Is Mason Crosby Headed for the Bone Yard?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hunter Bradley was the Packers LS from 2018 to Nov. 2nd of this year. I think he was used as the scape goat for some of the place kicking issues. Wirtel was brought in to take his place and obviously sucked, at least with his blocking duties. Wirtel wasn't just some bum that Gute signed off the streets. He was a LS in college and sat on the Practice squads of Detroit and the Rams for the last 2 years.

As far as the physical attributes of a LS. I think if you look around, size wasn't really Wirtel's big issue. Teams tend to go with leaner, more athletic guys (former TE's and LB's), since they offer more on running down the field and making tackles then a big bulky offensive center would.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hunter Bradley was the Packers LS from 2018 to Nov. 2nd of this year. I think he was used as the scape goat for some of the place kicking issues. Wirtel was brought in to take his place and obviously sucked, at least with his blocking duties. Wirtel wasn't just some bum that Gute signed off the streets. He was a LS in college and sat on the Practice squads of Detroit and the Rams for the last 2 years.

As far as the physical attributes of a LS. I think if you look around, size wasn't really Wirtel's big issue. Teams tend to go with leaner, more athletic guys (former TE's and LB's), since they offer more on running down the field and making tackles then a big bulky offensive center would.
Here's a size chart back when we had Brett Goode as our LS. Nice guy too. Friend of my son.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's a size chart back when we had Brett Goode as our LS. Nice guy too. Friend of my son.

Good article and confirms most of what I have read in the past on the rationale of having an athletic LS and that is all he does for his team.

That is cool on your Son and Brett Goode. I remember him as bigger than many LS's but really good, until injuries took their toll on him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a lot of posters leaning towards this being the final year that Mason Crosby is a Packer, I am going to make a prediction.

If the Packers cut ties with him and he doesn't hang his cleats up, he goes to another team and if it is a decent team, he shines.

Just watching Robbie Gould, at the age of 39 and seeing his confidence, gives me hope that Mason can do the same with a solid special teams unit around him. Crosby may have lost a yard or two in his leg, but I think put into the right situation, the guy can return to being clutch. Gould has had his ups and downs too, but I think the 49'ers are thankful they have him.
They were without him for a spell last year and their replacement cost them the Seahawks game in OT. This year they were in the same mold for a few games after they played us in September. I always thought Gould was better than Crosby and better than so so many kickers in the league for a long time. He may not have the distance as some of the big boomers but accuracy has always been his strong point. I think the Bears missed him in that one playoff game against the Eagles.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They were without him for a spell last year and their replacement cost them the Seahawks game in OT. This year they were in the same mold for a few games after they played us in September. I always thought Gould was better than Crosby and better than so so many kickers in the league for a long time. He may not have the distance as some of the big boomers but accuracy has always been his strong point. I think the Bears missed him in that one playoff game against the Eagles.

So I looked up Crosby and compared him to Gould. Some might look and say "Gould has been such a much better kicker than Crosby, there is no comparison. Gould has a GF lifetime made % of 86.6 and Crosby is at 81.1"

So a big 5.5% difference between the 2, that is substantial.

Now you look at XP's and Mason is a tad higher in that stat, but has kicked a lot more XP's.

Then you look at how long both of their careers are and Mason misses about 1.1ish more FG attempts per season than Gould. So can you really say for sure that Gould has been better than Mason?

Obviously, to do a better comparison, you would have to look at a lot more variables. Length of kick, situations of each kick, circumstances of missed kicks (kicker error or Special teams error).

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I looked up Crosby and compared him to Gould. Some might look and say "Gould has been such a much better kicker than Crosby, there is no comparison. Gould has a GF lifetime made % of 86.6 and Crosby is at 81.1"

So a big 5.5% difference between the 2, that is substantial.

Now you look at XP's and Mason is a tad higher in that stat, but has kicked a lot more XP's.

Then you look at how long both of their careers are and Mason misses about 1.1ish more FG attempts per season than Gould. So can you really say for sure that Gould has been better than Mason?

Obviously, to do a better comparison, you would have to look at a lot more variables. Length of kick, situations of each kick, circumstances of missed kicks (kicker error or Special teams error).
So many variables to consider. Sometimes the view from the recliner in the living room is so far from realistic that it's unreal. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong.

That's why we keep posting out here. To correct those who are wrong! That's why we're always tasteful in how we dress, and conduct ourselves when attending games.

Can't say that about all fans, for all teams. Some just think it's Cosplay!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So many variables to consider. Sometimes the view from the recliner in the living room is so far from realistic that it's unreal. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong.

That's why we keep posting out here. To correct those who are wrong! That's why we're always tasteful in how we dress, and conduct ourselves when attending games.

Can't say that about all fans, for all teams. Some just think it's Cosplay!
Yup and sometimes I have to remind myself, that the guys (Gute, MLF, etc.) making the calls on all of these things, are not just a lot smarter than me, but they have a ton more information than I have.

As my tagline says, its fun playing Armchair QB, but I always have to remember that I know only what I know.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about instead of you being the squeaky wheel. Let's hear from you before Free Agency and you explain to all of us your thoughts on the position. That way its in writing ahead of the situation, instead of your normal posts when you just come after the fact to P & M.
Looking at how he choked again in the playoffs and was one of the bottom couple of kickers this year. Anybody.

We already have one anti vaxxer that won't shut up. At least that one is MVP. Mason is a joke

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looking at how he choked again in the playoffs and was one of the bottom couple of kickers this year. Anybody.

We already have one anti vaxxer that won't shut up. At least that one is MVP. Mason is a joke
Just how did he "choke again" in the playoffs? First, in order for it to be "again", he would have had to have choked in previous playoff games. Second, when did he choke in the playoffs this or any other year. I'll wait.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't save $2 mill by cutting Crosby before 2022 starts. We pay him $2.34 mill in dead cap, so we actually cut less than $2.5 mill from the cap itself, and have to pay a new kicker a minimum of $705k. That means with a street kicker we save $1.8 mill. Let's just make sure we're playing this game using these figures so we know where we're going.

At this point I have no idea what the going rate will be for a guy picked in a later round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We don't save $2 mill by cutting Crosby before 2022 starts. We pay him $2.34 mill in dead cap, so we actually cut less than $2.5 mill from the cap itself, and have to pay a new kicker a minimum of $705k. That means with a street kicker we save $1.8 mill. Let's just make sure we're playing this game using these figures so we know where we're going.

At this point I have no idea what the going rate will be for a guy picked in a later round.
Some people aren't used to having to work under the conditions of being required to use facts. Throw enough sh*t at the wall and they hope something sticks.

Some also use the "anything is better than that" argument, hoping you don't require them to explain their plans for improving "that".

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just how did he "choke again" in the playoffs? First, in order for it to be "again", he would have had to have choked in previous playoff games. Second, when did he choke in the playoffs this or any other year. I'll wait.
Also that block was his fault. He should have lobbed it higher. Shameful

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220128-203935_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220128-203935_Chrome.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 82

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also that block was his fault. He should have lobbed it higher. Shameful

"lobbed it higher"....explain your premise please, I would love to hear it. Did you actually watch the game and see the play in question?

LOL at your "damning evidence". A 41 yard miss in the first Quarter of an Atlanta drubbing of the Packers? Did you read that was his first miss, after 23 straight makes?

Try harder to make stuff up.

Last edited:

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"lobbed it higher"....explain your premise please, I would love to hear it. Did you actually watch the game and see the play in question?

LOL at your "damning evidence". A 41 yard miss in the first Quarter of an Atlanta drubbing of the Packers? Did you read that was his first miss, after 23 straight makes?

Try harder to make stuff up.

That was the only miss in the playoffs. Also that field goal set the tone for getting blown out in Atlanta in that NFCC. If he makes it, would have been a whole new game. Keep making excuses for the biggest choke jobs ever

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That was the only miss in the playoffs. Also that field goal set the tone for getting blown out in Atlanta in that NFCC. If he makes it, would have been a whole new game. Keep making excuses for the biggest choke jobs ever
OMG...really? Did you watch the game? "If he makes it, would have been a whole new game." :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Yes, the Packers would have only been down 24-3 at halftime in a game they lost 44-21.

"Biggest choke job ever" :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

OMG...I can't breath, I am lauging too hard. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I have seen some really really humdinger posts on here, but this one takes the cake by a long shot.

Brandon? Is that you?

Holy crap that was funny! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason's missed field goal led to great Atlanta field position and a score on their next possession and green bay went down two scores. That pressure caused Rip to choke and fumble in the red zone on the ensuing drive. All down hill from there. Mason also missed off the carpet in 2012 at Indy. Costing Green Bay valuable playoff seeding that year. He's a choke artist. A rookie in Cincinnati is far better

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mason's missed field goal led to great Atlanta field position and a score on their next possession and green bay went down two scores. That pressure caused Rip to choke and fumble in the red zone on the ensuing drive. All down hill from there. Mason also missed off the carpet in 2012 at Indy. Costing GrWeen Bay valuable playoff seeding that year. He's a choke artist. A rookie in Cincinnati is far better
Lol....you should have quit while you were way behind. Now you just sound pathetically desperate to try and use a 1st quarter 41 yd miss as the reason the Packers went on to lose 44-22. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

BTW...using the outcome of a game played on Oct 7th (against Colts in 2012) as more evidence of Crosby choking in the playoffs, even more pathetic. First, it isn't a playoff game. Second, it's the 5th game of the season, who starts talking playoff position, with 11 games to play?

Last edited:

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol....you should have quit while you were way behind. Now you just sound pathetically desperate to try and use a 1st quarter 41 yd miss as the reason the Packers went on to lose 44-22. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

BTW...using the outcome of a game played on Oct 7th (against Colts in 2012) as more evidence of Crosby choking in the playoffs, even more pathetic. First, it isn't a playoff game. Second, it's the 5th game of the season, who starts talking playoff position, with 11 games to play?
You're really obsessed with defending Mason when he's almost done nothing clutch in his career. He's had the most embarrassing games for this team. And yet you keep defending him

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're really obsessed with defending Mason when he's almost done nothing clutch in his career. He's had the most embarrassing games for this team. And yet you keep defending him
Nothing clutch in his career? I'm not gonna sight them all. But here goes nothing:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Seriously dude, when it comes to the playoffs, Mason has been outstanding. You are the one that is obsessed at throwing as much at the wall to try and disprove that and none of it is sticking.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously dude, when it comes to the playoffs, Mason has been outstanding. You are the one that is obsessed at throwing as much at the wall to try and disprove that and none of it is sticking.
I just stopped reading his nonsense. I’m not opposed to replacing Crosby… not because I think he hasn’t been a great Packer… but because I think it may just be time… but the to say he has never done anything clutch is just ignoring reality.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts