Injuries killing us...again

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone needs to find a cure for the injury bug we have had the last 4-5 years. In 2010 we found some gems hidden on the practice squad and buried in the active roster that helped win the SB. Franklin hasn't lived up to the hype with his fumbling and inconsistent play. Ross was cut. Micah Hyde is showing his worth along with Bakhtiari, and Banjo. Who are some other candidates you think will step up this season and lead us to another SB?.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
October 19th, 2013

GREEN BAY – Kevin Greene was only joking. When things get as bad as they have for the Green Bay Packers’ linebacking corps, well, what else can you do?
“It was kind of freaky. I had some shoulder pads and a helmet actually in my locker this morning,” the Packers outside linebackers coach said with a laugh Friday afternoon. “What are they trying to say?”

While the 51-year-old Greene isn’t coming out of retirement for Sunday’s game against the Cleveland Browns – although, the Pro Football Hall of Fame nominee is the NFL’s all-time leader in sacks by a linebacker (160), and he’s in good enough shape that he just might be able to still get after the quarterback – the team’s alarming lack of depth both inside and outside is no joke.

The Packers will already be without outside linebacker Clay Matthews (broken thumb), inside linebacker Brad Jones (hamstring) and outside linebacker Nick Perry (foot), all of whom have been ruled out. Outside linebacker Mike Neal (bruised shoulder) is listed as questionable after not practicing all week. And top backup inside linebacker Robert Francois (ruptured Achilles’) is on season-ending injured reserve.

www.ESPNWisconsin.com

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franklin is a 3rd down back, and I think he has turned out to be pretty darn good considering. Your inconsistent player is Banjo. There is still hope for him though. If you are looking for an answer as to players that could shine in a super bowl run? I don't see it this year. Boykin comes to mind. If he starts turning the corner and running good routes, things could change. If Malumba or Barrington have any impact, the same could be said. I don't think it is unrealistic to say there are just too many injuries this year to be a SB contender. I am a realist, playoffs yes, SB no, unless the almighty heals the walking wounded.

12theTruth

Franklin is a 3rd down back, and I think he has turned out to be pretty darn good considering. Your inconsistent player is Banjo. There is still hope for him though. If you are looking for an answer as to players that could shine in a super bowl run? I don't see it this year. Boykin comes to mind. If he starts turning the corner and running good routes, things could change. If Malumba or Barrington have any impact, the same could be said. I don't think it is unrealistic to say there are just too many injuries this year to be a SB contender. I am a realist, playoffs yes, SB no, unless the almighty heals the walking wounded.

What we will be having is some players who are typically primarily on special teams playing large minutes on defense and pulling double duty in some cases on special teams. Last week Davon House tired and was replaced by Micah Hyde by Capers. I'm afraid fatigue will set in even though these guys are blessed with youth. Execution is crucial against the Browns. No margin for error AT ALL.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Execution is crucial against the Browns. No margin for error AT ALL.

It turns out that there was margin for error. The Packers played well, but not error free by any stretch. Though it wasn't a blowout, it wasn't close either.

12theTruth

It turns out that there was margin for error. The Packers played well, but not error free by any stretch. Though it wasn't a blowout, it wasn't close either.

True, but it turns out that Weeden is even worse than expected. Even average QB play would have stood a chance at an upset. Hoyer would have changed the entire complexion of the game.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Agreed that Weeden didn't look good, but the whole Offensive unit lacked, no? Dropped passes, minimal threat at RB... Just not a lot of talent on that squad.

I didn't ever get nervous during this game. If it wasn't for the poor ST play, I doubt the Browns ever would have gotten close to the red zone. And this isn't all on Weeden.