Imagine if...

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Here we are almost a decade later, imagine if....
The Packers stuck with Brett Favre and traded away Rodgers or lost him to free agency....
Wonder how Patriots fans will feel about trading away Jimmy G in a decade from now

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would still have 1 trophy, if not more. No Rodgers means TT and his posse would be forced to build an actual team instead of relying on just 1 player. And if that team was underperforming for a few years after Favre's departure I don't think McCarthy, Capers, or TT would be around...which would also increase championship odds.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think we would still have 1 trophy, if not more. No Rodgers means TT and his posse would be forced to build an actual team instead of relying on just 1 player. And if that team was underperforming for a few years after Favre's departure I don't think McCarthy, Capers, or TT would be around...which would also increase championship odds.

Or... the Packers would have descended into the depths of mediocrity. Those of you who would claim that "mediocrity" is where we're at now are young or have a very selective memory. For the sake of argument, let's say Rodgers DIDN'T fall in the draft and was drafted by one of the 24 teams ahead of the Pack ... what's to say that Rodgers wasn't drafted by Green Bay - instead, Green Bay took Jason Campbell and the Redskins took Rodgers with the next pick ... so Rodgers is a 'Skin - how does that turn out?

"And if that team was underperforming for a few years after Favre's departure..." YEARS?? Let's talk DECADES ... if you think high caliber NFL QB1's grow on a tree until they're ripe enough to be drafted by the Green Bay Packers, you're in for a painful future as a Packers' fan. There are a whole bunch of guys who ascended to the ranks of Thompson, McCarthy, Murphy ... et al ... who never find that 'gem'. Sometimes, they luck out. Read: Brady in N.E. - drafted in the 6th round, probably as 'camp meat" (see his Michigan stats), becomes THE GUY by default (injury) and is dropped into the perfect system for him to excel, lead by a guy whose NFL Head Coaching record was 36-44. 5-11 the year before and 11-5 in that magical first Brady year. So in the chicken/egg format -- what came first? Arguably the best QB1 of all time cleverly hidden in the body of work that is pre-Belichik Brady? Or ... arguably the Greatest head coach of all time cleverly hidden in the pre-Brady Belichik?

Man, you're talking kismet here. Stuff like that happens only in Disney movies.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or... the Packers would have descended into the depths of mediocrity. Those of you who would claim that "mediocrity" is where we're at now are young or have a very selective memory. For the sake of argument, let's say Rodgers DIDN'T fall in the draft and was drafted by one of the 24 teams ahead of the Pack ... what's to say that Rodgers wasn't drafted by Green Bay - instead, Green Bay took Jason Campbell and the Redskins took Rodgers with the next pick ... so Rodgers is a 'Skin - how does that turn out?

1 Super Bowl in a decade with Rodgers at the helm is mediocrity. 1 Super Bowl with a head coach who can't call a game based upon situational means is mediocrity. 1 Super Bowl with a defensive coordinator who is too stubborn to change his scheme to play to his players' strengths is mediocrity. 1 Super Bowl with a GM who doesn't primarily draft for need or spend money on necessary free agent talent is mediocrity. 1 Super Bowl with a CEO who doesn't hold all coaches accountable to achieve greatness is mediocrity.

We as Packers fans have understanably high standards in terms of our definition of success. The past 10 years with Rodgers have been mediocre at best (I would call it a complete & utter failure). We have been spoiled with having back-to-back hall of fame QB's and the entire organization has failed to surround those QB's with adequate player & coaching talent for most of their careers, especially with Rodgers. Things went south immediately after Murphy was named CEO and it is his fault for not holding anyone in the front office or coaching ranks accountable for their abysmal performance.

This is a TEAM sport and the Packers have abandoned that mantra since Murphy, McCarthy, and Thompson took over. THEY are the problem.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 Super Bowl in a decade with Rodgers at the helm is mediocrity. 1 Super Bowl with a head coach who can't call a game based upon situational means is mediocrity. 1 Super Bowl with a defensive coordinator who is too stubborn to change his scheme to play to his players' strengths is mediocrity. 1 Super Bowl with a GM who doesn't primarily draft for need or spend money on necessary free agent talent is mediocrity. 1 Super Bowl with a CEO who doesn't hold all coaches accountable to achieve greatness is mediocrity.

We as Packers fans have understanably high standards in terms of our definition of success. The past 10 years with Rodgers have been mediocre at best (I would call it a complete & utter failure). We have been spoiled with having back-to-back hall of fame QB's and the entire organization has failed to surround those QB's with adequate player & coaching talent for most of their careers, especially with Rodgers. Things went south immediately after Murphy was named CEO and it is his fault for not holding anyone in the front office or coaching ranks accountable for their abysmal performance.

This is a TEAM sport and the Packers have abandoned that mantra since Murphy, McCarthy, and Thompson took over. THEY are the problem.
I want to agree with this. I really do. Maybe even rank it as "winner."
But I can't do that until I am convinced that it is all on the coaches and not on the players and circumstances such as injury.
Couldn't it be a combination of all of those?
Coaches are to blame up to a point.
They are not the ones out there missing tackles, blowing coverages or dropping passes on O or D for an INT.
Etc, etc.

Reaction score
If GB hit on the draft where several players were award winning (rookie of the year) types out of the gate, including a LB and WR Then we bring in a Superior Defensive mind that brings with him a couple of Defensive players that are high impact.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
...and what if Favre and Rodgers are both "System" QB's and we just don't know it yet because all of soothsayer's crystal balls are wrong?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts