Is MM on the hot seat for 2016

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the feeling that this end of the season talk went much different than those in the past. From MM tone during the exit conference, to the firing, the blatant calling out of players, his insistence on keeping play calling, and even being more blunt about Clay.

I think MM may have gotten the a message from management that things need to change NOW. That the disappointing season by Lacy, Adams, and others is on him.

I obviously don't have anything to support this besides the fact that it just feels different this time.

Is this a make or break season in 2016 for MM? Thoughts?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. I don't think he's going anywhere. Who would you replace him with?

If for some reason we struggle again next season, then I would say he might be on the hot seat.

greenbeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM just wanted to show to the media and fans, that he knows what the problems on offense were/are, and that he will hold the players, his staff and himself acountable. I really liked his presser. Gave me a even more confidence, that there will be an improvment next season.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the feeling that this end of the season talk went much different than those in the past. From MM tone during the exit conference, to the firing, the blatant calling out of players, his insistence on keeping play calling, and even being more blunt about Clay.

I think MM may have gotten the a message from management that things need to change NOW. That the disappointing season by Lacy, Adams, and others is on him.

I obviously don't have anything to support this besides the fact that it just feels different this time.

A certain Mr. Ted Thompson better have gotten the same message then. I am in no way bashing Ted here because I love him as a GM overall but MM can only worth with what he's given. I think if they disappoint in 2016 again his seat may get warmer but I agree with an earlier post that I don't think he's going anywhere.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Are either Thompson or McCarthy on the hot seat in 2016? Like it or not, no.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm just waiting to see if Masthay is on the hot seat.....MM and TT are safe. Takes more then losing in the second round of the playoffs and the NFCCG the year before, to get yourself on the hot seat as a GM or HC. Of course....some will try to convince you both of them should have been fired in 2008 when the Packers finished 6-10.

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You really think so, just something seemed very different in this press conference and the days to follow. I liked the urgency but it seemed unlike anything I have seen in a while.

My thought is MM was given one more year to make the most of it. Not saying he would be fired, but I think the possibility exist... Where it was very very unlikely before.

Sky King

Reaction score
You really think so, just something seemed very different in this press conference and the days to follow. I liked the urgency but it seemed unlike anything I have seen in a while.

My thought is MM was given one more year to make the most of it. Not saying he would be fired, but I think the possibility exist... Where it was very very unlikely before.
His demeanor seemed different to me, as well. My guess is that the natives would get mighty restless if the 2016 GBP team were to resemble the 2015 version. Imagine if his team reaches 6 of 8 playoff games lost on the last play to conclude next season. If that happens he should be very uncomfortable.

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody was listening to that blowbag Viking fan Florio?

This confuses me, did I miss something?

Was there an article? I really have this posted multiple times across different threads since Monday night when I heard it. He sounded different to me is all.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If not , maybe they should be. If it's more of the same/stay the course and the team continues to slip, then definitely they should.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion is that he sucks. He's good compared to bad coaches, but bad compared to good ones. A team with a good coach doesn't lose that many close games in the 4th/OT. We can blame the players for mistakes, but isn't it up to the coaches to make sure everyone is on the right page to eliminate mistakes?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I thought same thing, heard some things last week, then on wssp a packer insider said it's common knowledge in the league he could be on hot seat..

I already posted that he was safe this year but next year might be different.

There is a rift with him and Rodgers... And if push comes to shove... you keep Rodgers and let MM go..

But your right in the way he was so open.... He is changing his ways...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This confdon't s me, did I miss something?

Was there an article? I really have this posted multiple times across different threads since Monday night when I heard it. He sounded different to me is all.

My son said Florio said the same thing on his show. I don't like Florio and he knows it, so sure as the sun comes up, he relays Florio's comments. Wasn't a jab Un4.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My opinion is that he sucks. He's good compared to bad coaches, but bad compared to good ones. A team with a good coach doesn't lose that many close games in the 4th/OT. We can blame the players for mistakes, but isn't it up to the coaches to make sure everyone is on the right page to eliminate mistakes?
He doesn't suck... But at some point things have to change

To eliminate mistakes is part of why rb and te coach were let go..

They parted ways instead of re-newing the 2 year contract position coaches get

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason, probably because MM is so even keeled, that we don't see him very upset about anything. We see some frustration, but not really any anger coming out of him. I think a lot of people read that as perhaps not being fully invested or lacking fire or something. I think this is a mistake.

MM does his job according to his philosophy and personality but I think its a big mistake to assume he somehow doesn't bring it all to the job day in and day out. I am getting a sense that his frustration level has been building over the past couple years because of preventable mistakes and their quite significant cost to the team, especially post season. I believe we are starting to see this come to the surface and I expect him to be a lot more 'in your face' this coming year when it comes to the players and coaching staff. I think he is going to bring some heat this off season and will be sending a clear and powerful message to all that past efforts are no longer acceptable and if you don't make the steps he thinks you should, your time in GB will be short lived.

I think you see a different attitude in GB next year. I think you see them hungry, focused and determined. I think the prospect of 'entitlement' has pretty much crashed and burned, now it's back to having to do it the old fashioned way, by earning it... every drill, every rep, every snap. No way does Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota come in here and win next year. Not one of them.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so fast to say no..
Hey, I typed it as fast as I could. I'm not saying either should or shouldn't be, I'm saying they aren't on the hot seat in 2016.

I believed Thompson's extension runs through 2018 and I'd guess McCarthy's does too but I couldn't find anything definitive about the lengths of their current contracts - LTF maybe you can shed some light on this. If they are signed through 2018 I don't think the Packers would eat two years of either's salary.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, I typed it as fast as I could. I'm not saying either should or shouldn't be, I'm saying they aren't on the hot seat in 2016.

I believed Thompson's extension runs through 2018 and I'd guess McCarthy's does too but I couldn't find anything definitive about the lengths of their current contracts - LTF maybe you can shed some light on this. If they are signed through 2018 I don't think the Packers would eat two years of either's salary.

I am under impression MM is along with TT in years..I think the Packers have enough $ to buy out Mike if they feel it needs to be done.. But there also could be a nice buy out clause. Will they do it? I dont think so, I think they wait out the contract.

As it has been pointed out already, Mike was very candid in his end of season pc. Why would he vary from how the Packers normally handle internal issues? I think he wants to do a change to show how serious he is to getting back to the SB..Was that because Mark Murphy or Ted said something? I dont think he and Ted spoke yet. I think Mike decided to do this on his own.

So a different style for this year might be a good shake up?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
For some reason, probably because MM is so even keeled, that we don't see him very upset about anything. We see some frustration, but not really any anger coming out of him. I think a lot of people read that as perhaps not being fully invested or lacking fire or something. I think this is a mistake.

He gets upset behind closed doors..Heard a story back when Finley was a rookie? ?? And Fin was bad mouthing Rodgers..MM met with him with doors closed and rumor was you could hear the "talking" going on

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what is wrong with the Packers having no real owner. Capers should of been fired 4 years ago, MM 2 years ago and TT should of been fired this year or on the hot seat.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what is wrong with the Packers having no real owner. Capers should of been fired 4 years ago, MM 2 years ago and TT should of been fired this year or on the hot seat.

You can make an argument for Capers but saying MM should've been fired 2 years ago and TT this season to me is wow.... just wow

Members online

Latest posts