Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't these Millionaires and Billionaires (As is the case of most NFL owners) just thank military personnel for what they do without having to be paid? Without our military their money wouldn't help them a bit if we were taken over by another country. I'm surprised that Americans don't still understand this. This is wrong, no one can tell me otherwise, and I'm sorry if Ted and Mark want to take the money, they can consider it severance pay as far as I'm concerned.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just hearing a report that 14 teams accepted a total of 5.4 million dollars from the military to honor American troops. Of this 5.4 Million the decision makers in Green Bay CHOSE to take $600,000. If this is true I've officially had it with those whole regime, and want them fired. You do NOT honor our soldiers for money! Sorry for the downer post, but I had to share this.
Instead of complaining about that, make it a complaint that the $$$ the milatary spend on advertisement, they could use that $ to pay soldiers more

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't these Millionaires and Billionaires (As is the case of most NFL owners) just thank military personnel for what they do without having to be paid? Without our military their money wouldn't help them a bit if we were taken over by another country. I'm surprised that Americans don't still understand this. This is wrong, no one can tell me otherwise, and I'm sorry if Ted and Mark want to take the money, they can consider it severance pay as far as I'm concerned.

Then there's no point in prolonging the agony.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought you were gone... BTW, Thompson has nothing to do with this. He's GM and VP of football operations.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it's NOT wrong. The military has an annual marketing budget. This is part of that budget. This isn't going to cause any veterans to lose their medical coverage. It isn't taking food out of anyone's mouth. It isn't causing anyone to go into combat without body armor. This is the same money that goes into developing the newest version of the "America's Army" video game.

Thompson and Murphy aren't going anywhere, nor should they!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Military is a business, the NFL is a business, together they conduct.....business. Any comments we all have on the right or wrong of is just our social judgement on their business.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I think that we can lock this thread. I think Whatthehellisgoinonoutthere turned in his Green Bay Packers card and left the forum and nobody has backed up his position.

However, if you are still lurking out there somewhere Whatthehellisgoinonoutthere, there's no shame on here. We'll welcome you back. I've made dumber posts for sure!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of complaining that other people don't do more, why don't you give more money to the military? How about getting off your lazy ***, getting a 2nd job, invest in something risky, work 18 hr days, 7 days a week, and then give all your money, except mortgage/clothes/food - minimal survival - and give it to the military?

Or is it only fun to complain that other people don't do more?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Ok, let's put this into perspective. $5.4 million over 4 years. That's $1.35 million per year. If all 32 teams did it, that's $42,000 a year. So, let's get upset over a team taking in $42,000 a year from the Military for advertising. Now, let's take a look at a Flyover to start the game. 4 F-16's, About 1.2 hours flying time. Roughly 1,800 gallons of jet fuel per plane. Even at the low rate of $1 a gallon, a flyover for every home game comes to $57,000 a year just in fuel. Now, throw in the cost of the maintenance of the aircraft and the price goes up to about $600,000 a year for a 4 plane flyover per 8 home games a year.

You know what this is? This is someone wanting to ***** about something and they are trying to make it out to be more that what it is. The number amounts to 0.00021% of the defense department budget over the last 4 years. I can tell you with certainty that the military has wasted more money flying bogus air to air intercepts over Washington DC the last 4 years that cost more money than this.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you need to step back and take a deep breath before turning your Packer Fan Card in for good. Think of all the good things the Packers have done for families, individuals, communities, the state of Wisconsin and service members. Green Bay is more times than not a shining example of what is right in sports and that's something to be proud of. Also, could you imagine a pro franchise opening up in a market the size of Green Bay nowadays? No friggin way! I feel truly blessed to have been born in Milwaukee and never given a choice as to what my favorite team was. I get chills when I turn on the TV and see the shots of GB as they do the intro for the game and think of how no other city or franchise has that kind of "college town" atmosphere. Hell, I may be looking at this way too deeply but I like to think of the way Ted build the team as more American (old school America that is) than any other in the league as well. So many teams (or businesses) outsource just about everything i.e. free agents or call centers in India or manufacturing plants in Budapest but the Packers build through draft and develop and look from within when it's time to move people up the food chain. Yes we sometimes bring in a new player from a different team but most times our growth happens from within. When you look at the big picture GB is one heckuva franchise and I would put it up against any other in all of sport when it comes to ethics and doing things the "right way." At the end of the day the Packers run a business and the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. Below is part of an article discussing how the Packers have never hid from the fact they receive money from sponsors (regardless of your personal feelings that what Military Branches are) and it appears to me to be nothing more than 2 groups doing what they both deem to be good business...

The Wisconsin National Guard said it entered into a marketing campaign with the Packers to aid in recruitment, retention and awareness about Guard activities.

"As part of the program ... some was recruiting with appearances by military members," said Maj. Paul Rickert, director of public affairs for the Wisconsin National Guard. "To say the bulk of that cost was to have members appear would not be accurate."

According to federal reports, the Packers received $60,000 in 2009, $173,134 in 2010, $400,000 in 2011, $150,000 in 2012 and $50,000 in 2014 from the National Guard, a five-year total of $833,134.

The Guard and the Packers have a long-running relationship, Rickert said.

"The Packers organization is one of the highest-attended teams in the league and we're going to put our marketing dollars where they are going to do the most," Rickert said. "It makes a lot of sense to spend some of our marketing dollars where it would be seen by the most number of people."

This is simply capitalism at work with one group maximizing it's marketing budget as they see fit. I respect Senator Flake as he is one of the few frugal spenders in Washington and a known opponent to anything pork. With that said I think he took this one a bit too far but that's just me. Have a great one y'all. G P G!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well I think that we can lock this thread. I think Whatthehellisgoinonoutthere turned in his Green Bay Packers card and left the forum and nobody has backed up his position.

However, if you are still lurking out there somewhere Whatthehellisgoinonoutthere, there's no shame on here. We'll welcome you back. I've made dumber posts for sure!
Ain't that the truth! :p

We all have.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I see you keep logging in

Why keep coming back if you said you were done?

We can delete your account of you want.

Do you want this thread to be locked because you just mis-spoke?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another possibility is not to enter a thread you know upsets you.
It wasn't that the thread upset me as much as I found it useless. I think it's ok to leave a reply like that. Either way, just not that big of a deal. And anyway, the poster has apparently left both the thread and the forum based on replies. If he/she was that upset, leaving is probably a good thing. Comments like that are better directed to the team management directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.