Is MM on the hot seat for 2016

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can make an argument for Capers but saying MM should've been fired 2 years ago and TT this season to me is wow.... just wow
How is that so unfathomable? Most owners don't accept failure. Since 2010, McCarthy hasn't proven the ability to win close games in the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is what is wrong with the Packers having no real owner.
Absolutely right. If the Packers had a "real" owner they could have been the Milwaukee and then L.A. Packers decades ago!

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he should have been fired after last season's meltdown. Most will disagree, but it was that bad. You only have so many opportunities like that. They were the best team in the NFL, they basically had no injuries other than Rodgers' calf and they still had a 19-0 lead in the 3rd quarter of the NFCC game. All you have to do is play base defense on a meaningless field goal try and the game would have been over.

There is no excuse for losing that game. They had four 4th and 1 chances and kicked every time. They forced 5 turnovers. Yet special teams and scared offense allowed them to lose that game. Even after they fell behind they still had a chance to win. They had 3 timeouts and moved the ball down to the Seattle 36 yard line with 35 seconds left. They called 3 short pass plays and essentially settled for a 50 yard field goal. So that's 2 years in a row they settled for overtime instead of trying to win in regulation.

It's probable that we will all be back here a year from now, going over the same stuff - game mismanagement, poor clock management, wasted timeouts, another defensive collapse in the playoffs, another choke, 2017 is going to be different, you name it.

Since 2010 the Packers are 3-5 in the playoffs. The losses against Eli Manning, Colin Kaepernick x2, Russell Wilson and Carson Palmer. They have beaten Tony Romo (2 playoff wins) and Kirk Cousins (lol) and Joe freaking Webb.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Overall, I notice so many Mike McCarthy haters on this forum and I find it very interesting. Everyone can come up with situations where MM let the Green Bay Packer's down. Then anyone can come up with that exact situation where the team let MM and us fan's down. So here are the facts and you can choose to continue to complain or realize the Green Bay Packers have it pretty damn good. Out of current NFL coaches with more than 50 wins, Mike McCarthy ranks SECOND in the NFL for winning percentage. Second only to Bill Bellichick.
Here's the numbers:

Current Coaches
Bill Bellichick: 223-113 --> .664 (.730 with Patriots)
Mike McCarthy: 104-55-1 --> .653
Mike Tomlin: 92-52 --> .639
Sean Peyton: 87-57 --> .604
John Harbaugh: 77-57 --> .602
Marvin Lewis: 112-94 --> .543
Andy Reid: 161-110 --> .594
Tom Coughlin: 170-150--> .531
John Fox: 125-99 --> .558

Notable Names
Mike Holmgren: 161-111 --> .592
Vince Lombardi: 96-34-6 --> .738
Curly Lambeau: 226-132 --> .624 (.667 with Packers)
Bill Parcells: 172-130-1 --> .569

So Mike McCarthy has a winning percentage of 65.3%. So now you have two choices, continue to ***** or come up with a better solution. I do not think Bob Kraft is looking to get rid of Bill Bellichick anytime soon, so there is nothing to complain about. The Green Bay Packers have the second most winning coach in the NFL. But lets complain about how terrible he is in playoffs:

Bill Bellicheck: 23-9 --> .719
John Harbaugh: 10-5 --> .667
Pete Caroll: 9-6 --> .600
Sean Peyton: 6-4 --> .600
Mike McCarthey: 8-7 --> .553
John Fox: 8-7 --> .553
Andy Reid: 11-11 --> .500

Mike McCarthy is tied for 5th for best winning percentage in playoffs.

So given the stats, someone please tell me who (besides Bill Bellichick) is a better option as a coach? Should we call up Nick Saben and give him a second chance in the NFL? Enough of the complaining people! He is an amazing coach and he is not going anywhere. Maybe he plays too conservative for your liking, but the numbers do not lie. IT WORKS.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he should have been fired after last season's meltdown. Most will disagree, but it was that bad. You only have so many opportunities like that. They were the best team in the NFL, they basically had no injuries other than Rodgers' calf and they still had a 19-0 lead in the 3rd quarter of the NFCC game. All you have to do is play base defense on a meaningless field goal try and the game would have been over.

There is no excuse for losing that game. They had four 4th and 1 chances and kicked every time. They forced 5 turnovers. Yet special teams and scared offense allowed them to lose that game. Even after they fell behind they still had a chance to win. They had 3 timeouts and moved the ball down to the Seattle 36 yard line with 35 seconds left. They called 3 short pass plays and essentially settled for a 50 yard field goal. So that's 2 years in a row they settled for overtime instead of trying to win in regulation.

It's probable that we will all be back here a year from now, going over the same stuff - game mismanagement, poor clock management, wasted timeouts, another defensive collapse in the playoffs, another choke, 2017 is going to be different, you name it.

Since 2010 the Packers are 3-5 in the playoffs. The losses against Eli Manning, Colin Kaepernick x2, Russell Wilson and Carson Palmer. They have beaten Tony Romo (2 playoff wins) and Kirk Cousins (lol) and Joe freaking Webb.
man, this post hurts.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I know a lot of posters compare McCarthy to Belichick but why set our sights so low? Why can't the Packers have a coach as good as, or better than Lombardi? Shouldn't McCarthy be able to win 74%+ of regular season games and 90% of playoff games going forward? Lombardi could do it in Green Bay, why not McCarthy?

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
keep him for one more year because next season will be ours. after that, most vets will have another ring and we can now think of the future and rebuild with young kids on the roster. I knew we wouldn't go this year.

you heard it hear first! we will go the the SB! btw...if you're wondering why I know, I have ISP. (Incredible SuperBowl Prediction)

RepStar15

Reaction score
keep him for one more year because next season will be ours. after that, most vets will have another ring and we can now think of the future and rebuild with young kids on the roster. I knew we wouldn't go this year.

you heard it hear first! we will go the the SB! btw...if you're wondering why I know, I have ISP. (Incredible SuperBowl Prediction)
How about we keep him until the Packers stop making playoffs multiple years?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of posters compare McCarthy to Belichick but why set our sights so low? Why can't the Packers have a coach as good as, or better than Lombardi? Shouldn't McCarthy be able to win 74%+ of regular season games and 90% of playoff games going forward? Lombardi could do it in Green Bay, why not McCarthy?

That would be nice. :D

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it you are one of those people that believe because McCarthy won a Super Bowl he should have a free pass for life. I personally don't think McCarthy should be fired but there is just something wrong with the "Attitude" in Green Bay. By the way I can play with numbers too.

McCarthy not counting Super Bowl Seasons - 4-7 .364 winning percentage

McCarthy - 5 of his 7 playoff losses were on the final play of the game - this tells me that his teams are no prepared to win, they are prepared to falter when it matters the most whether the defense or the offense is on the field.

McCarthy - 1 SuperBowl Appearance in 10 years with a Hall of Fame QB under center, Eli Manning has been to more Super Bowls

Look, McCarthy has been a good coach for us be his not without flaws.

RepStar15

Reaction score
I take it you are one of those people that believe because McCarthy won a Super Bowl he should have a free pass for life. I personally don't think McCarthy should be fired but there is just something wrong with the "Attitude" in Green Bay. By the way I can play with numbers too.

McCarthy not counting Super Bowl Seasons - 4-7 .364 winning percentage

McCarthy - 5 of his 7 playoff losses were on the final play of the game - this tells me that his teams are no prepared to win, they are prepared to falter when it matters the most whether the defense or the offense is on the field.

McCarthy - 1 SuperBowl Appearance in 10 years with a Hall of Fame QB under center, Eli Manning has been to more Super Bowls

Look, McCarthy has been a good coach for us be his not without flaws.
Did I ever mention anything about him winning a Super Bowl?
I take it you are someone that would not be happy with any coach.

Reaction score
7 consecutive playoff appearances. An NFC title match in OT and a Lombardi.
No frickin' way
I'd take maybe Belichek but we already got one guy with a "hoodie"

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM has bought himself a down year or two. And really, we were 10-6 last season. Lets face it, a lot of NFL teams out there would love to have our "Problems".

Reaction score
I think TT has an opportunity of a lifetime this year. If his additions pan out like his 2014/2015 acquisitions (or slightly better) he will make Mike look even better than he already is.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 consecutive playoff appearances. An NFC title match in OT and a Lombardi.
No frickin' way
I'd take maybe Belichek but we already got one guy with a "hoodie"
We have Aaron Rodgers. A 10-6 season, mediocre offense, getting swept at home by division opponents, and losing the division isn't acceptable. Late game meltdowns and players coming in overweight doesn't exactly allude to us having a guy who can motivate players.

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is with Aaron at quarterback I could probably win 10 games as head coach.

It's not a spectacular feat to have a hall of fame quarterback and good record. **** the Bengals make it every year with Lewis. And I don't think he is good either.

Idk I am somewhere in between, but I could see him being on the hot seat.

The thing is, is it shouldn't be about your win percentage. It should be about getting the most out of your players and the situation. If you have a five win team in talent and win 7, that's pretty damn good.

Now on the other hand, if you have the best talent in the league.... And never win a super bowl wouldn't that say something as well?

Win percentage is over-rated... what do you get out of your players is a better question.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is with Aaron at quarterback I could probably win 10 games as head coach.

It's not a spectacular feat to have a hall of fame quarterback and good record. **** the Bengals make it every year with Lewis. And I don't think he is good either.

Idk I am somewhere in between, but I could see him being on the hot seat.

The thing is, is it shouldn't be about your win percentage. It should be about getting the most out of your players and the situation. If you have a five win team in talent and win 7, that's pretty damn good.

Now on the other hand, if you have the best talent in the league.... And never win a super bowl wouldn't that say something as well?

Win percentage is over-rated... what do you get out of your players is a better question.
I'm glad we agree on that. That kind of a streak with a QB like Andy Dalton would be commendable. With Rodgers, it's the least you should do.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints have Drew Brees, have a longer Super Bowl 'drought' than us, have won their division once since then, and have finished under .500 3 out of the last 4 seasons. Yet Sean Payton is still widely respected around the league and would find work quickly if the Saints dumped him.

There are a lot of great QBs in the NFL. Having Aaron Rodgers guarantees nothing. One of the reasons we finished 10-6 instead of 12-4 this year was because the best QB in the NFL didn't always play like it. In any event, I don't know how it got perpetuated that as long as we have Aaron Rodgers, we should always dominate. Great QBs are on teams that have down years sometimes, it happens. Our 'down year' was 10-6. Favre had numerous 9-7 seasons, a couple 8-8 seasons and a 4-12 season.

I think some people undervalue stability. Go ahead, replace MM. But there's no guarantees with the next guy, (see Rhodes, Ray, 1999) and before you know it you're the Browns or Bucs. No one wants to see that happen.

As long as we are still perennially competitive and he hasn't lost the team, I see no reason he should be on the hot seat.

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints have Drew Brees, have a longer Super Bowl 'drought' than us, have won their division once since then, and have finished under .500 3 out of the last 4 seasons. Yet Sean Payton is still widely respected around the league and would find work quickly if the Saints dumped him.

There are a lot of great QBs in the NFL. Having Aaron Rodgers guarantees nothing. One of the reasons we finished 10-6 instead of 12-4 this year was because the best QB in the NFL didn't always play like it. In any event, I don't know how it got perpetuated that as long as we have Aaron Rodgers, we should always dominate. Great QBs are on teams that have down years sometimes, it happens. Our 'down year' was 10-6. Favre had numerous 9-7 seasons, a couple 8-8 seasons and a 4-12 season.

I think some people undervalue stability. Go ahead, replace MM. But there's no guarantees with the next guy, (see Rhodes, Ray, 1999) and before you know it you're the Browns or Bucs. No one wants to see that happen.

As long as we are still perennially competitive and he hasn't lost the team, I see no reason he should be on the hot seat.

Settle a little... I never said I wanted him fired at this moment. Just said win percentage is a useless stat when talking about coaches.

A coach can go 5-11 then 11-5 the next year. Did he get that much better at coaching? Or did he get better players? That's all i am saying.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints have Drew Brees, have a longer Super Bowl 'drought' than us, have won their division once since then, and have finished under .500 3 out of the last 4 seasons. Yet Sean Payton is still widely respected around the league and would find work quickly if the Saints dumped him. There are a lot of great QBs in the NFL. Having Aaron Rodgers guarantees nothing. One of the reasons we finished 10-6 instead of 12-4 this year was because the best QB in the NFL didn't always play like it.

Or if Adams and Jones didn't drop balls in the end zone at the end of the game, or Crosby didn't pooch kick a 50 yard field goal, we'd be 12-4.

Rodgers the 31 TDs to 8 INTs with no #1 receiver and a slug of a TE, yet it's his fault this team wasn't better.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Settle a little... I never said I wanted him fired at this moment. Just said win percentage is a useless stat when talking about coaches.

A coach can go 5-11 then 11-5 the next year. Did he get that much better at coaching? Or did he get better players? That's all i am saying.

Most likely a combination of a lot of factors. An NFL season is so short you can catch a few bounces and win your close ones one year and go 13-3, and have every bounce go against you the following year and go 8-8. I don't think the Chargers and Cowboys are 4-12 bad or the Bengals 12-4 good, for example.

Members online

Latest posts