improved defence

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that appears to pass the eye test this season is what happens after a big play. Past seasons if the def gave up a big play such as 40 yards on a 3rd and 1 late in the game or a fourth down conversion, it was almost a guarantee they opp would get a TD within a few plays. The defense would look confused or lost more than forgetting and playing. I fully expected it after the 40 yard shuttle pass last week. Pleasantly surprised they stiffened in the red zone and kept SF from a TD.

D

Deleted member 6794

We've played great RB's, running quarterbacks and pocket passers this year already so the only thing I'd still like to see them perform against is an elite QB like Brady, because Rodgers and him seem on a completely different level than everyone else this year.

It´s possible the Packers won´t face an elite QB until the playoffs this season depending on Romo´s status for week 14´s matchup.

I would also add that I think Shields is playing better so far than he did last year.

Shields had a rough day during the season opener at Chicago but has been very solid since.

Anybody think that Peppers has helped a lot as well?

Peppers hasn´t been as good this season as he was in 2014 but he for sure has helped the Packers defense. His presence is an important reason Capers is able to play Matthews inside most of the time.

In 2014 we ranked 23rd against the run and this year we rank 21st

If you measure it by yards per carry we are 30th in the league and last year we were 20th

The Packers run defense was terrible against the Bears but has been vastly improved since. Over the last three weeks the Packers have given up an average of 90.3 rushing yards per game which would rank 8th in the NFL.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
AHAH! BUT is this rank a reflection of our run defense or is it a reflection of schedule? How many other teams have had their numbers inflated by running quarterbacks?
Stop that. You're only allowed to use the "reflection of schedule" argument to call into question the success of either our offensive or defensive players here on this forum.

Edit: It's clear that this defense passes the eye test. Imo, the sample size is too small to rely on statistical analysis. They are getting 3 and outs, not giving up lots of huge plays and long drives. They are getting plentyof negative yardage plays. Capers changes appear to have helped. The dynamic play of Raji and Daniels is setting the tone early in every game it seems. If it continues, we'll be very difficult to beat every week.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Since we're piling on kudos for the defense, I might as well add another.

Up to the middle of the second quarter, Kaepernick had scrambles and called runs for 12, 9, 3, 4 (called back for holding), 17 (reduced to 10 yards on a penalty), and 14 yards with 0 sacks.

From the 6 minute mark of the second quarter, starting with the Perry/Elliott back-to-back red zone sacks, the scrambles and runs were 3, -1, 7 and 5 yards with 6 sacks.

Adjustments were made, something that's been largely missing over the past 4 season, and it didn't even take until halftime. Further, what you didn't see in the SF game was the level of pursuit and gang tackling in the earlier games with evidently greater assignment discipline, appropriate to the opponent. That wouldn't work unless guys are making one-on-one tackles or at least solid hits until support arrives.

It's still early, and unqualified praise one week has a bad habit of looking foolish the next, but this defense is working it's way toward a balance of coherence and aggression that one can't help but like.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha looks like an all pro. even without burnett backing him.

but just as i said many times. it all starts with 3 elite guys doing the job of 4. a nose that forces the double, and still gets a push. force of nature, aka raji. and two dominant dts beside him doing the same thing. we have this in daniels raji guion. lbs like peppers and mathews break the offensive backs. now our secondary swarms, not allowing short dump offs. haha is everywhere. guys like elliot, perry, neal are after thoughts until they are pouncing on their qb... when guion settles in, we will dominate

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
but just as i said many times. it all starts with 3 elite guys doing the job of 4.
How often has the Packers D lined up with 3 DL vs. their nickel or dime packages? If you're right and the reason for the Packers success on D is 3 elite DL (which they don't have of course), it must be the majority of the time, right?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how long have all 3 been available? and i would say daniels/raji/guion will be a top tier d-line as a whole. having just 2 has been a huge difference maker. the best is yet to come.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
how long have all 3 been available? and i would say daniels/raji/guion will be a top tier d-line as a whole. having just 2 has been a huge difference maker. the best is yet to come.
So you are predicting from now on (with Guion available) the majority of snaps for the Packers D will be in their base D?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In 2014 we ranked 23rd against the run and this year we rank 21st

If you measure it by yards per carry we are 30th in the league and last year we were 20th

After 4 games --lets see what we have after 10

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going solely on memory, after Forte ran all over us in the opener, I believe we held all of Lynch, Charles, and Hyde almost completely in check yard wise. The mobility of the last 3 quarterbacks has contributed to us giving up a lot of yards on the ground there. So while allowing a lot of rushing yards from a QB is obviously not a good thing, the rankings for our run D right now are very deceiving.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are predicting from now on (with Guion available) the majority of snaps for the Packers D will be in their base D?
The base will be a much better option. It hasn't been one in years imo. If capers wants to make a power move, and dictate the offense, he will. Play the destructive guys, and own the trenches. The lack of quality safetys with Richardson out, and burnettout. Hyde not in nickel. We will probably get a taste of our base this week. I hope we do see it. We need more of it!

D

Deleted member 6794

The base will be a much better option. It hasn't been one in years imo. The lack of quality safetys with Richardson out, and burnettout. Hyde not in nickel. We will probably get a taste of our base this week. I hope we do see it. We need more of it!

The base defense isn't an option against three WR sets as you don't want a safety having to cover a receiver.

The Packers are fine with Clinton-Dix and Hyde lining up at safety while Hayward and Rollins play the slot in nickel and dime.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel we could dictate that 3wr set would put their qb at risk. With our best 3 dlinemen and our two hall of fame lbs. Our 4 secondary are high quality ball hawks... Guys like Elliot, Neal, Perry, Jones taking turns making impact plays. I think we have the ability finally to dictate a game with our defense. It all is possible with 3 destructive guys up front who force the double team, and the lbs cleaning up. That pressure will work against most qbs.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The base defense isn't an option against three WR sets as you don't want a safety having to cover a receiver.

The Packers are fine with Clinton-Dix and Hyde lining up at safety while Hayward and Rollins play the slot in nickel and dime.
Hyde will be that safety...I'm OK with Hyde covering a 3wr, while the qb is being pressured.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hyde will be that safety...I'm OK with Hyde covering a 3wr, while the qb is being pressured.

By pressuring the QB and having the strong safety play man coverage against a receiver the defense becomes vulnerable against run.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Going solely on memory, after Forte ran all over us in the opener, I believe we held all of Lynch, Charles, and Hyde almost completely in check yard wise. The mobility of the last 3 quarterbacks has contributed to us giving up a lot of yards on the ground there. So while allowing a lot of rushing yards from a QB is obviously not a good thing, the rankings for our run D right now are very deceiving.

Yes Lynch was 41
Wilson had 78...
Charles was about 49...
Hyde had 20..Colin had 57, but most game in 1st few rushes..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Sky King

Reaction score
He's been critical of Hawk for a while now listening to his podcasts from the past couple of years. McGinn appears to have been right all along about Hawk being a weak-link.

A most pleasant surprise has been the play of Palmer.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn is far from perfect and has made some really odd (too be kind) assertions the past couple of years (like the Pack being able to win without ARod right before he got injured and they failed to win and how the Bears were constructing a solid squad right before they imploded).

However, unlike most of the rest of the Wisconsin press, McGinn is not afraid to state his points whether they offend certain sensibilities or not. Hawk was always treated like the fair-haired boy by the majority of the press (and apparently coaches to read what CJ Wilson, BJ Raji, and always the loyal soldier Ryan Pickett say about him) despite the fact he underperformed and was vastly overpaid (on his second contract).

I could be wrong, but the only other member of the press who was even mildly critical of Hawk while he was in GB was the irascible Bill Johnson who when his partner on Green & Gold today Jason Wilde would invariably make an excuse for AJ's subpar play (he is hiding an injury, how can you expect Hawk to cover a back or TE that is not his forte, the DLine is not doing its job, etc.), would simply respond I just don't think he is any good.

It has been a revelation to me watching Palmer & Joe Thomas make plays that AJ never did while collectively taking home a fraction of Hawk's 2014 salary.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our DL is playing lights out and getting push up front. Our entire front 7 is playing physical football.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're just better all the around. Better on the line, better at linebacker. Wilson and Pickett can say what they want, maybe the schemes were being called because of their "strengths"? I highly doubt this defense was called and built to feature AJ Hawk. If Raji is correct, then maybe if he did his job better, the unit would have performed better. For a guy mean to eat up blockers, he let one guy take him 5 yards off the LOS repreatedly a few years ago. Maybe he should have played a bit more inspired football? Easy to blame a a guy that isn't around anymore for the failure of an entire unit.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we're just better all the around. Better on the line, better at linebacker. Wilson and Pickett can say what they want, maybe the schemes were being called because of their "strengths"? I highly doubt this defense was called and built to feature AJ Hawk. If Raji is correct, then maybe if he did his job better, the unit would have performed better. For a guy mean to eat up blockers, he let one guy take him 5 yards off the LOS repreatedly a few years ago. Maybe he should have played a bit more inspired football? Easy to blame a a guy that isn't around anymore for the failure of an entire unit.

While there's no doubt Hawk wasn't the only one to blame for the defense's shortcomings over the last few years it was pretty obvious he was a huge part if the problem.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no kidding, we could all see it. He knew where to be, wanted to get there, but his body wouldn't take him. He's really never been anymore than a guy trying to do what they asked him. somethings he did well, some not. He wasn't a super start, he wasn't a scrub either. I don't see the need for an article like this because I am certain, no matter what the other players may perceive was the issue, THEY were part of it too and this defense was not centered around Hawk. and he's gone, and we have a lot of new guys, young guys stepping up and old guys playing with new passion. There are 100 reasons why this defense is better, from schemes, players on the field, communications, etc. Another thing to note, also gone are Ryan Pickett and CJ Wilson and here they are in an article blaming a linebacker. Irony at its best.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see the need for an article like this because I am certain, no matter what the other players may perceive was the issue, THEY were part of it too and this defense was not centered around Hawk. and he's gone, and we have a lot of new guys, young guys stepping up and old guys playing with new passion. There are 100 reasons why this defense is better, from schemes, players on the field, communications, etc. Another thing to note, also gone are Ryan Pickett and CJ Wilson and here they are in an article blaming a linebacker. Irony at its best.

You don't have to read the article if it doesn't provide any meaningful information for you. I'm quite sure some other posters find it interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts