improved defence

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wondering what people put this down to? We seem a lot better than last year and great against the run, have the players improved or has Capers finally got his act together? I also wonder if this is McCarthys influence after he stopped play calling in order to spend more time with the defence and special teams. Brilliant coaching if this is the case

D

Deleted member 6794

Wondering what people put this down to? We seem a lot better than last year and great against the run, have the players improved or has Capers finally got his act together? I also wonder if this is McCarthys influence after he stopped play calling in order to spend more time with the defence and special teams. Brilliant coaching if this is the case

The Packers defense improved during the second half of last season once Matthews moved inside. Raji playing again with a ton of energy has provided a much needed spark on the defensive line, let´s hope he´ll keep that up the entire season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd point to a couple major points. I have never felt, nor thought Capers doesn't know defense. I thought he tried to do too much with too little in terms of talent at atimes and was guilty of not altering defense to available players for a time, but never thought he didn't know defense.

At this point, we have a couple guys on the DL that are playing with some fire. Daniels is Daniels and Raji is playing like he did as a rookie, very encouraging and if it persists we should do well. and we have health in our LB corps. Neal and Perry might not be Matthews, but they play an important role. When you have to replace them with a Vic So'oto or any mulumba on one leg, the defense will suffer. and of course putting Clay in the middle to maximize his ability in situational football.

I think those are the biggest improvements. I like our young guys in the secondary too. add in a better special teams, staying ahead of the field position game, etc everything just works better when everything is working better, if that makes sense.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I think the biggest difference that I have witnessed is "speed". Gone are the slow middle LBers (Hawk, Jones) who weren't aggressive tacklers. The replacements (incl. Matthews) bring more speed and aggression and are able to play sideline-t0-sideline.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is the players that he has to work with...Give him talent and his scheme will work..

As mentioned, Clay moving, BJ playing to his ability, Neal on contract year, no Hawk, no Jones

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers is a very talented defensive coordinator. I've never seen McCarthy waiver in his support of Dom. Based on the way that our defense has fluctuated from being great (2010) to bad (2011) to mediocre (2012-14) to pretty good (2015) I'd say that it's more the players than anything. It's not like a DC has good years and bad years in his play calls. As Mondio pointed out, I also agree that Capers sometimes hits the right schemes to match the talent available. It's a hard thing for coaches to have a scheme, a style, and then to conform that scheme/style to the players available. My biggest fault on Dom has always been his slowness in adapting to what TT gives him (and what injury takes away) but once he does get things dialed in correctly he's a very effective DC.

Capers knows the right path but sometimes his horses aren't capable enough to pull the wagon.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here´s an interesting article out of today´s Journal Sentinel looking at the reduced playbook and shorter calls on defense this season:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...mplify-the-defense-b99591848z1-331183831.html
This is a great article. One thing that Casey Hayward said stuck out at me:
"That's some of the things we talk about in our exit interviews. The coaches, they listen to those things. And we've been able to do a good job this year and have a lot less mental errors than what we normally have."
I hope that they make adjustments like this more often than once per year. They should at least do a mid-season "exit interview" before players go away for a week so that coaches can get better feedback mid-season. Granted, you can't change the communication system mid season but there are likely many tweaks that may not get to the coaching staff in time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope that they make adjustments like this more often than once per year. They should at least do a mid-season "exit interview" before players go away for a week so that coaches can get better feedback mid-season. Granted, you can't change the communication system mid season but there are likely many tweaks that may not get to the coaching staff in time.

I think there´s constant conversation taking place between the coaching staff and the players to tweak some stuff that isn´t working.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty well summed up already it looks like. A mixture of highly drafted talent finally all consistently performing in each level of the defense, McCarthy's increased focus, less mental errors, Clay inside, a seemingly increased urgency throughout the whole team, and IMO the biggest change, the DL playing with some fire and getting in the backfield like we haven't seen here in sometime.

We've played great RB's, running quarterbacks and pocket passers this year already so the only thing I'd still like to see them perform against is an elite QB like Brady, because Rodgers and him seem on a completely different level than everyone else this year. Maybe we'll see in February;)

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have said, Raji has impressed so far, and I've also been pleasantly surprised with Eliot and Palmer. I would also add that I think Shields is playing better so far than he did last year.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense has improved, but we haven't exactly played offensive powerhouses to this point yet either.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
st year.[/QUOTE]
ok guys and gals. it all starts on the line. raji has help, and is not asked to do what everyone here said is his job as a 3-4 nt. eat blocks. sit like a stump. he has daniels. ( not a 2nd year daniels) guion now. pennel, boyd. the big boys are big and strong and quick. destructive...this is what ted abandoned. this is what capers had to work with. and this

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here´s an interesting article out of today´s Journal Sentinel looking at the reduced playbook and shorter calls on defense this season:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...mplify-the-defense-b99591848z1-331183831.html

This++++++

I always wondered if Capers history of initial success followed by steady decline stemmed in part from his installation of a comparatively simpler fire zone defense in his first 2 seasons. That the periods of decline were a mix of losing very good players and Capers installing too many concepts.

Capers always struck me as a brilliant Defensive mind, but more professor than Coach.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We have been posting on this board for quite some time that it doesn’t make sense to have a complex defensive scheme and continually have one of the youngest rosters in the league. IMO it shouldn’t have taken the expansion of the trend toward hurry up offenses – and IMO that’s mostly on Capers - but better late than never.

I think it’s interesting we spent so much time talking about Rollins and Gunter, Randall was almost an afterthought. In a thread titled “Who’s Your Sleeper”, I posted:
I don't have a sleeper in mind but love to see them emerge in TC and preseason. So here's an anti-sleeper I'm very interested in: Damarious Randall. The reason I'm bringing him up is I have been meaning to make this point: Because of the questions about him being able to play outside, he hasn't been mentioned in a positive light much here.
I then quoted Mayock’s pre-draft analysis of him: “Randall can play man-to-man; he has cornerback-level cover skills. You give up some physicality, but his coverage ability is where the NFL is going.” While Randall has made some mistakes – hardly a surprise for a rookie – I think Mayock’s analysis looks good at this point. BTW, I’m still high on Rollins, who has gotten a few snaps lately and Gunter.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok guys and gals. it all starts on the line. raji has help, and is not asked to do what everyone here said is his job as a 3-4 nt. eat blocks. sit like a stump. he has daniels. ( not a 2nd year daniels) guion now. pennel, boyd. the big boys are big and strong and quick. destructive...this is what ted abandoned. this is what capers had to work with. and this[/QUOTE]

Part of it is the way he's deployed. He more or less has the speed and quickness to play outside the guards shoulder pads, depending on his motivation level. But his rare quickness and stocky frame make him much more of a load playing between the center and the guard.

BTW Haugen I used to be Krazykroat on the old yahoo Sports Board.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2014 we ranked 23rd against the run and this year we rank 21st

If you measure it by yards per carry we are 30th in the league and last year we were 20th

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have been posting on this board for quite some time that it doesn’t make sense to have a complex defensive scheme and continually have one of the youngest rosters in the league. IMO it shouldn’t have taken the expansion of the trend toward hurry up offenses – and IMO that’s mostly on Capers - but better late than never.

I think it’s interesting we spent so much time talking about Rollins and Gunter, Randall was almost an afterthought. In a thread titled “Who’s Your Sleeper”, I posted: I think quoted Mayock’s pre-draft analysis of him: “Randall can play man-to-man; he has cornerback-level cover skills. You give up some physicality, but his coverage ability is where the NFL is going.” While Randall has made some mistakes – hardly a surprise for a rookie – I think Mayock’s analysis looks good at this point. BTW, I’m still high on Rollins, who has gotten a few snaps lately and Gunter.

I agree with you that his analysis appears spot on, but Mayock expected him to be more of a Safety. Credit the Packers coaching staff and scouts for seeing him as a corner. I guess when you see a player make a position change like Randall did and play as well as Randall did that it would stand to reason that he adjusts well. So far he has hit the ground running.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my phone sucks. anyways, where was i?:) ted abandoned the dline. capers was forced to go light, and raji was left to rot on an island. maybe harrell, worthy, and jolly stay healthy, things are different. now we jave the beef. the 3-4 starts up front!!! 3 guys doing the job of 4! i dont understand the logic of 2 down linemen? perry been a beast as well. peppers is unstopable. mathews is just as dominant. young secondary is great. but we have had great lbs and secondary the last few years. dline was weak though. its only going to get better as guion gets comfortable.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you measure it by yards per carry we are 30th in the league and last year we were 20th

AHAH! BUT is this rank a reflection of our run defense or is it a reflection of schedule? How many other teams have had their numbers inflated by running quarterbacks?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AHAH! BUT is this rank a reflection of our run defense or is it a reflection of schedule? How many other teams have had their numbers inflated by running quarterbacks?
It was just something to note. I think its important to note that we have stopped some guys that previously would have ran all over us. We still have to face AP twice so well see how the season shakes out

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The eye test says we have been much better than that. Forte getting a bunch of yards in week 1 probably killed our ranking.

Similar to the end of last season when we were still ranked close to last, but were playing much better than that.

H

HardRightEdge

I know I have been posting the above highlighted thought for quite some time, but I cannot recall much agreement on that particular point. Your past criticisms of Capers are duly noted, however.

"Amen" to better late than never.

The question is, "what took so long?" While happy to see the improved aggressiveness, with better tackling and pursuit to go with it, and "more speed, less thinking" (yes, thinking does kill speed and aggressiveness), I can't help but be more than a little p*ssed that the defensive genius couldn't see what was happening sooner. He has emerged from the rabbit hole. Happy days.

Expansion of hurry up offenses is clearly not the whole story. Was there some precipitous tipping point in the frequency of hurry up last season that brought about this change for this season? I think not.

In recent seasons we've seen the backfield in communication disarray with guys moving around at the snap even when opponents had huddled up. It was really bad when M.D. Jennings was back there; merely bad when he wasn't. I've only noticed that problem once this season on a goal line TD. D-Linemen realigning at the snap was not an uncommon sight either, again with the opponents having come out of huddles. Simply put, there was way too much thinking going on, particularly for young players, blunting speed and aggressiveness. And those wordy calls had options! There were guys out there not able to process all of that I can say with high confidence; assignments were getting lost in translation. "Too cute by half" is the way I've been describing it. Others preferred to put primary blame on the talent. ;)

Any acute observer would not take Capers "hurry up" explanation at face value. McCarthy promised "less scheme, more personnel rotations" before 2014. Rotations? Yes. Less scheme? No. Then this offseason McCarthy promised "less scheme, more pre-snap adjustments". Second time's the charm, I guess. Perhaps McCarthy's increased involvement in the defense has tipped the scales of change.

In short, having a complex defense designed to disguise and confuse doesn't get you very far if your own players are confused.
I think it’s interesting we spent so much time talking about Rollins and Gunter, Randall was almost an afterthought. In a thread titled “Who’s Your Sleeper”, I posted: I think quoted Mayock’s pre-draft analysis of him: “Randall can play man-to-man; he has cornerback-level cover skills. You give up some physicality, but his coverage ability is where the NFL is going.” While Randall has made some mistakes – hardly a surprise for a rookie – I think Mayock’s analysis looks good at this point. BTW, I’m still high on Rollins, who has gotten a few snaps lately and Gunter.
I did not like the Randall pick, specifically because he looked like a poor complement to Shields who is a spotty tackler himself. I've been pleasantly surprised with Randall's physicality; he'll never be confused with Sherman but he doesn't have to be that guy if he meets a satisfactory threshold. The early preseason ankle-biting has not been much in evidence.

That said, I do recall commenting late in the preseason that Randall might be the guy week 1. My thinking was Thompson might want to find out early what he has in his 1st. rounder, Whitt's star rating system not withstanding.

His first 2 games teams hardly picked on him. I see that as a good thing. Then Maclin beat him badly twice; fortunately one was a wide open drop on a crosser so that went largely unnoticed. He did give up the long ball last week though his coverage was sound; sometimes you just get beat by a good throw and catch. I did see him give up a lot of separation on a crosser early in the SF game. Shields tends to do the same thing, giving up inside routes. So maybe that's a scheme/coaching thing that should get more scrutiny. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts