If this season doesn't turn around...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking:

What if the Packers were the team on the clock for the first pick in next year's draft? Would any of you select Matt Leinert from USC even though we spent this year's first pick on Rodgers? Heck, even if we picked in the top 5, would you package a deal that included Rodgers to move up and get this kid from USC? Somebody said on the radio yesterday that he would be an NFL starter right now because he has all the tools. A Pro-Bowler in the making they say....

Who pulls the trigger on this one?

BTW, I want to stress the "hypothetical" here...I'm still hoping the Pack pull out of this mess yet this season.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No!

We spent a #1 choice on Rodgers who has all the tools to be a great QB. By the time the draft comes around, Rodgers will have 1 year of NFL experience more than Leinert. That experience will include learning from Favre, learning about his teammates and learning the GB playbook.

There are plenty of other positions that could benefit from a quality high draft pick, such as a top LB, RB, DB, DT or DE. We are going to lose either (or both) Green or Davenport in the offseason. Grady's definitely gone considering his threatened hold-out. We always seem thin at both CB and safety.

We could also benefit from trading out of the top 5-10 picks by gaining a number of extra picks -- which wouldn't tie up a huge chunk of cap space on a single rookie. TT has already shown how well he can do with extra picks.

Whatever the case, there's no reason to dump Rodgers before even seeing what he can do.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting a QB in the 1st round is extremely risky business. Look around at all the can't miss QB's that were great in college and simply collapsed in the NFL. All of a sudden you have a can't miss guy hauling in very big bucks for being a flop. Just because a QB is a superstar in college DOES NOT make him an NFL QB.
In 1972 there was a great college QB at Nebraska who anyone who knew anything about football said was going to be an NFL great. Guess what,
The Packers drafted him with their 2nd 1st round pick (# 11 overall) and guess what, he was a huge flop.
It happens alot. It seems like most of the really good QB's come out of the later rounds and don't have that can't miss superstar label attached to them when they arrive in the NFL.
In 1981 the Packers made a QB from California their #1 pick (#6 overall)
and, you guessed it, another flop.
That kind of history made me nervous about the Rogers pick. Only time will tell if history repeats itself.
I say forget about Leinert and let someone else spend the big bucks to toss the dice.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate USC and can't wait to see Notre Dame put them in their place 2 weeks from now. Brady Quinn will showcase his talents.

Oh....to answer your question.....IN A SECOND! I would take Leinart and trade Rodgers ....nothing against Rodgers but he is not a sure thing. Leinart is.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I hate USC and can't wait to see Notre Dame put them in their place 2 weeks from now. Brady Quinn will showcase his talents.

Oh....to answer your question.....IN A SECOND! I would take Leinart and trade Rodgers ....nothing against Rodgers but he is not a sure thing. Leinart is.

Are you kidding?? There are no sure things when it comes to rookie QBs.

Leinart is surrounded with great talent playing against teams with lesser talent. There's no way to predict how he'll perform in the NFL.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leinart is running a pro style offense already. Most of the early first round busts come from a gimmick offense or play against lesser competition. In my humble opinion....Leinart is a sure thing.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Click the invisible link below this line.

www.drafthistory.com/teams/packers.html

Click the invisible link above this line.

^^that is classic^^

Until I can get this problem corrected, if you guys use the [ url] tags the links will show up correctly! You can also use the
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
button when you click on Reply. If you have questions on doing this look HERE.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Leinart is running a pro style offense already. Most of the early first round busts come from a gimmick offense or play against lesser competition. In my humble opinion....Leinart is a sure thing.

Thanks for the post DePack...now to my question, would you draft him if you had the opportunity to do so in spite of Aaron Rodgers? Maybe package a deal that includes him.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love the draft, i love plotting when we pick in the high 20's, and i love it even more when we pick where i think we're gonna pick this season....

to answer the question...NO

we picked a QB, we're committed to aaron rodgers for at least two years of playing time after favre...and we owe it to aaron rodgers to give him a fighting chance, give him a new head coach with a more evolved offensive system

there is talent abound in this draft...if anything i expect TT to trade down and get us some extra picks--more shots at the abundance of talent this draft has to offer...

i'm getting on my soapbox here and saying...draft defensively...i love what jim bates has done with this defense, but they're not GOOD, they're overachieving...jim bates doesn't have his zack thomas, patrick surtain, jason taylor caliber players in green bay...there are some good ones available next year

Ahmad Brooks, MLB from Virginia, would've went top ten if he came out this year...Mathias Kiwanuka, DE from BC, 6'7, a freak of nature, a Kearse/Freeney type pass rusher only larger...Rodrique Wright from Texas, Haloti Ngata from Oregon are stud DT's...Darnell Bing is an outstanding safety from USC...we need to draft defense EARLY this time by

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, even if we end up with one of the top 5 picks overall my gut tells me TT will trade it away for more picks. Wherever we end up picking, I'd like to see some kind of Defensive stud.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO - Just use the draft to patch the holes in the O-Line. With a good line, any quarterback can look like a super-star!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Yes, even if we end up with one of the top 5 picks overall my gut tells me TT will trade it away for more picks. Wherever we end up picking, I'd like to see some kind of Defensive stud.

and i love this philosophy...thompson moved around last april, we ended up with extra picks netting players like mike hawkins, junius coston, will whitticker, kurt campbell...they didnt contribute much or anything yet but if you keep drafting talent at this quantity, you're gonna hit gold eventually...

jimmy johnson did the same thing in miami and got jason taylor, zack thomas in later rounds, he took a chance late on the troubled halfback cecil 'the diesel' collins which didn't produce, but people with that great of talent you'd rather draft and take a look for yourself than pass on and see have successes with another team...i expect big things out of mike hawkins and will whitticker (despite his troubles in his...first three games), and that was just TT's first draft

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say pick him...

I have a feeling Aaron Rodgers is going to be a bust...like Ryan Leaf!

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we have the first pick in this year's draft, there's no doubt about TT trading out of it and getting more picks. I'd like to see us pick up a linebacker or maybe Mathias Kiwanuka in the first round.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

I would agree with DePack that I would take Leinart. I would differ slightly though in that I would say there is no such thing as a sure thing, but I think the odds are much better that Leinart could be a
star in the NFL compared to Rodgers.

If Leinart is as good as a lot of scouts think, you just can't pass that type of talent up even if you have a QB on the roster.

I'm not too worked up about it though. I think the Arizona Cardinals have the lead track so far to the #1 pick. :D

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
If Leinart is as good as a lot of scouts think, you just can't pass that type of talent up even if you have a QB on the roster.

You mean in the same sense that if Aaron Rodgers is given the oppertunity to show if he is as good as a lot of the scouts thought before the draft, we could possibly have the next Bret Favre?

Choosing another QB with a first-round pick next year would be extremely foolish, IMO. Another QB is not going to fare any better than Rodgers if he does not have the help he needs beside him on offense, nor will we win games if our defense cannot stop the other team from outscoring us. Besides, Rodgers has only played in 4 NFL games to date, which can hardly be used as a barometer to gauge whether we should cut him or not. Why would you automatically assume Leinart will do any better playing pro ball? He has played exactly 0 games in the NFL.

I'd go for a solid RB with the first round pick. Green will not be a producer forever, and could potentially be gone next season. Rodgers has the skill set to get the job done at the Pro level. He just needs practice and experience.

Just one man's opinion.

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

Members online

Latest posts