Injuries

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder if the league will keep these rules going forward as Green Bay is potentially getting 4 starters and several top backups back for the playoffs. Maybe tweak them to run season ending through the season but refresh at the start of the post season.
Personally I like them as is now. Much like MLB's 15, 30, 90 day disabled lists. Or however the DL is counted.
Yes, I have been saying that for months now. This gives a team that gets hit by a lot of injuries a chance to recover some of those players. The 2021 Packers will be both a "shining example of keeping the rules as they are now" or some teams might use the Packers situation as "this isn't fair, the Packers won the SB because of it."

I understand that they don't want teams stock piling guys on the IR, but considering you can't return anyone that was placed on the IR BEFORE the 53 man squad is announced in Sept., it really shouldn't be a big problem. These guys for the most part are getting paid by the team, while they are on IR, so why can't they come back?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if the league will keep these rules going forward as Green Bay is potentially getting 4 starters and several top backups back for the playoffs. Maybe tweak them to run season ending through the season but refresh at the start of the post season.
Personally I like them as is now. Much like MLB's 15, 30, 90 day disabled lists. Or however the DL is counted.
There's no down-side to keeping these rules in place, is there? More players on the PS mean more players getting paid, and they have the ability to earn active-roster pay (4x PS salary for rookies, up to 6x for vets) for up to 3 weeks... much more if they're signed to the 53 for extended play. Teams have incredible flexibility to field a competitive team throughout the season. Players don't dread IR knowing that they can get pulled-off when they're healthy.

Reaction score
Yes, I have been saying that for months now. This gives a team that gets hit by a lot of injuries a chance to recover some of those players. The 2021 Packers will be both a "shining example of keeping the rules as they are now" or some teams might use the Packers situation as "this isn't fair, the Packers won the SB because of it."

I understand that they don't want teams stock piling guys on the IR, but considering you can't return anyone that was placed on the IR BEFORE the 53, really shouldn't be a big problem. These guys for the most part are getting paid by the team, while they are on IR, so why can't they come back?
Just get me Elgton
All my prayers will have been answered!
I will even hold a sign on a street corner for an hour in a Purple Gorilla suit that says

The Captain Wins! I’m a putz!”

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no down-side to keeping these rules in place, is there?
Just the stock piling of "healthy players". Which was why they originally made it so that you could only bring back 1 or 2 guys. I agree with your rationale though, especially with the 17th game and potentially an 18th game. Baseball, Basketball and Hockey all have farm teams that they can stockpile guys in, if it happens a bit in Football, I really don't care. You still have the cap limit to keep teams honest.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just get me Elgton
All my prayers will have been answered!
I will even hold a sign on a street corner for an hour in a Purple Gorilla suit that says

The Captain Wins! I’m a putz!”
Now that would take a parting of the sea and a new world created in....3 days to have happen.

I think that unless they delay the playoffs and SB until .....Oct....Jenkins won't be back this season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Edge Whitney Mercilus returned to practice today and is expected to be on the field for the divisional round...this just keeps getting better and better I had completely forgot about Mercilus

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now they need to decide who gets culled from the 53 man roster to make room for them.
Good question. Also, they might look at it and say; "Did they orchestrate that to give them a larger player pool at the end of the regular season?" It was actually amazing that all these guys are getting well at exactly the same time, isn't it? ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Apparently Edge Whitney Mercilus returned to practice today and is expected to be on the field for the divisional round...this just keeps getting better and better I had completely forgot about Mercilus
****Gently nudges quick and points to all the posts above****

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now they need to decide who gets culled from the 53 man roster to make room for them.

Good question. Also, they might look at it and say; "Did they orchestrate that to give them a larger player pool at the end of the regular season?" It was actually amazing that all these guys are getting well at exactly the same time, isn't it? ;)
I think it was smart to play it safe, as long as the team was winning. Maybe some of these guys could have gotten back a bit earlier, but as long as the W's kept piling up, I am sure the goal was to have them fully healthy by the playoffs. Smart player management if that was the case.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hahaha oh I see...

Reaction score

I don’t why your post reminded me of Greg Brady and the Bunch

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was smart to play it safe, as long as the team was winning. Maybe some of these guys could have gotten back a bit earlier, but as long as the W's kept piling up, I am sure the goal was to have them fully healthy by the playoffs. Smart player management if that was the case.
I agree. They were playing within the rules set forth by the league but I could see some teams seeing it as stockpiling talent and I could see some tweaking going forward. As a fan watching this develop all season long I have no problem with it but an opponent seeing the Packers active roster now compared to just a few weeks ago I can see where they might think there was something funny going on. With this influx of talent it just seems dirty somehow. Like something Bill Belichick would do that would end up with a gate after it.

As far as I am concerned we could go with F.U.gate

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't doubt for a minute that the Packers used this IR situation to their advantage. They didn't have to rush them back, and hit pay dirt. If nobody else did it, they obviously didn't have the huge number of injuries the Packers did. Nobody was crying for our team when the injuries and Covid bug hit, they just said; "Play through it! You're big boys!" In the meantime, when it hit other teams, it was; "We'll give you extra time to get your team ready."

Now, let's see if it helps us win a Lombardi.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. They were playing within the rules set forth by the league but I could see some teams seeing it as stockpiling talent and I could see some tweaking going forward. As a fan watching this develop all season long I have no problem with it but an opponent seeing the Packers active roster now compared to just a few weeks ago I can see where they might think there was something funny going on. With this influx of talent it just seems dirty somehow. Like something Bill Belichick would do that would end up with a gate after it.

As far as I am concerned we could go with F.U.gate
tampa just signed two players that weren't even on their team. I agree with Poker that these rules on the IR should stay in place.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is still a game day active roster number correct? I wonder who sits and are these guys all going to push players out who have played well? I suspect guys that J Alx, and the two pass rushers will replace guys who are special team guys, and these guys wont be on special teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
are these guys all going to push players out who have played well?
You mean the guys who got a chance to play due to the other guys getting injured?

I would say that all the guys coming back, with maybe the exception of Myers, are far better than the guys who took their place. Patrick has done a really nice job at Center, but he will be able to flex into another position if needed. Rasul Douglas, has been really good, but I don't see Jaire taking all that many snaps away from him because of how well Rasul has played. Same with OLB....Z Dog and Mercilus, much better than Garvin and Galeai.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean the guys who got a chance to play due to the other guys getting injured?

I would say that all the guys coming back, with maybe the exception of Myers, are far better than the guys who took their place. Patrick has done a really nice job at Center, but he will be able to flex into another position if needed. Rasul Douglas, has been really good, but I don't see Jaire taking all that many snaps away from him because of how well Rasul has played. Same with OLB....Z Dog and Mercilus, much better than Garvin and Galeai.

The best guys should play or be active but what happens when you have 8 guys at 1 position who are all better than some 2nd and 3rd stringers at other positions. You need depth there too.

I'm sure it will be hard for some like Douglas or the O linemen who played so admirably to take on a reduced role but I think all these guys realize that they were playing because the starters got hurt and I think they will be professionals about it. Douglas has earned a share of the snaps but guys like Garvin and Galeai, even though they contributed, know their role.

Members online

Latest posts