***Images in Posts***

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love that people are taking the time to put images in their posts. The trouble with how 99% of everyone is doing it is, you are linking to an image on another site. This is ok and looks nice for a while, but when people take those images off their server or move them to another directory your posts will be all jacked up here. I have added the ability to upload pictures (and other files) to your posts.

Check this out. That way they will always be on the post.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay - I'll give it a go...

Question - When the attachments are uploaded, are they re-accessible?
Meaning - can we regain access to that image for another thread sometime.....
Or is that a private access, that only you can see?
Also - I would expect you've already added a 300Gb Hdd for that issue (probably).
That , or something similar, being the case - we shouldn't have to be expected to stop uploading attachments for quite some time, then.. correct?

IMO - I would be prepping for a doubling of the Membership right as the Pre-season begins... more like tripling - the word is out and interest is growing... Several of the IPB site are already here and I fully expect quite a few more that care about the Internet to stop by in the near future. I have no doubt that all of the other Clubs are spreading the word about PackerForum around, as well.

• Baltimore Cheesheads
    Florida Packfans
    MemphisPackerBackers
    NashvillePackerBackers
    BuckeyePackerBackers
    IPB
    St.LouisPackerBackers
    TulsaPackerBackers
    CheddarheadsofHouston
    PackPacific
    NorthwestPackerBackers
    IdahoPackerBackers
I'm sure there's more - but we're still out there searching for those we've haven't found as yet....

OP
OP
R

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't added space but I have been talking to my corporate dell rep about pricing on a new server. We will see how we do. If I have to diable uploading files if we start filling the HD I will do so until I can get something in here with a hot swap RAID 5 that we can just keep adding to. At that point I may start asking for monetary assistance as I don't want to bite off $1500-2k on my own for what started as a website for fun and love of the team!

Also I have limited the size of files that can be uploaded, so that will help keep things under control as well.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You probably already know this too - but go to www.slickdeals.net and monitor for larger Hdd sales.... Unless you can't configure for that type of arrangement thru the linking back the the Hosting Service.

Just a suggestion!

OP
OP
R

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you can't configure for that type of arrangement thru the linking back the the Hosting Service.
You guys forget I don't use anything but me. This gear is all in my basement :) I can do WHATEVER I want :joy:

But I will watch for some. Perhaps if the box I am running now isn't being over utilized I can just get some big SATA or IDE drives and move over to them. I am going to be bringing up another box to load balance and mirror the site and SQL DB to as well just in case. I back up daily (to tape and another server on my network) as well so we will never really lose anything

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - We're using HostOnce.com and I'm working now to create a multi-task Linux box using enterprise 3 or 4 (not sure yet which) - adding MySQL and PHP layering, for a private members only message board and business interface for the members who run their own companies and want to provide discount services locally.. I'm not gonna hold down the fort with the IPB stuff - if someone else wants to step in and let me relax for awhile - then there'll be almost no transition issues. We just need to mirror. HostOnce allows unlimited email address creation - which is automatically beneficial to the club members. In the beginning, there'll be no way our limitations would be reached. You running AMD or Intel over there - what ya got?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words in art but much more in the world of servers and electronic storage.

Thank you Ryan. Having the Forum is nice. Being a long distance from Packerland it is very nice to communicate and learn from fellow Packer fans. I can see you put a lot of effort into it and as it grows I hope you can keep it from developing into a consuming monster.

When you are open to the public, there is an occaisional jerk that floats through you have to do something about. Fortunately, most are Packer fans so there are few problems.

Thanks again for your service to the Packer online community.

OP
OP
R

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad you like the site cheez. have no ambition to go commercial, and no time to support something like that.

IPB - AMD on this current server, will be going to xeon on the new one that I am looking at. bigger boy, better toy.

OP
OP
R

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, out shirts are in the wings still. I want to get that other "theme" working and then a new logo and then maybe get some made up. A little while out.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would comment on this post but I CAN EVEN READ THESE WORDS. You must be speaking Greek or something. Wait I know it's not Greek it's Geek.

OP
OP
R

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry wpr. I was just saying instead of using the [ img] tags to make a picture show up (from another website)in your posts, that you can now upload a file from your machine and that way it will stay on our site, for good. If you notice when you are making a new post (not using the "Quick Reply" box) there is an area for file attachments. That's where you would upload the pictures you would like to show up.

Everyone is still welcome to use the { img] tags, just wanted everyone to know there is another method!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure Ryan. I caught that part. it's when you said that you were getting or thinking of getting a new computer that you started to sound like my son.
:wink:
The only part I understood was that it is going to cost more money. :shock:

When techs, my son, ect ask me about my computer I say "I dunno. I don't even know where to look." :comp:

OP
OP
R

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's when you said that you were getting or thinking of getting a new computer that you started to sound like my son.
Gotcha gotcha. Well we can get into what all that means at a different time. Your son would understand, it's a pretty basic server setup ;)

PackerCoz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Okay - I'll give it a go...

Question - When the attachments are uploaded, are they re-accessible?
Meaning - can we regain access to that image for another thread sometime.....
Or is that a private access, that only you can see?
Also - I would expect you've already added a 300Gb Hdd for that issue (probably).
That , or something similar, being the case - we shouldn't have to be expected to stop uploading attachments for quite some time, then.. correct?

IMO - I would be prepping for a doubling of the Membership right as the Pre-season begins... more like tripling - the word is out and interest is growing... Several of the IPB site are already here and I fully expect quite a few more that care about the Internet to stop by in the near future. I have no doubt that all of the other Clubs are spreading the word about PackerForum around, as well.

• Baltimore Cheesheads
    Florida Packfans
    MemphisPackerBackers
    NashvillePackerBackers
    BuckeyePackerBackers
    IPB
    St.LouisPackerBackers
    TulsaPackerBackers
    CheddarheadsofHouston
    PackPacific
    NorthwestPackerBackers
    IdahoPackerBackers
I'm sure there's more - but we're still out there searching for those we've haven't found as yet....
I will honestly tell you that in order to FULLY APPRECIATE what being a Packer fan is, you have to attend one of the above sites on a game day! It will turn you into a Packer fan 4ever!!! I attended the Tulsa PackerBackers (www.tulsa-packerbackers.org) and I have been an AVID Packers fan ever since. Just check the above locations on Google, to check for the location nearest you! Believe me... it is well worth it!!! :pals:

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we were in Kiln Mississippi, a few years back, there is a big sign on the convenience store that states Mississippi Packer Backers. wonder if they have a web site. They might as the first sign you see when you arrive in town is HOME OF BRETT FAVRE

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan-

Can you tell me how I can create a photo album? It doesn't appear that I can upload my images.

Nevermind. I finally found the "upload file" button at the top.

Members online

Latest posts