Is it just me or I feel that the Journey and winning SB XLV is more meaning full

L

Lunchboxer

To me I feel that this season and the Journey to win SB XLV seems to be more meaning than the SB XXXI. Because what the Packers had to go through. With all the Injurys to several key players, and the diffculty getting into the playoffs. Also Packers going on the road to Philly to Atlanta and To Chicago that was a tough challenge. Not to mention that The Pack won the NFC Title on the Bears home turf made the season that more meaningful.

Also the hard fought battle against the Steelers in the SB with Woodson,Driver and other key players gone down and still won the game that feat alone is amazing.

Anyone else agree.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
XXXI was a long time coming which made it that much more special. But how can you beat winning the NFCC game against the Bears in Chi-town and then winning the Superbowl in back to back games?

You can't...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
XXXI I fully expected to win the title.
This year preseason I did too, but after all the injuries, I thought "maybe next year".

To me this one is sweeter because I followed much more closely. Technology and broadcast wasn't as abrangent as it is now, and being in Brazil, I didn't watch every game at the time...

GaryGnu

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree, and for those reasons that have been stated. It will make a nice "America's Game" video or whatever else the NFL produces.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think its ABSOLUTLY HILARIOUS that Urlacher thinks the Bears are better than the Packers!:stinker:
:chisux:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
XXXI was a cake walk compared to this one.
They are each different and special in their own way.
No matter when the Pack wins a SB it will always feel meaningful no matter what they did.

This was a tough one to get to and it's a very well deserved win for the Pack and the fans.
Which does make it feel that much more meaningful.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Lunch, I have to respectfully disagree. The excitement level of this Super Bowl win subsided, sadly, pretty quickly it seemed. Even here in Northeastern Wisconsin compared to the win in #31. The purse swinging between the players and owners probably being the culprit. That's just my opinion of the general level of excitement here in this geographical area.

Don't get me wrong, it's a BIG deal at my house. :pleasantry:

The win in #31 was HUGE up here because of the amount of time that passed between the previous championship and the fact that the 70's and 80's yielded such pathetic football that the 4 years leading up to the '96 season had reached something of a crescendo -- haha. I'm not kidding - it was a 3-ring circus after the loss in the '95 NFC Championship game leading into the '96 season. I mean, Packers fans appeared out of nowhere...driving up demand and creating a scarcity of tickets - and truthfully, the fan base at Lambeau changed significantly. I guess that is what winning yields, but when I say that the area came to life, I'm not exaggerating because it was an electric time here.Particularly for those of us who did indeed SUFFER through the prior 3 decades. Many of the fans are fans today because of that team.

Now...that's a good thing...but it's important to remember that ONLY 14-years passed between these two Super Bowl wins - not an entire generation. In that regard, I'm fortunate because I got to witness and remember 4 (I don't remember '65 because I was only 7 at the time, which was also the first season that I went to Lambeau to watch a game - actually, I walked into City Stadium that day, and walked out of Lambeau Field - didn't recognize the significance of it...but hey...)

THIS Packers Super Bowl team is in second place to no other Packers' team. This season caught me totally flat-footed because I didn't recognize their potential at the beginning of the season. Coming off of a total defensive ***-kicking against Arizona...I just did not see what the Super Bowl talk was based on until that New England game.

These guys deserve EVERY accolade they get. I'm proud of them and proud to be a Green Bay Packers fan. I'm proud that none of these guys have been talking **** and making us look bad in the national media. These guys have proven to be true professionals as a group and I couldn't be happier.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Not to mention that The Pack won the NFC Title on the Bears home turf made the season that more meaningful.

I have a Bears fan on the Chicago Bears message board that keeps saying how the Packers season was a defeat because the Bears won the division. I keep replying that dood, we beat you twice to get to the Superbowl. The we WON the Superbowl. He just keeps repeating how it's an incomplete season because the Bears won the Division.

I can't tell if he's really that ignorant, or he's just trying to pull my leg some. If he means it, those must be x-ray strength Homer goggles he be wearing.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Bears fan on the Chicago Bears message board that keeps saying how the Packers season was a defeat because the Bears won the division. I keep replying that dood, we beat you twice to get to the Superbowl. The we WON the Superbowl. He just keeps repeating how it's an incomplete season because the Bears won the Division.

I can't tell if he's really that ignorant, or he's just trying to pull my leg some. If he means it, those must be x-ray strength Homer goggles he be wearing.

I would say it is not a defeat but it is incomplete. Only a perfect campaign with all wins by a butt-kicking would be a complete season.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think this year was surreal. Mid-season, my hopes for any title were stifled from our injuries & OT losses. The play-offs were so magnificent and such a 180 degree turn around (maybe 180 is exaggerated). To me, it seemed as if it were a dream, a dream come true to be exact. I still pinch myself once in a while to make sure it was real. "OUCH!!!" It was real all right.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one that has to keep reminding myself that it really happened.

The pinching thing though .... mmmm... I don't know about that one, ma'am. :victory:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers improved their playoff position nearly every year under Holmgren until they won the Super Bowl so there was an inevitability about that championship run.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one that has to keep reminding myself that it really happened.

The pinching thing though .... mmmm... I don't know about that one, ma'am. :victory:

I feel the same way. Every few days I'll see an article or some Packer related merchandise in the store and I say to myself "Holy Crap the Packers won the Super Bowl"

When the season started I thought they had a legitimate chance of making a deep run in the playoffs. But as the injuries mounted I really thought they were dead in the water.

The Super Bowl was a microcosm of the entire season. Start out strong, then injuries hit (Driver, Woodson, Shields). Somehow the persevered and won the whole damn thing! Gotta give a lot of credit to MM and his staff & the veterans on this team for NEVER letting them get down.

As satisfying as XXXI was, this one was even sweeter just because of how they won it. Having to win the last 2 games of the season just to get into the playoffs. Then winning 3 road playoff games to get to the Super Bowl. Just a fantastic story!

Another personal reason was XXXI my kids were too young to really appreciate what happened. This time they were celebrating right along with me!

Lets do what the BF lead Packers couldn't do and repeat this year!!

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Gawd, I remember being a physical wreck as the Steeler's clawed their way back into the game. The instant relief when the 4th down pass went incomplete was so good. Nothing like watching your team do the victory formation in the Superbowl!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Both were memorable in their own right. Both teams had significant injuries. (As I detailed at length and by names in a post in another thread sometime during last season.) But I see a couple of differences. I remember just before the season started for XXXI, Sports Illustrated featured a cover with a bunch of Packers on the front and folks were fully expecting the Packers to go all the way. This past year's team was judged to be good, but there was a wide range of disagreement over how good. Many thought they were just a piece or two short of the whole package. So this team really shut the mouths of many pundits, especially those favorable to teams such as the Saints,Vikings, Bears, Jets and Patriots.

I have to agree with Weeds, however in that some of the sheen has been removed from this one by the owner/player billion dollar "I can't get no satisfaction because I'm so poor and destitute I won't survive" bickering.

SOOOO the Pack will just have to come back after this labor stoppage and win another one to savor.

Members online

Latest posts