Is Bears Acquasition of Marshall a Difference Maker?

With the Bears AcQuiring Brandon Marshall, Is the NFC North Now the Toughest Division in Football??

• Yes, the Packers need to utilize Free Agency/Trades to Keep Up

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Yes, the Packers "Draft and Develop" Strategy is a Winner in January, Not in March.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No. Other Divisions are More Difficult Than the NFC North.

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help but think getting Cutler and Marshall together again is bad news for the NFC North...does this move by the Bears mean the Packers are "standing pat" while other teams get better?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFC South is the toughest division in the NFC, if not the NFL.

I agree Marshall will make a difference for Chicago, but I'm not sure if it will be enough of a difference. Remember we have to play Calvin Johnson twice a year too, so we're already prepared to take on a big name receiver. Plus Marshall has an attitude problem. While he might have an OK relationship with Cutler, he's still a bit of a headcase.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can I go with "Yes, but a healthy Tramon Williams can cover him".

Marshall is the best receiver to ever wear a Bears jersey. They guy has something like three Pro Bowls and five 1,000 seasons. He is a beast and is a matchup problem. The Bears best receiver does from Johnny Knox to Brandon Marshall. That is a huge upgrade.

This move alone is not scarey. This move plus the addition of a starting left tackle or Mario Williams is something to worry about.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mario Williams isn't going to Chicago. They're looking at someone else now. Buffalo is taking a huge run at Mario Williams, offering him a larger deal than what Chicago gave to Peppers.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely an upgrade for the team. But Cutlet - Marshall didn't exactly light up the win column together in Denver. 15-17 I believe.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams that win in march don't win in January.

We went 15-1 last season. Standing pat the first day of free agency means we aren't going to overpay for someone. Making a big splash for someone would be a terrible idea. Gotta pay several stars on this team in the next 2 years.

Does it really matter who the bears sign at WR if cutler only has 4 seconds to throw the ball?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mario Williams isn't going to Chicago. They're looking at someone else now. Buffalo is taking a huge run at Mario Williams, offering him a larger deal than what Chicago gave to Peppers.

I saw that. I'm just not sold until he actually signs a contract with Buffalo.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nfc south has the best overall division. I'd say the NFC north has the best 3 teams in one division.

I disagree with that. The Falcons are vastly over-rated and haven't won a playoff game with "Matty Ice" at QB. The Panthers are up-and-coming, but far from a playoff team. The Bucs are a 4 win team.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They put up some pretty good numbers in Denver together for a couple seasons, but that production never led Denver to a winning record. That could change in Chicago, but I'm not ready to crown them just yet. As someone pointed out, winning in March doesn't necessarily mean winning in Jan. And as someone else mentioned, there's a reason why he's been traded yet again. My guess is he has a poor attitude. We'll see how he handles the Windy City..

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC South and East are two of the biggest overrated divisions in Football. Not saying the NFC North is the best, but there wasn't much choice in the vote options. (which was dumb imho, but w/e).

I would say the best on paper is the AFC East then AFC North, then the NFC North.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The bears still have O line issues. Cutler has shown that if you rattle his cage he loses his poise. If we can get our pass rush back I'm not that worried about the addition of Marshall.

Gonna make for some good football

Reaction score
Now that I think about it I feel the NFC east has the best division. After the redskins get rg3 they will be vastly improved. Plus the giants, eagles, and the cowboys. 1 team may not be world beaters in that division; however, each team is good and are all playoff contenders except the redskins who aren't there yet. Each division could have a strong case made for it except the west. Even the west is becoming much stronger than it used to be especially If the Seahawks or cardinals get Peyton or Flynn . NFC is the best league hands down

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people forget that the Bears were a playoff team prior to the Cutler and Forte injuries last year. When Cutler went down, the Bears were 7-3 with their next three games being the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos. They are a good football team. Marshall definitely makes the offense better.

Reaction score
NFC South and East are two of the biggest overrated divisions in Football. Not saying the NFC North is the best, but there wasn't much choice in the vote options. (which was dumb imho, but w/e).

I would say the best on paper is the AFC East then AFC North, then the NFC North.
afc east really? After patriots which team would be a legitimate playoff contender?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think the NFC North is the toughest division in the NFL. Want to know why:
Packers > Saints
Detroit = Atlanta
Chitcago = Tampa Bay
Vikings < Carolina

I do think we may want to sign 1 or 2 free agents for a change this year, I would wish for us to have a good center to replace Wells and something to help out our D.

Also even if the Bears gain a few better players, I'm still betting we go 1-1 versus them this year. Plus they still have Cutler at helm and Lovie Smith, something I really don't want to see changed as a Packers fan.

Reaction score
If the Bills land Williams and Meachem like they are trying, they will be, Jets are decent, though on the decline, the Fins are going to be decent and are up and comers.

of course that could always change.

That is true; however, They have 3 mediocre qbs in that division. Unless Peyton or Flynn go to the dolphins. Until they get better Qb's I can't put them as the best division in the entire league. Remember a couple FA doesn't make the team spectacular. Just ask the Eagles :)

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this move is going to completely backfire on the bears (or maybe its wishful thinking). I cannot help but think that this is going to take more touches away from matt forte who is their best player, while it does make them more two-dimensional they still don't have any other receiver threats to speak of so you throw a cb and safety over the top on marshall and can still stop the run effectively. I see cutler forcing way to many passes to marshall that get picked off or incomplete.

Reaction score
I think the NFC North is the toughest division in the NFL. Want to know why:
Packers > Saints
Detroit = Atlanta
Chitcago = Tampa Bay
Vikings < Carolina

I do think we may want to sign 1 or 2 free agents for a change this year, I would wish for us to have a good center to replace Wells and something to help out our D.

Also even if the Bears gain a few better players, I'm still betting we go 1-1 versus them this year. Plus they still have Cutler at helm and Lovie Smith, something I really don't want to see changed as a Packers fan.
I'd say Chicago is better than Tampa Bay and Carolina.

Hey Cutler is a good QB. I hate his personality but he is very solid. Given a few weapons and an actual decent offensive Coordinator. He could put up some solid numbers. When the Bears were rolling last year, they were balanced with the offense. They had good production from Cutler and Forte. They didn't make the playoffs because both of those guys got hurt. This division is going to be very tough this year. Every division game won't be a gimme with maybe the exception of the Vikings. Who knows maybe they Ponder progresses quite a bit. Maybe they get a gem in the middle to late rounds with what it looks like to be Kalil in the first round.

Reaction score
I think this move is going to completely backfire on the bears (or maybe its wishful thinking). I cannot help but think that this is going to take more touches away from matt forte who is their best player, while it does make them more two-dimensional they still don't have any other receiver threats to speak of so you throw a cb and safety over the top on marshall and can still stop the run effectively. I see cutler forcing way to many passes to marshall that get picked off or incomplete.
So if packers got Ap it might take throws away from Rodgers. C'mon man . Plus they still have the draft to get another wr

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts