In your face rex!

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly it'll never shut up Rex the Wonder Windbag. Revis only came in 5th. Sure would be nice to have him opposite Woodson though.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I'm a gonna let you finish, but Revis had a great year...".

Rex reminded me of a rapper who couldn't get over it when his girl didn't win. So much for "gracious".

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
"I'm a gonna let you finish, but Revis had a great year...".

Rex reminded me of a rapper who couldn't get over it when his girl didn't win. So much for "gracious".

:lol:

I love Kanye.

So we're not letting this whole Rex Ryan thing go yet? I'd be surprised that we're holding grudges, but people still prattle on about Favre so it's nothing new. We need to let things go, people. Goos fraba or whatever Jack Nicholson says in Anger Management.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of holding grudges but the Jets play the Packers next season and Rex's quotes certainly should make it to the locker room bulletin board.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rex Ryan is just a loud mouthed big boy from NYC. To be honest I think he uses that and thinks that it works for him, instead of being smart about what he says. . .he just blurts random thoughts out there and that's why he'll never look classy.

I think since he's in a big city, he knows he's going to have people on his back about things saying things just as rude about himself if/when he fails. . .but since they're still in the playoffs and not looking really all that bad. . . he's going to run his mouth for as long as he can and he'll think that other NYC people will support him.

I don't care for the man, I prefer a lot more classy of a person when it comes to a head coach of an organization. He makes the Jets look like a joke when he talks. I can't wait to play him next season.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jalen Rose said it best yesterday on ESPN's First and 10. Ryan is brash, but all of his talking right now is geared towards building a certain culture in the Jets locker room. They've had some rough years lately, but can talk like the best of them and he is using that to back and instill confidence in his guys. Coaches do this in the locker room, and of course Rex does too, but he has taken it a step further. It may make Rex look like a bad guy but what matters is how his team responds. If he is able to establish the culture he is striving for we won't hear this stuff from him anymore.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jalen Rose said it best yesterday on ESPN's First and 10. Ryan is brash, but all of his talking right now is geared towards building a certain culture in the Jets locker room. They've had some rough years lately, but can talk like the best of them and he is using that to back and instill confidence in his guys. Coaches do this in the locker room, and of course Rex does too, but he has taken it a step further. It may make Rex look like a bad guy but what matters is how his team responds. If he is able to establish the culture he is striving for we won't hear this stuff from him anymore.
Like Jerome Bettis said, this kind of talk is nice for the defense, and while kept in the locker room. But for his young and erratic offense, once they start failing, suddenly "their season is over", as he said himself.

This kind of motivational tricks are short lived. Once they loose, it all falls apart.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever he is saying is working. His team just knocked off a far more talented and red hot team on the road. Sounds like a lot of sour grapes that he is backing his guy for an award a Packer won.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, yes they knocked off the Chargers but the Chargers' receivers seemed to be catching the ball. Kaeding just couldn't hit a field goal and he's supposed to be the most accurate in the league so we shouldn't be too quick to give up on Crosby. I think it all comes down to - and I live in the SD area - Norv Turner is a loser. I told everyone when they hired him that he's a loser and I've been proven correct. Good offensive coordinator but a loser as a head coach.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever he is saying is working. His team just knocked off a far more talented and red hot team on the road. Sounds like a lot of sour grapes that he is backing his guy for an award a Packer won.

I dont think its sour grapes on packers supporter at all. The guy flat out **** on Woodson. I am all for a guy standing up for his players, he should. But you dont need to **** on another player who earned it just to try and ******** your players and cry in front of the media to try and motivate them.

The guy is a simply a pile of ****.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that the Jets will make it after this, after being in a close game with Philip Rivers I think that the Jets defense will collapse under Peyton Manning. And we all know that Mark Sanchez isn't really a comeback QB.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think its sour grapes on packers supporter at all. The guy flat out **** on Woodson. I am all for a guy standing up for his players, he should. But you dont need to **** on another player who earned it just to try and ******** your players and cry in front of the media to try and motivate them.

The guy is a simply a pile of ****.

You'll need to enlighten me here because I've only seen a few groups of quotes from Rex on this and none would I consider "******** on" Woodson. I saw him resort to hyperbole, saying that Revis played at a historically good level. I saw him saying that people need to look at less obvious statistics when evaluating cornerbacks. And the one you are likely referring to said that, while the Packer D was getting destroyed by the Cardinals, the Jets D only allowed 8 passing TDs all season long - and that Revis was the reason for that.

Nowhere does he say, from what I read, that Woodson didn't deserve the award - meaning that his level of play was not worthy of these kinds of accolades. He just thought that his guy deserved it more, and he said so more directly and brashly than we are used to coaches say these things.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was really his remarks around congratulating the people who voted for Revis because they know football and by implication those who voted for Woodson didn't know anything. Also he took a slap at the Packers D and had nothing good to say about Woodson who also won the Sporting News DPOY which was voted on by players, coaches and NFL execs. Fine to say good things about your guy but it's no class to take a shot at the guy who won.

I'm sure his remarks will be up on the board when the Packers play the Jets next season.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His way of putting this was pretty snarky, but in the context he said it he never downplayed anything that Woodson did to deserve it. He really just said the people who evaluate more in depth numbers to evaluate production, the ones that don't show up in the boxscore, are the guys that know football. And Revis was off the charts in those in depth numbers.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelanator, how do you keep defending this? If you were told "you don't know anything", you'd be fine with it? Saying that to the people who voted for Woodson is taking a shot at their credibility and judgment. I know you BF fans agree with that since Faver wasn't voted as the MVP, but seriously?

Techno

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all I know is this guy is a rookie coach with a rookie quarterback in the AFC championship game. That is something that is only dreamed of.

Why isn't McCarthy as good as him? We have way better talent all around, yet McCarthy can't get us to the biggest game? he has had two legit shots and failed.

Right now i would say that I would take Rex Ryan over our coach any day.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing you accounted for the Personnel on each teams. For a second I thought you were sayin' something crazy.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelanator, how do you keep defending this? If you were told "you don't know anything", you'd be fine with it? Saying that to the people who voted for Woodson is taking a shot at their credibility and judgment. I know you BF fans agree with that since Faver wasn't voted as the MVP, but seriously?

I'm not a Brett Favre fan, I'm a Viking fan. And your last sentence doesn't even make a lick of sense in the context of this discussion.

As for your first sentence, you nailed my point only you don't seem to realize it. He took a shot at the voters, not at Woodson. Nowhere did he demean Woodson's performance this year, he's just saying his guy is better when you look at the things that he believes are most important when deciding who is the DMVP.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that hard to understand my last sentence. AP people voted for Woodson as DPOY, before that they voted for Manning as MVP. Lot of moaning about BF not getting the MVP and etc. Did he actually clarify what he meant or are you providing what you think he meant? From what I remember of that Press Conference, he basically said people who voted for Woodson didn't know anything and said that the Jets D only gave up 8 TD's the whole season. That's great, but that's a team effort. McCarthy might as well defend him by saying Woodson was great in run defense and the Pack were number one in run d. If I missed something Rex said that matches up to what you said, then my apologies.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understood your last sentence, but it had nothing to do with anything we are talking about.

Here are the quotes.

"You know what I would like? I would like to congratulate the people who voted for Darrelle Revis," Ryan told reporters in New York. "These guys obviously really know the game."

Added Ryan: "A number that I think is interesting would be eight, and no, that's not the amount of touchdown passes that Green Bay gave up against Arizona. That is the number of touchdown passes we gave up all season at the Jets, and the biggest reason for that is Darrelle Revis."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/01/12/2010-01-12_revis_finishes_second.html

There was a jab at the Packers there, as I acknowledged, but everything was blown out of proportion.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understood your last sentence, but it had nothing to do with anything we are talking about.

Here are the quotes.

"You know what I would like? I would like to congratulate the people who voted for Darrelle Revis," Ryan told reporters in New York. "These guys obviously really know the game."

Added Ryan: "A number that I think is interesting would be eight, and no, that's not the amount of touchdown passes that Green Bay gave up against Arizona. That is the number of touchdown passes we gave up all season at the Jets, and the biggest reason for that is Darrelle Revis."

Rex Ryan fumes as Charles Woodson beats out Darrelle Revis as NFL's Defensive Player of the Year

There was a jab at the Packers there, as I acknowledged, but everything was blown out of proportion.
Because, though Ryan is doing a marvelous job as a coach, it must be luck. The man doesn't know that there're 11 men on the field trying to defend, and it's not 1 on 1...

And I also liked the tittle of the article. No. Charles Woodson didn't finish 1st. Darelle Revis finished 2nd... It was a Jets article, but nonetheless...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay I guess it's more of a jab at the people who chose Woodson. Rex is an idiot still.

As for my last sentence, I guess you and I translate "you don't know anything" differently. I take that as saying someone had poor judgment and it's a shot at their credibility because if he they did have credibility, they would've voted for Woodson. If that makes any sense

Members online

Latest posts