Interesting piece from this mornings National football post

sundown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
sundown said:
Dc is worthless unless he has all day to find his target, if he gets rushed he throws INT's.he has done just that time and time again.

From '00-'04 Daunte Culpepper threw 69 INTs, a little more than 12 per season. By contrast in the same time span he threw 124 TDs & rushed for 26 more. Worthless, you say? He only averaged 30 total TDs per season. There's no pleasin' some people.

To be fair he started out '05 (first season without Moss) 6 TDs & 12 INTs before tearing up his knee, & then played with loser MIA in '06 & actually did OK in a couple of games for OAK in '07. In those 3 seasons the talent level had dropped off considerably around him so it's not an apples to apples comparison. It was a good match for him to come to GB this season with the WR talent they have.

It would have made Rodgers a better player to have Culpepper to compete with. Isn't that what football is about? Competition making everyone a better player? Not according to TT & MM. They're mavericks who don't have to follow conventional football wisdom.
If he is so good why is he out of football,he gets cut everywhere he goes and the only reason he threw those TD's early on is because he had some awesome receivers and a stellar offensive line,what has he done since nothing.I stand by my post he is worthless Chris Simms would have been better.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a reason why these FA QBs are out there. Maybe MM thinks our rookies are better than these guys grandtkd23 listed? But we don't know for a fact if TT brought in anyone or made phone calls, do we?

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sundown said:
...Chris Simms would have been better.

Because Simms has done what? Gotten injured & then released the following year. And now? 12 career TDs & 17 INTs, riding pine in TEN. Not looking good for an '03 draft pick.

Maybe you missed Culpepper destroy MIA all by himself in a game last year. 2 pass TDs & 3 rush TDs. Then Josh McCown got healthy again & Russell was gaining confidence so OAK had no use for DC anymore.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
They also talked with Quinn Gray from Jacksonville, along with a few others.

However, apparently it just didn't seem like a good fit, and if that was the case, I'm ok with that decision. That is something we will never know because we weren't interviewing and speaking with the candidates.

Give it a rest guys. Thompson did try to bring in a veteran backup. No question about it. However, for many reason we will never know, he didn't feel like it would ultimately help us much and though we could get enough talent with much more upside the lousy backups that probably couldn't win us a game anyway. Yes, it is a bit of a risk, but so is signing some backup that no other team wants. Sometimes big risks lead to big rewards. We may end up with three starting caliber quarterbacks on our roaster soon. T.T. won't look so "terrible" then.

Also, even with a decent backup, it would be tough to go very far with all of these injuries, and that is NOT Ted Thompson's fault, as much as many of you would like it to be. C'mon people, think logically here.

The guy is not God. He has made some mistakes. No question about it. The ultimate goal of this game is to win the superbowl. Even if T.T. can't make that happen, that doesn't mean he's a failure. If that was the case, 31 other GM's would be every year as well.

We are going to be a good team for many years to come and perhaps just one or two players away from being Champions. Just be patient. Some years things just don't work out. Take last year for example.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:

However, apparently it just didn't seem like a good fit, and if that was the case, I'm ok with that decision. That is something we will never know because we weren't interviewing and speaking with the candidates.

Give it a rest guys. Thompson did try to bring in a veteran backup. No question about it. However, for many reason we will never know, he didn't feel like it would ultimately help us much and though we could get enough talent with much more upside the lousy backups that probably couldn't win us a game anyway. Yes, it is a bit of a risk, but so is signing some backup that no other team wants. Sometimes big risks lead to big rewards. We may end up with three starting caliber quarterbacks on our roaster soon. T.T. won't look so "terrible" then.

Also, even with a decent backup, it would be tough to go very far with all of these injuries, and that is NOT Ted Thompson's fault, as much as many of you would like it to be. C'mon people, think logically here.

The guy is not God. He has made some mistakes. No question about it. The ultimate goal of this game is to win the superbowl. Even if T.T. can't make that happen, that doesn't mean he's a failure. If that was the case, 31 other GM's would be every year as well.

We are going to be a good team for many years to come and perhaps just one or two players away from being Champions. Just be patient. Some years things just don't work out. Take last year for example.

Well said Sir!

GBstock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:

Please don't tell people to "give it a rest". I believe this forum is to give people a podium to speak.
The fact is Thompson "gambled" away our shot at a Super Bowl this season. You don't get many shots. He gets credit when the team is successful (last season he won executive of the year). He needs to get ripped when he acts in such an irresponsible manner as he has since he signed his extension.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:

A good GM tries to fill his roster with plenty of Quality depth so that they can plug pieces in and keep going. Injuries haven't prevented the Steelers from going 3-1 although its debatable how far they will go. The Titans lost their Starting QB and are humming along. No We have depth at a few positions (WR being one of them, at Corner/Dbacks, and Oline, although I question the quality there), but not in some others (Running Backs, Linebackers, DLine, Quarterback being key). I'm really hoping Grant was not a one hit wonder right now.

Now I honestly believe that Thompson was planning on this team regressing, and if you think that's possible, given our record in 2007, then yeah maybe this is not unexpected. However, the reality is even if Favre was here it wouldn't be enough. The team is been out of sync on both sides of the ball. Yes Injuries play a factor, and should lesson criticism of the team, but like it or not, it is the Management that has to work to make sure we have depth to step in when this happens.

Case in point look at the Redskins, Last Year. Their Starting QB Jason Campbell went down with an Injury, boom in comes the veteran Todd Collins, and he leads them back to the Playoffs. They lost perhaps one of the best safeties to ever play the game, murdered in his own house, yet in steps Laron Landry, and look how their secondary is now. That hasn't always been the case with that team though. They lost Their Starting Right Guard and Tackle in the first two games. Jon Jansen against Miami, and Randy Thomas against Philadelphia. They had troubles on the O-line, but somehow they mustered enough emotion to make it in as a Wild Card.

Now I'm not ready to write the Packers off just yet, this team still has time to pull it together, but unlike the Skins of 07, we don't have a Todd Collins, Kerry Collins, or any other veteran backing us up. If Rodgers go down, things will be just that tougher. The injuries on Defense are not going to help us win games either.

So, what can we conclude from this? Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. By revealing where some of our depth is lacking or perhaps not as good as we thought, we can work to fix those problems before the Trade Deadline, or quite possibly, in the draft next year. I'd really like to have seen a before and after of how many expected to make the play offs with Aaron Rodgers this year. I'd have been a bit nervous about saying that even though he has shown some sparks. So let's not throw in the towel or give up on this team yet. Yes we have injuries, and yes management is responsible for what we have on the roster, but in the end, the team has to play with what they have, people need to step up.

sundown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
sundown said:
...Chris Simms would have been better.

Because Simms has done what? Gotten injured & then released the following year. And now? 12 career TDs & 17 INTs, riding pine in TEN. Not looking good for an '03 draft pick.

Maybe you missed Culpepper destroy MIA all by himself in a game last year. 2 pass TDs & 3 rush TDs. Then Josh McCown got healthy again & Russell was gaining confidence so OAK had no use for DC anymore.
No one has has any use for DC,do they,Ten could have gotten Dc had they chosen to do so apparently they felt Simms was a better choice.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
GBstock said:
Please don't tell people to "give it a rest". I believe this forum is to give people a podium to speak.
The fact is Thompson "gambled" away our shot at a Super Bowl this season. You don't get many shots. He gets credit when the team is successful (last season he won executive of the year). He needs to get ripped when he acts in such an irresponsible manner as he has since he signed his extension.

How many SB have the Packers been to in the last 10 years?

and yes he should be ripped a new a@@

but the F$^$ing season isnt even half over with yet

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Veretax said:
DoddPower said:

A good GM tries to fill his roster with plenty of Quality depth so that they can plug pieces in and keep going. Injuries haven't prevented the Steelers from going 3-1 although its debatable how far they will go. The Titans lost their Starting QB and are humming along. No We have depth at a few positions (WR being one of them, at Corner/Dbacks, and Oline, although I question the quality there), but not in some others (Running Backs, Linebackers, DLine, Quarterback being key). I'm really hoping Grant was not a one hit wonder right now.

Now I honestly believe that Thompson was planning on this team regressing, and if you think that's possible, given our record in 2007, then yeah maybe this is not unexpected. However, the reality is even if Favre was here it wouldn't be enough. The team is been out of sync on both sides of the ball. Yes Injuries play a factor, and should lesson criticism of the team, but like it or not, it is the Management that has to work to make sure we have depth to step in when this happens.

Case in point look at the Redskins, Last Year. Their Starting QB Jason Campbell went down with an Injury, boom in comes the veteran Todd Collins, and he leads them back to the Playoffs. They lost perhaps one of the best safeties to ever play the game, murdered in his own house, yet in steps Laron Landry, and look how their secondary is now. That hasn't always been the case with that team though. They lost Their Starting Right Guard and Tackle in the first two games. Jon Jansen against Miami, and Randy Thomas against Philadelphia. They had troubles on the O-line, but somehow they mustered enough emotion to make it in as a Wild Card.

Now I'm not ready to write the Packers off just yet, this team still has time to pull it together, but unlike the Skins of 07, we don't have a Todd Collins, Kerry Collins, or any other veteran backing us up. If Rodgers go down, things will be just that tougher. The injuries on Defense are not going to help us win games either.

So, what can we conclude from this? Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. By revealing where some of our depth is lacking or perhaps not as good as we thought, we can work to fix those problems before the Trade Deadline, or quite possibly, in the draft next year. I'd really like to have seen a before and after of how many expected to make the play offs with Aaron Rodgers this year. I'd have been a bit nervous about saying that even though he has shown some sparks. So let's not throw in the towel or give up on this team yet. Yes we have injuries, and yes management is responsible for what we have on the roster, but in the end, the team has to play with what they have, people need to step up.

I'll tell anyone I so choose to "give it a rest" because I get sick of hearing the same ole illogical argument over and over again. Some things were tried, they didn't work out. Sometimes that happens.

And as far as the redskins example with Todd Colins. So what? He came in and played good for like three games and once teams got some more film on him they shut him down and they were toast. Still didn't make it anywhere close to the super bowl. If you guys honestly think that have some mediocre backup would push us over the edge, you are dreaming.

For the titans, Vince Young isn't that good anyway. I'm sorry, he's not. Collins should have been starting a LONG time ago. Let's not forget they have an amazing defense, a great offensive line, and two great running backs. That sure does take a lot of stress off of the quarterback.

So are you guys telling me if he signed a veteran QB you guys would be happy? I'm not saying he shouldn't have, but that's not going to win us the super bowl. Thompson knows that and decided to gamble and have three potentially starting quarterbacks on his roster. They probably won't win a super bowl for us this year, and neither would a lame veteran, so we're in the same spot in that respect no matter what.

If you want to argue the dept on the rest of the team then feel free. But that is a decision that has been made by the entire organization, NOT JUST TED THOMPSON. We do have good depth in several places. Our nickle back Tramon Williams is pretty darn good for a young guy. Rouse has the potential to be a starting safety. Jenkings, before he got hurt, was playing dominant. Jolly isn't bad either. We have four quality starting linebackers, possible more. The only area I question is the offensive line. If we had a punishing offensive line, not only could we score more and protect Rodger's, but we could keep our defense off the field longer. But who know's, Sitton may yet turn out to be a mauler and our answer at one guard position.

Like I said, the season isn't over and it's funny watching many of your overreact. Thompson has done a solid job so far and it's hard to deny that. Switching from a legend QB to a new starter will have it's growing pains and that was stated in the beginning. This franchise is concerned about putting a winning team on the field that makes it to the playoffs for the 5-8 years + after we start to gel. Ask the New York Giants, all that matter's is that you get to the playoffs and anything can happen from there.

We'll be ok guys. It's not the end of the world.

GBstock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
GBstock said:

So.....what are you saying? "yes he should be ripped a new a@@" or "the F.... season isn't half over yet"? I'm not following your logic. Should we be ripping him or is it too early. You seem to be advocating both.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
GBstock said:
longtimefan said:
GBstock said:

So.....what are you saying? "yes he should be ripped a new a@@" or "the F.... season isn't half over yet"? I'm not following your logic. Should we be ripping him or is it too early. You seem to be advocating both.

Sigh

he should be ripped a new one if it turns out to be a bad season..

but the season isnt even half over with

Didnt think it was that hard to understand

sorry if I confuse people

GBstock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem to have an attitude. I was just asking for a legitimate clarification.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GBstock said:
DoddPower said:

And why is it that anyone that disagrees with your and several other peoples opinions is wrong? Are you the GM or Commisioner of the NFL? No? Well then let everyone else have their opinion also. Enough said.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
GBstock said:
You seem to have an attitude. I was just asking for a legitimate clarification.

and I gave one did I not?

I also said i was sorry if I confused people..

LOL

What else am I suppose to do?

No "tude" here..

Sometimes reading peoples posts online is not a true indication of how they want to be perceived...Again

SORRY!!

Members online

Latest posts