. Guys like Lombardi and Walsh were just that much better than everyone else. But still, there aren't that many out there today that could do better, so, just like players, you can't just fire the coach because he doesn't win the SB every year. You may end up with a coaching carousel like the Bears, Lions or Browns to name a few.

No you can't fire a coach for not winning a super bowl every year, but wait you can. not saying you should but after last seasons melt down, and the way this season played out, I would hope McCarthy is on the hot seat. Its not the fact that they lost, its how they have lost the last few years that bugs me. They simply cannot win games when it matters most. They can't put teams away and bury them in the playoffs, dare I say they just simply aren't built to do those things when it counts.

At this point, making the playoffs should be a given but to not even make one super bowl since 2010 with this team is inexcusable, do the packers not have the talent? Coaching? Scouting? to have at least made it to another super bowl? Something isn't right with this organization and it shows in the playoffs. Maybe I'm being too critical but I feel some people aren't being critical enough.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really think it is all talent? I personally thing there are some coaching issues on both sides of the ball causing problems. Let's not forget that the offense also had a tendency to be rather poor in the playoffs as well. Certainly not as stunningly bad in the final moments of a game as the defense but subpar for sure.

In the end, talent is a huge, if not the ultimate factor, especially in the playoffs. How many playmakers do you have, does your opponent have? And whose playmakers come up with the most big plays, especially in clutch time?

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end, talent is a huge, if not the ultimate factor, especially in the playoffs. How many playmakers do you have, does your opponent have? And whose playmakers come up with the most big plays, especially in clutch time?
Looks like the wrong guy is on the hot seat then.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Coughlin is a better coach than MM. Sure he's old, but we only need him for a few years. Rodgers has only a few years left in his prime.

I think Coughlin is a good coach but I think he's much better with teams on the come up but don't think he's good at running a consistent contender.

He helped the Giants with two miraculous runs and was great with an expansion team in the Jaguars but the two Giants runs came out of no where so I haven't seen him do anything significant with a team with any kind of expectations since his 14-2 year with the Jaguars and that was a LONG time ago..... If only they could've beaten the Titans that year once in 3 tries

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about McCarthy to get all the regular season wins and make the playoffs. Then, bring in Coughlin to take it from there? :)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Florio isn't speculating. He's just passing on McGinn's speculation. Thompson must have blown McGinn off of a REAL story because McGinn has been chewing at Thompson's *** all year...and make no mistake, he's a coumnist...not a reporter. I think he's at the point where he's getting too big for his head to pass through a conventional doorway.

Sky King

Reaction score
Florio isn't speculating. He's just passing on McGinn's speculation. Thompson must have blown McGinn off of a REAL story because McGinn has been chewing at Thompson's *** all year...and make no mistake, he's a coumnist...not a reporter. I think he's at the point where he's getting too big for his head to pass through a conventional doorway.
Thompson needs to be more communicative with the media. He's entitled to be his own man but it is part of his job to answer questions that have gone (by default) to MM while he (TT) is off on a scouting mission somewhere. They've got guys on staff for the latter, anyway. TT is bashful and evasive with the media and the fans. No wonder McGinn and others show a little frustration with TT. All they can do is speculate since TT is rarely available to answer their questions.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I agree Sky...but you know, McGinn can be a little ******. One of my degrees is in Journalism and ... Well, I dont like him much.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Sky...but you know, McGinn can be a little ******. One of my degrees is in Journalism and ... Well, I dont like him much.

I'll expect your column ripping TT and MM new ones on my desk in the morning. :D

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thompson needs to be more communicative with the media. He's entitled to be his own man but it is part of his job to answer questions that have gone (by default) to MM while he (TT) is off on a scouting mission somewhere. They've got guys on staff for the latter, anyway. TT is bashful and evasive with the media and the fans. No wonder McGinn and others show a little frustration with TT. All they can do is speculate since TT is rarely available to answer their questions.

Who said it is Teds job to talk to media? Maybe the board and Mark have told him he doesnt have to..

Members online

Latest posts