Interesting Theory Shared With A Friend...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the Packers pushing as much dead money as possible into the season succeeding Rodgers' departure as they won't be a contender that year anyway.

The problem with that.....how do you know when THAT is?

He could get injured this year and we aren't a contender, meanwhile, we just went all in and now shoved it all out. He could keep playing at a high level, but we are so over leveraged, we can't keep good players around him.

Its a healthy balance and not an easy one to predict. I know what you want, but you are making it sound easier than it is. Have you looked at the cap situation for next year? You are also making it sound like drafting another player instead of Love, automatically makes them better. It can, but it also might not. Gute clearly picked Love for the future. If you want a GM for now, that doesn't seem to be his style.

Last edited:

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the Packers pushing as much dead money as possible into the season succeeding Rodgers' departure as they won't be a contender that year anyway.

The Packers could have used a late round pick this year to draft a backup running back as well.

Sure, and pray that the late rounder can actually play. I've seen enough of Dillon to know he's a player. Now, you have two quality backs, you don't have to use a draft pick on a RB, but rather can use it on a CB, WR, OL, or DL.

D

Deleted member 6794

The problem with that.....how do you know when THAT is?

He could get injured this year and we aren't a contender, meanwhile, we just went all in and now shoved it all out. He could keep playing at a high level, but we are so over leveraged, we can't keep good players around him.

First of all it's more or less the Packers' decision on when to move on from Rodgers. In addition dead money doesn't count against the cap until the team actuall moves on from a player.

Furthermore it's possible to restructure contracts every single year pushing the cap hit into future years as well.

You are also making it sound like drafting another player instead of Love, automatically makes them better. It can, but it also might not. Gute clearly picked Love for the future. If you want a GM for now, that doesn't seem to be his style.

It would have been all but guaranteed that first rounder at another position would have had more positive impact than Love during his rookie season. I don't know if that would have been good enough to get past the Bucs in the NFCCG but I would have liked to find out.

As I've mentioned repeatedly the Packers should try to take advantage of having a generational talent at quarterback for as long as possible. Therefore I don't consider the general manager making moves for several years down the road as a smart approach.

Sure, and pray that the late rounder can actually play. I've seen enough of Dillon to know he's a player. Now, you have two quality backs, you don't have to use a draft pick on a RB, but rather can use it on a CB, WR, OL, or DL.

In my opinion the second round pick would have been better spent on one of the positions you mentioned in last year's draft. I would have been fine with using a day three pick on a running back though.

Members online

Latest posts