Is MM on the hot seat for 2016

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Do you listen to his weekly podcasts? IMHO they offer far more insight into both his perspective and his personality than his writings alone are able to do.

No. I don't sports talk radio drives me crazy. I would offer though, that the man's written works says more than his spoken words. For the sole reason that he will use words more carefully when committed to writing. I'm sure his family loves him and all....

Sky King

Reaction score
No. I don't sports talk radio drives me crazy. I would offer though, that the man's written works says more than his spoken words. For the sole reason that he will use words more carefully when committed to writing. I'm sure his family loves him and all....
Personally, I have found that the podcasts have actually enhanced his spoken words. It offers pleasant insight into his personality -- something that does not come through very clearly in his columns. That came as a genuine surprise to me. My impression of him has changed 180 degrees since I began listening to those podcasts two seasons ago. Formerly, I had shared a similar opinion of him as yours.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Florio isn't speculating. He's just passing on McGinn's speculation. Thompson must have blown McGinn off of a REAL story because McGinn has been chewing at Thompson's *** all year...and make no mistake, he's a coumnist...not a reporter. I think he's at the point where he's getting too big for his head to pass through a conventional doorway.
You've gone too far this time weeds. It's one thing to call McGinn 'not a reporter' but to call him a communist is way over the line! Move over Joe McCarthy, weeds is take'n over!! Next thing you know he'll be saying there's a communist plot at jsonline!! It's ridic... .... oh wait a minute. Nevermind.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You've gone too far this time weeds. It's one thing to call McGinn 'not a reporter' but to call him a communist is way over the line! Move over Joe McCarthy, weeds is take'n over!! Next thing you know he'll be saying there's a communist plot at jsonline!! It's ridic... .... oh wait a minute. Nevermind.
Dang...can't even call that "edit smack"...can't blame that on "autocorrect". Guess I'll have to hold a "post-post" presser and just mutter something about me having "to clean that up. You can't omit an L like that and expect to get your point across. Gotta clean that up..."

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget something here, since George Seifert and Jimmy Johnson retired, there has only been one NFC coach (Tom Coughlin) that has 2 rings. Every other NFC coach that has won a SB within that time frame (since the 1994 49ers won their superbowl under Seifert), has only 1 and only two coaches (Mike Holmgren and Pete Caroll) have had back-to-back Superbowl trips. I just feel that MM has as good, if not a better chance than a lot of other current coaches to get another ring and tie Couglin for that.

I think it's well to heed the point that the Packers hold the current longest streak in the NFC for making the playoffs at 7 years in a row, in fact that's tied for first in the whole league with New England. This is all under McCarthy. You want to make it to the Superbowl, you gotta be put in position to get there, and that's what he has done every year so far. Have our playoff games had disappointments in them? Certainly, but I'd again ask you to think about which other coach currently doing this has not had bad slipups in the playoffs after winning a superbowl, or even more so largely failed to make the playoffs again after looking good on a run, and I guarantee you John Gruden, Sean Payton, Mike Martz, Jim Fassell, and Ken Whizenhunt all fit that profile. Even the aforementioned Coughlin who does have 2 superbowl rings has the bad trade-off of failing to make the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years and had some embarrassing playoff losses to his name as well, so let's not pretend coaches that do what McCarthy does come along every day.

Having said that, no coach for the record (besides Bellichik maybe) is immune from a firing if things start going full bottom up. If things get worse in titletown next season such as not making the playoffs and the rift between Rodgers and MM becomes glaring, there might be a case to start warming the seat up. But simply wanting him out because the team makes the playoffs and doesn't go to the superbowl is just lunacy. Why do I think we can get there next year or year after? I feel like with Nelson and Montgomery coming back plus a competition between Janis and Adams, Lacy being in better shape, and a defense whose corners in Randall and Rollins are getting better to add to what I think will be a good pass rush next season, I think our chances are going up big time. If we did change out the HC, would it work out for the better to get to the superbowl? Maybe, but I just don't think that's the answer right now to get us there.

Sky King

Reaction score
McCarthy had a bad year. The newly reorganized coaching structure for the offense got exposed and proved to be dysfunctional on the field and behind the scenes. McCarthy has had to fire two offensive coaches, so far, and there is still not a WR coach or clearly defined assignments for some coaches remaining on offense. Until proven otherwise on the playing field, this is a coaching staff and roster whose needle is pointing downward.

On offense they made almost everything look difficult. Offensive production dropped like a rock this season and it's been caused by far more than the loss of one WR. The reigning MVP did not look like one. Lacy had an off year and transformed into a Hobbit. Cobb fought the ball all year. Adams had a horrendous enough year to make one wonder if he's going to turn into a bust. R. Rodgers certainly lacks the talent of a #1 TE. Barclay looked like he did not belong on an NFL roster, and Lane Taylor and Josh Walker may not be all that far behind. Once again the team found a way to fail in spectacular fashion. This failure falls at Ted Thompson's feet, too. And if that's not enough already, we are now hearing reports that McCarthy is frustrated with Thompson because of his aversion to filling needs on the roster through free agency. So am I.

There should not be much doubt in the minds even of those who have historically supported McCarthy -- of which I count myself as (still) being one -- that something was amiss with the overall chemistry of the GM, HC, his staff and his players this season. I'm hoping that it was just an anomaly rather than a preview of worse things to come. But I'll be honest. I'm not as confident about the future of this current group as I would like to be.

Members online

Latest posts