improved defence

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably just me getting old, then. I always remember arguments about which player is best/worst based on stats; how finishing in a certain place affected the team's chances for a title, why draft choices are good/bad based on measurables, et. al. Perhaps all is just opinion without trying to prove anything with numbers. Each to his own.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Probably just me getting old, then. I always remember arguments about which player is best/worst based on stats; how finishing in a certain place affected the team's chances for a title, why draft choices are good/bad based on measurables, et. al. Perhaps all is just opinion without trying to prove anything with numbers. Each to his own.

IF we agree you are just getting old, is that continuing a disagreement, or agreeing to disagree ?? :whistling:. I merely said I grew up watching a sport that didn`t emphasize the importance of statistics. I have no problem with anybody finding statistics important.

NCcheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This++++++

I always wondered if Capers history of initial success followed by steady decline stemmed in part from his installation of a comparatively simpler fire zone defense in his first 2 seasons. That the periods of decline were a mix of losing very good players and Capers installing too many concepts.

Capers always struck me as a brilliant Defensive mind, but more professor than Coach.
I agree. I watched him at Carolina and beyond and his first few years at each assignment always seem to be his best. I hope he is growing as a coach and he, as well as, this year's defense continues to improve.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe because I grew up originally watching a different sport, I don't fully understand the importance of statistics in sport. The other team can score as many points as they want, as long as as my team score one more than them I'm happy.
Sports without statistics is just a game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buggy - I think I figured out the problem. Tell us how you define statistic. I'm not much for "the Packers are 7-1 in Sunday night games after a bye week in months with 31 days", but the Pack currently is 6-0, and that's a statistic, too.

I

Buggy - I think I figured out the problem. Tell us how you define statistic. I'm not much for "the Packers are 7-1 in Sunday night games after a bye week in months with 31 days", but the Pack currently is 6-0, and that's a statistic, too.

Right I sometimes see discussions where for example, James Jones had an average of say 8 passes thrown to him in a game, but only caught 3 of those passes. The next week it might be 6 passes thrown, but only caught 2, but one of those was for TD. We may have lost the first game, but won the second.
Personally (and I say personally), I`m more concerned that we lost a game as opposed to the fact that production was higher.
Simply put, I`m more interested in winning a game than HOW we won it. If that makes me a moron, so be it, but YAC, total yardage etc, doesn`t really do it for me. I`m not taking anything away from anybody that sees it the other way.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You certainly don't need stats to appreciate the game, or to know when an aspect of the team is doing well or poorly. While understanding their limitations, I appreciate stats because they can verify - or not - our impressions of the game. For example, someone posted it seemed like every time a certain WR caught the ball it was against a certain CB. The stats showed less than one-third of the WR's catches were against that CB. That's probably happened to most of us - our initial impressions of the game don't always coincide with what really happened.

You certainly don't need stats to know what a great QB Rodgers is, but IMO stats point out how great he is as compared with all the QBs that have played the game.

I

As I said, I understand why people put emphasis on statistics, it just doesn`t fully do it for me. Maybe I`m just ignorant ?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
As I said, I understand why people put emphasis on statistics, it just doesn`t fully do it for me. Maybe I`m just ignorant ?

I don't think it is ignorance. Stats can be fashioned in such as way that an exact same stat can be used to back two very different opinions. It's the idea that a stat is in itself the affirmation of an opinion that gets to me. Sometimes, on forums like this, we even see posters get into "dueling stats" contests, to try to argue who is more correct. :roflmao:

Many years ago when I was in High School, I was on the debate team and we were debating solutions to the problem of poverty in America (40 years ago, yes). Voluminous statistics never won us a single debate, simply because the judges were too smart to be swayed by statistics alone. We had to use statistics, only as one simple aid to build a case for a logical course of action. It was more important that we present ourselves and our case as a thoughtful, logical examination of the problem.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's the idea that a stat is in itself the affirmation of an opinion that gets to me.
Of course stats aren't definitive on every issue, but you've seen impressions corrected and arguments won by using stats. The example above happened just a couple of days ago - someone thought "every time" Allen caught a pass, Randall was covering him. Stats showed Randall was covering him on 4 of his 14 receptions. If someone thinks the team is passing the ball a lot more than the previous season, or the right side of the defense is "always" giving up the biggest runs etc., stats can either confirm or correct those opinions. Stats can be, and are at times overused. IMO the majority of the time they provide evidence, not proof positive.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion has looked gassed quite easily in his 3 appearances so far. I can't help but wonder if he didn't keep himself in the best of shape over his 3 week suspension and is still catching up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion has looked gassed quite easily in his 3 appearances so far. I can't help but wonder if he didn't keep himself in the best of shape over his 3 week suspension and is still catching up.
I think it takes a while anyway, especially for the big guys. How do you replicate pounding into 300+lb'ers that push back play after play? Some guys do better than others, but I remember last year it took a few weeks too after he was basically injured the entire pre season. Week 4 or 5 he finally started to look like what they told me he was going to be last year. I expect he'll get better this year too.

I

96.7% of forum members can be smartasses at any given time :whistling:, while it has been scientifically proven that moderators are 100% right ALL of the time. And science never lies.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
guion,raji,daniels
perry,mathews,peppers
sheilds,randall, hyde,burnett, clintondix............we can cover them long enough with this secondary, to crush them with our front 6. force them to keep extra blockers back, and play our game.

Members online

Latest posts