IF the NFL Cancels 2020 Season - What would it look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

Evidently the NBA had the right to stop player payments under the force majeur provision in their CBA once the season was suspended. They continued to pay players through 3/31. What they've decided to do as of 4/1, I've not seen a report. Nice guys? Or not confident of their legal standing? I couldn't say,

According to ESPN the NBA paid players their checks on April 1, but haven't committed yet to next payments due on April 15.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhh yes, all my thoughts and question need to be repeated into every single post I make. You pay attention correct? you've probably read some of my questions

and yes, you're being a little dramatic with the caskets. 500 people a day across 7.5 Billion. Do the math. We could quadruple it today and it still wouldn't bump the death rate to any appreciable level. Life and death happen, every single day. call it bold if you must.

hey, you have it, now go home to your family.

Media interpretation, if you get really sick and they eventually take you back to the hospital, it's so infectious and deadly you must die alone

Bold statement. Should make you ask questions.
while I partly agree with your "overreacting" statement. mostly due to the media coverage.

the UK alone lost over 700 people in one day related to covid 19, so i have no idea where you're getting 500 deaths per day worldwide

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any situation under the sun where the NFL is cancelled but the NCAA continues on. People would be screaming that student athletes were being put at risk, while the pros are protected. Isn't going to happen, no way.

I know people are wanting to beat you up here, so I will say I understand your point, to some extent. 1300 people a day die in the US due to smoking-related illnesses, and nobody bats an eye. 12,000-61,000 flu deaths every year in the US, and nobody is closing schools or not letting you buy books at Walmart. People die in helicopters, but no one mentions it unless it's Kobe Bryant.

But that doesn't mean the situation isn't serious, I definitely believe it is. Also, there is a lot of harm being done by the response, we could end up pushing the country into a depression, people could lose their jobs, small businesses will close. Now we're hearing the first inklings of the supply chain being disrupted. If that happens, that's when you'll really see panic, chaos, and lawlessness. All in the name of slowing the virus. And that is supposed to decrease the number of deaths. And I hope it does, although sometimes I wonder, if this thing is as contagious as they say, if we're just delaying the inevitable. There may come a time when we all end up getting exposed, and find out if we get to survive or not. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it might.
I'm ok being beat up, and i've said all along this will be serious for some people. Deadly serious. Our capacity issue is an issue I know all to well about.

To put it simply, if the numbers they're reporting and talking about in public are real, flatten the curve will destroy society because it isn't going to be over in 2 weeks or even 2 months or 6.

Those waiting on a vaccine? Please 40 years on an HIV vaccine still nothing. 50+ working year in and out on influenza and that thing sucks. your absolute decrease in risk is 1-5% in any given year. Don't come back at me with some 60% ********, because i'm not here to have fun with numbers. Read what I say and if it doesn't make sense go find out why. your decrease in absolute risk is 1-5% in any given year, usually closer to 1%.

IF this thing is as they say, you're going to need to see a decrease in absolute risk of 80+%. Call me skeptical they'll crack corona in 6 months or less when they've failed to crack it before (it's not new) and we don't have a very good track record when it comes to these types of things. regardless by the time they could roll anything out in a year, you think society lasts that long in lock down? I don't.

People pissed off at college kids going to spring break. Why? exposing those people are exactly what is going to get this thing slowed down. As time passes more info is coming around that this stuff isn't exactly new, which is why there are so many that are unaffected by it. It does have new charactersitics vs previous iterations of this virus, but exposure to those prior helps. Get the young and healthy in it and over it. Keep the at risk isolated and heavily screen every person having contact, and yes despite the media covering every single "young healthy" death across multiple nations to create more fear and compliance, this is largely just an inconvenience of an illness for most if anything at all. Even with our extremely biased testing methods, the numbers bear that out already.

There are other ways to keep at risk safe by limiting their exposure vs limiting every other person that may cause them exposure.
while I partly agree with your "overreacting" statement. mostly due to the media coverage.

the UK alone lost over 700 people in one day related to covid 19, so i have no idea where you're getting 500 deaths per day worldwide
Because up to the point I made it, there were 56-57K total deaths since this started across the globe.

and I know full well that is going to rise and I accounted for it as well. My point was to illustrate they tout the numbers, but the numbers basically nothing when you account for all the numbers. Seriously. about 15 THOUSAND more people died each year for the past 5 years in this country up to this point of the year than have died this year in a pandemic. Think about it. we can lose 1000 a day for the next 2-3 weeks and that will just bring us back to "normal" in this country. People live, people die of something.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Really? As in free...free...freee? Wait a minute...how'd you know **** hub is free?

Moderator research is vital to the job.............honestly :whistling: That`s why they burn out quickly !

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Any guess on what the 2021 Draft order would be if there is no 2020 Season? I wouldn't think it would be "fair", to just repeat this years order. Maybe have a Draft Lottery to determine position, with every team getting an equal chance (1/32) at the #1 pick? The Packers could have a shot at drafting Trevor Lawrence after all!

Whatever the case may be, I think it would be helpful to have made that decision before the 2020 draft. Since it just might change the approach that some teams might take in this years draft. For instance, if the Bengals felt that there was a good chance that the 2020 Season was in jeopardy and they had 2 straight years of the first pick, maybe Trevor Lawrence is the guy they would rather have as their future QB starting in 2021.

ESPN could make a 3 hour event out of such a thing!

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully nobody is putting ANY stock into ANY said about medical issues, efficacy of vaccines, etc. here. Talk to your doctor. I don’t see any kind of normal season this fall, and honestly it’s nowhere even on the radar as far as importance goes. Hopefully if we’re smart 2021 will stay on the table. I could see them making some kind of adjustment for the 2021 draft maybe a modified reverse serpantine of some sort?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I’m just going to make light of this so don’t get excited by my cism, if season is canceled this year next year could be a first in NFL history, a 2021 season with 2 Super Bowls, Have the 17 game season cut in half to 7 games no wildcard teams just the 3 top seeds in playoffs, 2 lower teams play, winner to Championship game, then eliminate 2 week off SB wait just right to SB, the season will be be slight longer, because 1st SB was for 2020 season, 2 weeks off than 2021 season begins, same thing, 7 games same playoff and SB senerio, NFL won’t go for this but what the hell! 2 SB’s in 1 year, network ratings might like this probably fans “maybe” this is just my SWAG on this, so go ahead and hate! or not

D

Deleted member 6794

Any guess on what the 2021 Draft order would be if there is no 2020 Season?

Whatever the case may be, I think it would be helpful to have made that decision before the 2020 draft.

There aren't any rules governing the possible cancelation of the 2020 season, therefore nobody will be able to answer any of your questions. I highly doubt there will be any decisions make on it before the draft though.

I’m just going to make light of this so don’t get excited by my cism, if season is canceled this year next year could be a first in NFL history, a 2021 season with 2 Super Bowls, Have the 17 game season cut in half to 7 games no wildcard teams just the 3 top seeds in playoffs, 2 lower teams play, winner to Championship game, then eliminate 2 week off SB wait just right to SB, the season will be be slight longer, because 1st SB was for 2020 season, 2 weeks off than 2021 season begins, same thing, 7 games same playoff and SB senerio, NFL won’t go for this but what the hell! 2 SB’s in 1 year, network ratings might like this probably fans “maybe” this is just my SWAG on this, so go ahead and hate! or not

I'm sorry but having two Super Bowls during the 2021 season is a terrible idea.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the most difficult question is do the Bengals take Trevor Lawrence #1 overall after ruining Joe Burrow's career LOL

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the most difficult question is do the Bengals take Trevor Lawrence #1 overall after ruining Joe Burrow's career LOL
LOL

Well if they take Burrow's and there isn't a season, they won't know if they ruined him just yet. If that happens and the NFL keeps the same draft order for 2021, the Bengals might be wheeling and dealing that 2021 #1 pick to a team that really likes Lawrence.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

You need to lay off the Corona! ;)

I really don't think that is happening. Sure some teams start improving by midseason and some teams go the other direction, but typically, the strong teams would be at the top and the weak ones at the bottom for "both of your proposed seasons". 2 SB's would just water down the value of one.

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe have a Draft Lottery to determine position, with every team getting an equal chance (1/32) at the #1 pick?
That's wishful thinking.
Hopefully nobody is putting ANY stock into ANY said about medical issues, efficacy of vaccines, etc. here. Talk to your doctor.
There is tons of good information available from professionals in the field, epidemiologist and virologists, what is known and not known. It's like anything else. Consider the source.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
You need to lay off the Corona! ;)

I really don't think that is happening. Sure some teams start improving by midseason and some teams go the other direction, but typically, the strong teams would be at the top and the weak ones at the bottom for "both of your proposed seasons". 2 SB's would just water down the value of one.
Good comment, most posters would have went over board with a response..

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when you can't find fault in the message, find fault with the messenger.

Pretty sure I said if you don't understand, go find out why. You should verify things no matter who tells you something, because then you start to understand rather than have to be told what to think.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Any guess on what the 2021 Draft order would be if there is no 2020 Season? I wouldn't think it would be "fair", to just repeat this years order. Maybe have a Draft Lottery to determine position, with every team getting an equal chance (1/32) at the #1 pick? The Packers could have a shot at drafting Trevor Lawrence after all!

Whatever the case may be, I think it would be helpful to have made that decision before the 2020 draft. Since it just might change the approach that some teams might take in this years draft. For instance, if the Bengals felt that there was a good chance that the 2020 Season was in jeopardy and they had 2 straight years of the first pick, maybe Trevor Lawrence is the guy they would rather have as their future QB starting in 2021.

ESPN could make a 3 hour event out of such a thing!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

My cunning plan to determine 2021 draft order if 2020 is not played -

Line up all head coaches as of Sept. 2020 and have them run wind-sprints. The first one to drop out or puke gets pick 32 and the last coach standing earns the #1 overall pick for his team. The fact that GB has a relatively young, healthy, and not overweight coach is just a coincidence.

Also, I highly recommend binge watching all Blackadder episodes.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

My cunning plan to determine 2021 draft order if 2020 is not played -

Line up all head coaches as of Sept. 2020 and have them run wind-sprints. The first one to drop out or puke gets pick 32 and the last coach standing earns the #1 overall pick for his team. The fact that GB has a relatively young, healthy, and not overweight coach is just a coincidence.

Also, I highly recommend binge watching all Blackadder episodes.
That means the Chiefs pick 32nd every year...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
read this on a fb post

While it’s not the only disease in circulation, it’s the only disease cause massive economical hardships to many people and businesses. If people cared more about their community and how their behavior affects others, we could get a handle on this disease. Unfortunately, this country has turned into a “it doesn’t affect me so I don’t care” mentality.
I don’t know how many people are ignoring social distancing and stay at home orders - but my guess is that it’s a lot more than any of us would be ok with. I only go out for food and for medical appointments, that’s it, and I wear a face covering and gloves, and carry a supply of disinfectant wipes in the car. My guess is that if everyone was following these guidelines, we’d be much better off.

But if that bad behavior continues, there won’t be a college or pro football season. So to all on here, please follow the guidelines. I don’t care if there is a football season this year. I care about people staying alive.

We all love football or we wouldn’t be here. The forum provides a distraction from boredom. Nothing should provide a distraction from common sense. Stay safe all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know how many people are ignoring social distancing and stay at home orders - but my guess is that it’s a lot more than any of us would be ok with. I only go out for food and for medical appointments, that’s it, and I wear a face covering and gloves, and carry a supply of disinfectant wipes in the car. My guess is that if everyone was following these guidelines, we’d be much better off.

But if that bad behavior continues, there won’t be a college or pro football season. So to all on here, please follow the guidelines. I don’t care if there is a football season this year. I care about people staying alive.

We all love football or we wouldn’t be here. The forum provides a distraction from boredom. Nothing should provide a distraction from common sense. Stay safe all.
Unless they come up with a way that they can care for everyone quickly and effectively that need it, or just dumb luck, there is no way they're playing football this fall because everyone followed the guidelines.

At best it's keeping people from being exposed, which slows it and gives time for them to come up with something, but it is also just maintaining a nice fresh reservoir of bodies to infect once they join society and to slow the spread at this rate we're talking years, not weeks. The fact that people might do something you don't approve of isn't what is going to lengthen this, in fact it just might be what speeds it up while those most at risk, huddle up and stay safe as they should right now.

H

HardRightEdge

At best it's keeping people from being exposed, which slows it and gives time for them to come up with something, but it is also just maintaining a nice fresh reservoir of bodies to infect once they join society and to slow the spread at this rate we're talking years, not weeks.
Yes, current measures are having some affect in slowing transmission, but it is just a pause for the medical-industrial complex to get their arms around treating those infected and accumulating the data and running the models to get a handle on communicability and resistance to the virus. If social distancing and stay-at-home was lifted today, the experts expect that incidences would spike.

It comes down to herd immunity. That's achieved one of two ways. One is vaccination, which looks to be about a year away in development, followed by some period to actually give 10's of millions of people the shot. The other is a sufficient number of people get the virus, either never show symptoms or recover from them, and thereby develop the antibody resistance to it, and are no longer contagious.

Epidemiologists differ on how many people it takes to acheive herd immunity with this virus with incomplete information, but the estimates run around 60%, around 200 million in the US. Until a study can be performed where people who didn't present for treatement can be tested for the antibody, the level of herd immunity cannot be assessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.