If true I'm done

Status
Not open for further replies.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just hearing a report that 14 teams accepted a total of 5.4 million dollars from the military to honor American troops. Of this 5.4 Million the decision makers in Green Bay CHOSE to take $600,000. If this is true I've officially had it with those whole regime, and want them fired. You do NOT honor our soldiers for money! Sorry for the downer post, but I had to share this.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything is for sale especially patriotism for big business in our capitalistic economy. There is absolutely nothing patriotic about sports but we nevertheless get a ton of flag waving. Sports is entertainment! If sports is patriotic then you might as well play the national anthem before Seinfeld reruns because it's also entertainment. I love football and the Packers along with a healthy dose of cynicism.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just hearing a report that 14 teams accepted a total of 5.4 million dollars from the military to honor American troops. Of this 5.4 Million the decision makers in Green Bay CHOSE to take $600,000. If this is true I've officially had it with those whole regime, and want them fired. You do NOT honor our soldiers for money! Sorry for the downer post, but I had to share this.

Ludacris.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The military has a marketing budget, I do not care how they choose to spend it. Considering a good portion of the "news" we get to consume every day is nothing more than paid for advertising and the "experts" are also paid for to deliver a prepackaged message, I don't mind if they want to use their marketing money to "honor troops" at an NFL game.

It's probably some of the most bang for buck marketing dollars the military spends. Perfect demographics to market to, captive audience, etc.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they took the money to cover the expenses I think it is a very low priority issue. Maybe a 2 on a scale of 1-10. If they profited from it that is a different story.

I would suggest waiting for all the facts to come in before rushing to judgement but I would be wasting my time. Seems rushing to judgement and jumping to conclusions is the only exercise some people get.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure would knock the heck out of the number of posts on the sports forums. :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Let’s weigh this: Whatthehellsgoinonouthere is officially done being a Packers fan and/or posting here vs. firing Mark Murphy and the executive board (and board of directors?). Wow, tough call. :D

From what I’ve read about the Packers involvement in this, IMO the heart of the question is, should the military have a marketing budget in order to recruit and retain personnel? If you think that’s OK, should the Packers accept payment for such marketing?
"This isn't, as some might think, payment for unfurling a flag or to welcome a soldier home on the field," National Guard spokesman Rick Breitenfeldt told ESPN. "This is more about spending for marketing and advertising, for signage, for website takeovers."
The Packers have a partnership with the Wisconsin National Guard. Here’s what the Packers had to say about it:
"The Green Bay Packers have a long and proud history of recognizing and working with the men and women of the US military that has taken a variety of forms," Packers spokesman Aaron Popkey said in a statement, "including care packages, community service projects for veterans, and National Guard send-off, welcome-home and change-of-command ceremonies, and GI Joe vs. Pro events. On gamedays, our recognition has included re-enlistment ceremonies, drill team performances, military music performances of the national anthem, various salutes to military personnel and video board visits with military personnel overseas. Most of these events and recognitions have been without a formal partnership. "The Packers’ partnership with the Wisconsin National Guard is similar to our other partnerships in that it includes traditional marketing aspects designed to address its objectives, which are recruiting, retention and awareness. It featured advertising on TundraVision, stadium signage and Packers.com, as well as sponsorship of other programs and events such as the high school coach of the week, a job fair for veterans and a continuing medical education program. Our partnership arrangement does not simply focus on one specific event, but is comprised of many different features."
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/303314201.html

Back to the basic question: Unless we go back to the military draft, I think it’s reasonable for all branches of the military to have marketing budgets. I'd have a problem with the Packers refusing to advertise for the military.

Since it is true, adios Whatthehellsgoinonouthere. ;)

Reaction score
Listen. I don't anyone "bailing" from the website. I really don't. We can't let stuff like this get in our heads and hearts and change who we are.
But come to think of it.. It has been a little crowded in here lately. Would this provide more opportunity to be heard?

H

HardRightEdge

What's the difference between a branch of the armed forces buying TV time to run PR/recruiting commercials vs. paying the Packers to do the same kinds of stuff in front of a crowd or that at times shows up on TV?

Very little. Either way the money flows either directly to the Packers or indirectly through apportionment of the TV contract revenue.

Or look at it this way...should the networks give away free air time for PR/recruiting ads when the Defense Department has a $500 billion - $1 trillion budget depending on the current state of war? If not, then why should the Packers not accept payment for running ads on the scoreboard?

However, if the military is paying the Packers to use the venue to honor military personnel, then there's plenty of cynicism to go around.

H

HardRightEdge

Let’s weigh this: Whatthehellsgoinonouthere is officially done being a Packers fan and/or posting here vs. firing Mark Murphy and the executive board (and board of directors?). Wow, tough call. :D

From what I’ve read about the Packers involvement in this, IMO the heart of the question is, should the military have a marketing budget in order to recruit and retain personnel? If you think that’s OK, should the Packers accept payment for such marketing? The Packers have a partnership with the Wisconsin National Guard. Here’s what the Packers had to say about it: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/303314201.html

Back to the basic question: Unless we go back to the military draft, I think it’s reasonable for all branches of the military to have marketing budgets. I'd have a problem with the Packers refusing to advertise for the military.

Since it is true, adios Whatthehellsgoinonouthere. ;)
There's a very fine line in those quotes you provided:

On the one hand, "This isn't, as some might think, payment for unfurling a flag or to welcome a soldier home on the field," National Guard spokesman Rick Breitenfeldt told ESPN.

On the other hand, Popkey noted that some of the sponsored events include: "National Guard send-off, welcome-home and change-of-command ceremonies" and "on gamedays, our recognition has included re-enlistment ceremonies [and] various salutes to military personnel and video board visits with military personnel overseas.

Is there really a difference between honoring a soldier on the field and saluting him on the scoreboard? I think not.

I would hope the military pays the servicemen for their appearances in these commercials just as an actor in a "be all you can be" commercial would be. Otherwise, it does smack of exploitation.

D

Dan115

Hey gang,

bye

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard well before this that on days like Thanksgiving when they show the troops that its really a paid ad for the military. Its still cool and the money doesn't make me view it differently.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with the Packers accepting money for advertising. Sports marketing is a business and it's not shameful. The military routinely sponsors NASCAR teams, and we're not talking just side patches but main sponsors. The military needs to continually attract fit, young, impressional men. Advertising during sporting events is one of the most effective ways that they see to accomplish their mission. We could get into a debate about whether that is the best use of their funds, but I wouldn't berate the sports leagues for accepting money unless you're against capitalistic markets.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just hearing a report that 14 teams accepted a total of 5.4 million dollars from the military to honor American troops. Sorry for the downer post, but I had to share this.

You really don't want to know what "fly overs" of sporting events cost tax payers then. These are budgeted expenditures garnered from tax dollars and are considered to be "training missions" . So I am guessing that "all the rookies" get the honor of flying over stadiums as they practice maneuvers over crowded enemy stadiums. "Talk to me goose" :tdown:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought they were coincidentally on their way to intercept Russian bombers at the start of every game! :confused:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will say, I have been in a stadium during a flyover and for the 3 seconds of "thrill time" I can't help but to stop and think "how many school lunches (fill in any program in need), did that just cost?". The flyover before the Packers last Super Bowl in Arlington cost $109,000 just for fuel. Some put the total cost at $450,000. Did I mention the dome was closed for that flyover? :confused:

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stuff like this has been going on for ages. I sort of suspected it earlier in my life and once I took marketing classes in college, it sort of confirmed it to me, that lots of what we see is pre packaged, not just football, baseball, local news , local events the list goes on and on. In this case I was not to upset because it comes from a marketing fund, I do think ts a bit deceitful marketing, but then most 99% of all marketing is. As for profitting from this money, im sure thats where the money went for the other NFL teams that took the money. The Packers are a bit different here, that money gets pumped back into the Packers organization, since the Packers are a non profit team. unlike other teams where the money ends up with the owners, the money the Packers get, gets reapplied to keep the team going and keep the team in Green Bay.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say, I have been in a stadium during a flyover and for the 3 seconds of "thrill time" I can't help but to stop and think "how many school lunches (fill in any program in need), did that just cost?".

You mean this stuff?:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
^^^ Momma San is a school cook. Stuff like that she wouldn't serve. She convinced the school board to get out of the state food program. Private schools have options. They were sending stuff not much more appealing than that. Also the serving sizes and choices were not what she'd feed her own children. Most of the kids actually eat their veggies, broccolli included.

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Did you think that Dale Jr. Has been painting his #88 car with the National Guard paint scheme for free?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you think that Dale Jr. Has been painting his #88 car with the National Guard paint scheme for free?

I got quite a chuckle out of this. Thank you for making my day

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a completely overused quote from an Adam ******* movie that perfectly describes my thoughts on the op but I won't waste my time putting it here.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Later gator.

ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

The NFL first had a marketing plan with the Bears, but found the drool of the average Bear fan interfered with the firing mechanism on a M16.

They then turned to the Vikings and . . .

(Somebody want to take over on this bit?)

4foxes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I understand what your saying, but did you really think that all the teams that took the money would do it for free. Sorry nothing in this life is free anymore it's all about the all mighty dollar. The NFL is a very big money making machine and we enjoy watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts